Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Bugger! Got involved when I shouldn't have!

Bugger! Got involved when I shouldn't have!

Old Feb 11th 2006, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bugger! Got involved when I shouldn't have!

Arrrgghhhh don't you just hate work sometimes? Have been enjoying my last few weeks at work when a student nurse came to me in tears saying feel felt bullied and harrassed by her mentor. Now I know her mentor well so I can completely understand where shes coming from. Anyway, as she made the complaint I had to act on it. I had a word with her mentor who told me I didn't know the full story, so I said I'd listen and OMG what a cow! She really doesn't think shes done anything wrong! I'm a very non judgemental person when it comes to work, I have listened to both parties and I've completed a report. In doing so I have had to rattle a few cages. But the mentor had convinced out unit manager that this student nurse (who's successfully completed almost 3 yrs) shouldn't qualify! In fact she failed her on her practice! I have to stand up for what I believe in. I've worked many shifts with this student and have always been very impressed with her work.

Just can't believe I've taken on such a huge responsibility in the last 2 weeks! How can I possibly leave tho thinking that a very good nurse has been ousted out by a crap nurse that I'm surprised qualified in the first place!!!!! Ah woe is me!!!!
Old Feb 11th 2006, 11:58 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bugger! Got involved when I shouldn't have!

Originally Posted by glittababe
How can I possibly leave tho thinking that a very good nurse has been ousted out by a crap nurse
You can't.

What's right is right.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
You can't.

What's right is right.
Rest of colleagues think I'm mad, apparently this student has complained several times before about the way shes been treated and everyone else is too scared to get involved, fearing the backlash effect it can have. She even complained to the university who told her to just keep her head down and get on with it as shes almost qualified! Ah well, whats done is done and I'll feel better eventually!
Old Feb 12th 2006, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

don544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond repute

Rest of colleagues think I'm mad, apparently this student has complained several times before about the way shes been treated and everyone else is too scared to get involved, fearing the backlash effect it can have. She even complained to the university who told her to just keep her head down and get on with it as shes almost qualified! Ah well, whats done is done and I'll feel better eventually!
glittababe, you did the right thing. to many people in nursing just look the other way, and allow bad practice and bullying to continue.
dom

Last edited by don544; Feb 12th 2006 at 12:29 am. Reason: correct spelling!
Old Feb 12th 2006, 12:48 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Arrrgghhhh don't you just hate work sometimes...
Good for you. You made a stand, it was the right thing to do.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

You've done exactly the right thing.
I'm in nursing and have had to act on complaints/fear between staff/from students and not made myself popular, but as you say, someone who's nearly qualified with good records so far shouldn't have her career ruined because of the attitude of another person who has taken a dislike.
I would do what you're doing again and again. It's right.
Hope it turns out ok.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond repute

Can only agree with what others have said. What you did was the right thing to do. Good on you.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 2:06 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

I think you did the right thing too, Hope everything works out ok

Suni
Old Feb 12th 2006, 2:48 am

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

I agree with all the comments, but things may be a bid hard to prove.

Did the student keep a bullying diary, i did once after seeking advice from the rcn, and it worked a treat
Old Feb 12th 2006, 3:52 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Glittababe, I would have done exactly the same. Good on yer for standing up for whats right especially when most people would have thought ...not interested going to Oz soon!
Old Feb 12th 2006, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
Glittababe, I would have done exactly the same. Good on yer for standing up for whats right especially when most people would have thought ...not interested going to Oz soon!
just a quick update! I changed the students shifts yesterday so she could work with me (which also pissed a few peeps off). I felt I needed to take over the students mentorship and give her some breathing space. Worked with her again all day and again no problems. She was feeling a million times better and more confident. I completed her practice document and passed her on everything. I also started an Action Plan. I know I'm going to get a lot of backlash from this, but I'm actually past caring. I spoke to the nurse concerned today and she was really smug, she told me she didn't give a shit, shes done everything by the book and the student has never expressed any concern beforehand. She was aggressive, rude and when I took over the care from her patients they all said she'd been really horrible too them and wanted her name.......which i gave!

