Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Bugger! Got involved when I shouldn't have!

Bugger! Got involved when I shouldn't have!

Old Feb 12th 2006, 11:32 pm
Sunning it up in Benowa

Location: Body in benowa, Mind in Benowa, the whole fricking thing in benowa MAN !!!!!
Jane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Bugger! Got involved when I shouldn't have!

Originally Posted by glittababe
Arrrgghhhh don't you just hate work sometimes? Have been enjoying my last few weeks at work when a student nurse came to me in tears saying feel felt bullied and harrassed by her mentor. Now I know her mentor well so I can completely understand where shes coming from. Anyway, as she made the complaint I had to act on it. I had a word with her mentor who told me I didn't know the full story, so I said I'd listen and OMG what a cow! She really doesn't think shes done anything wrong! I'm a very non judgemental person when it comes to work, I have listened to both parties and I've completed a report. In doing so I have had to rattle a few cages. But the mentor had convinced out unit manager that this student nurse (who's successfully completed almost 3 yrs) shouldn't qualify! In fact she failed her on her practice! I have to stand up for what I believe in. I've worked many shifts with this student and have always been very impressed with her work.

Just can't believe I've taken on such a huge responsibility in the last 2 weeks! How can I possibly leave tho thinking that a very good nurse has been ousted out by a crap nurse that I'm surprised qualified in the first place!!!!! Ah woe is me!!!!

Good for you girl !!! I admire people who stand up for what they believe in we may have lost a really good nurse if it wasn't for u.
It took guts to do what you are doing and I wish you all the best of luck , It may make this other lady think twice before she treats people badly again
K sent to you
Jane xxx
Old Feb 13th 2006, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

Didnaeseeu is a jewel in the roughDidnaeseeu is a jewel in the roughDidnaeseeu is a jewel in the roughDidnaeseeu is a jewel in the roughDidnaeseeu is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Bugger! Got involved when I shouldn't have!

Arrrgghhhh don't you just hate work sometimes? Have been enjoying my last few weeks at work when a student nurse came to me in tears saying feel felt bullied and harrassed by her mentor. Now I know her mentor well so I can completely understand where shes coming from. Anyway, as she made the complaint I had to act on it. I had a word with her mentor who told me I didn't know the full story, so I said I'd listen and OMG what a cow! She really doesn't think shes done anything wrong! I'm a very non judgemental person when it comes to work, I have listened to both parties and I've completed a report. In doing so I have had to rattle a few cages. But the mentor had convinced out unit manager that this student nurse (who's successfully completed almost 3 yrs) shouldn't qualify! In fact she failed her on her practice! I have to stand up for what I believe in. I've worked many shifts with this student and have always been very impressed with her work.

Just can't believe I've taken on such a huge responsibility in the last 2 weeks! How can I possibly leave tho thinking that a very good nurse has been ousted out by a crap nurse that I'm surprised qualified in the first place!!!!! Ah woe is me!!!!
Huge well done to you, only too often qualified staff turn a blind eye and hope it'll all go away.

I only qualified last year and at one stage I would have been very happy to walk out, nothing specific happened, but one bad nurse can have so many re-percussions on the whole staff load.

I honestly started thinking after one placement in 2nd year that all nurses were complete and utter bitches, very very judgemental etc.... But sometimes a bad experience clouds your judgement and then the next placement they were all fab and so very helpful.

You would be the type of person I would work with anyday!!

well done again
Old Feb 13th 2006, 9:21 am

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rich and Angie
What you are doing is brilliant... if only more people were like you. Rich has worked with some crap nurses in his time and to be honest still does. The things he comes home and says makes me really worried to go into hospital.

If there are any bad nurses out there, they should be dealt with... cos after all they are treating sick people hopefully to make them well again.

Good on you and good luck to the student.
K sent

Ang x

Of course your right Ang, but it is very, very difficult, as i said, i done it, but don't know if i could again. In all honesty i think next time i'd take the cowards way out and find a new job
Old Feb 13th 2006, 9:21 am
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

Rest of colleagues think I'm mad, apparently this student has complained several times before about the way shes been treated and everyone else is too scared to get involved, fearing the backlash effect it can have. She even complained to the university who told her to just keep her head down and get on with it as shes almost qualified! Ah well, whats done is done and I'll feel better eventually!

You ve done the right thing its because not enough people stand up for themselves and others just sit and watch too scared to upset there safe bubble that bullys and tossers get away with it time after time!!!

you go girl!!!Hope it works out for her!!

Kris xx
Old Feb 13th 2006, 9:45 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hiya flower,
for whats its worth i think you did the right thing. I have been in a similar position myself and had to defend a student who got a raw deal from a racist nurse - not pleasant - and it got me a whole load of grief. but as i said to the matron - i can live with what they say behind my back because the people who matter, know i was right. what i couldnt live with was turning a blind eye to blatant racism against a young first year nurse who is just trying to do her best and learn. if you can live with your actions, then you did the right thing - if you couldnt live with turning a blind eye to it, then you did the right thing. Im sure your unit manager will take into account everyones opinions when it comes to signing this students work off, especailly if you make it clear that there was an obvious personality clash which put the student at unfair disadvantage. i remember being a student and feeling incredibly insecure and unassertive - surely your manager can be reminded of this if she says the student should have said something?
Far too many nurses are complacent to bullying colleagues - but in that students eyes you will be one of the few staff nurses who she will truly remember in the years to come as a true mentor = a role model, - she will learn from your courage and tact and you will have paved the way for another fantastic nurse who is compassionate about not just her patients but her colloeagues too.
you should be dead proud of yourself
Old Feb 13th 2006, 9:50 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

ah sorry, just read the last of the posts....durr!

gb, for what its worth, you are heading off to live your dream - dont give a toss what that crappy staff nurse says or does.....you can give her the finger when you leave!!!!

sue
Old Feb 13th 2006, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
ah sorry, just read the last of the posts....durr!

gb, for what its worth, you are heading off to live your dream - dont give a toss what that crappy staff nurse says or does.....you can give her the finger when you leave!!!!

sue
TY everyone! Feeling better today, altho its all quiet on the work front as I'm off for a few days. Will get the low down on Friday when I return! Everytime the phone goes I keep thinking, this is it!!!!! Ah well, just 6 more shifts to go until i leave. The student will qualify now as I've signed her off and made sure we have all the evidence to support her practise etc etc She also leaves in 2 weeks! I think the ward manager will give a huge sigh of relief!