In the report I've recommended (along with 4 other nurses) that this student qualify. We'll submit it tomorrow to the university and deal with everything else as it happens. Thanks for all your support. isn't it typical that something like this always happens just as you leave!!!!!
Old Feb 12th 2006, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Margaret2
I agree with all the comments, but things may be a bid hard to prove.

Did the student keep a bullying diary, i did once after seeking advice from the rcn, and it worked a treat
unfortunately she didn't, but incidences have been reported before that other nurses had witnessed. The student had also reported the nurse previously to the university and they were 'monitoring the situation'.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 9:43 am

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

unfortunately she didn't, but incidences have been reported before that other nurses had witnessed. The student had also reported the nurse previously to the university and they were 'monitoring the situation'.

Just curious about the action plan bit you mentioned what does this entail.

The diary i kept was classic when it all came to a head and my rcn rep presented the diary to the other nurse and the unit manager (managers x 2 at this point 100% behind bully) and thought i had been over reacting., the looks on their faces was, sorry, but a beautiful victory.

all this went on for a long, long, time, i kept the diary for abut six months, I kept working there and can say that the manager and i became friends (she was new to the job and did not really know what she had walked into).

It would probably help if the witnesses could give some kind of written statement.

Don't mean to put a downer on things, and perhaps where you work things will happen quicker and more efficiently, but i would certainly think twice about something like this before acting on it again, months of hell followed the meeting and it was like a big can of worms had been opened, don't know if i would be strong enough to go through it again. However the difference is the student seems to have your 100% support and believe me she'll need it.

Last edited by Margaret2; Feb 12th 2006 at 9:47 am.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Margaret2
Just curious about the action plan bit you mentioned what does this entail.

The diary i kept was classic when it all came to a head and my rcn rep presented the diary to the other nurse and the unit manager (managers x 2 at this point 100% behind bully) and thought i had been over reacting., the looks on their faces was, sorry, but a beautiful victory.

all this went on for a long, long, time, i kept the diary for abut six months, I kept working there and can say that the manager and i became friends (she was new to the job and did not really know what she had walked into).

It would probably help if the witnesses could give some kind of written statement.

Don't mean to put a downer on things, and perhaps where you work things will happen quicker and more efficiently, but i would certainly think twice about something like this before acting on it again, months of hell followed the meeting and it was like a big can of worms had been opened, don't know if i would be strong enough to go through it again. However the difference is the student seems to have your 100% support and believe me she'll need it.
luckily the nurses who witnessed the incidences had approached our unit manager and made statements as they were so concerned. Our manager didn't act on it tho! Like you say, it all opens a can of worms! I've told them to forward anything onto Australia! I'll open it if I can be bothered!

The Action plan is something I do with all of my students, if we have any concerns about progress etc Its very basic and just details the problem, solution, how solution can be achieved and measured plus any other comments by student and mentor. In this instance we have to prove to the university that the student shows an understanding of the NMC code of conduct plus the Trusts protocols and procedures, and that the student always acts within her own limitations and boundaries set by mentors etc X

Last edited by glittababe; Feb 12th 2006 at 10:11 am.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 11:22 am
Cleveland, Bayside

Rich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond repute

luckily the nurses who witnessed the incidences had approached our unit manager and made statements as they were so concerned. Our manager didn't act on it tho! Like you say, it all opens a can of worms! I've told them to forward anything onto Australia! I'll open it if I can be bothered!

The Action plan is something I do with all of my students, if we have any concerns about progress etc Its very basic and just details the problem, solution, how solution can be achieved and measured plus any other comments by student and mentor. In this instance we have to prove to the university that the student shows an understanding of the NMC code of conduct plus the Trusts protocols and procedures, and that the student always acts within her own limitations and boundaries set by mentors etc X
What you are doing is brilliant... if only more people were like you. Rich has worked with some crap nurses in his time and to be honest still does. The things he comes home and says makes me really worried to go into hospital.

If there are any bad nurses out there, they should be dealt with... cos after all they are treating sick people hopefully to make them well again.

Good on you and good luck to the student.
K sent

Ang x

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.