Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

BT Broadband!! Anyone have any advice?

BT Broadband!! Anyone have any advice?

Old Aug 27th 2007, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light
Question BT Broadband!! Anyone have any advice?

We have been with Bt Broadband (option 3) for nearly 4 years. Always paid by DD ontime, never had a complaint etc....until now. We move to Oz next month. Contacted them to give 1 months notice to cancel the service. Then got a call to say they automatically renew your contract yearly and we are tied til the end of the year! i was unaware of this, the house is upsidedown and I cant find our contract. I just assumed it was like a mobile phone contract where you're tied for first year then can get ou whenever with notice. Anyone else had any experience of this and found a way out?

Thanks

Tasha x
Old Aug 27th 2007, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

tazkenny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BT Broadband!! Anyone have any advice?

I would just cancel the direct debit, and send them a letter saying thanks but bye. Sounds like a cheap trick by BT. If you are worried about leaving the phone line live in your house then just remove the phone socket, disconnect the wires and then replace. Thus nobody can run up a bill in your name, and by the time new residents are in place and get the engineer out then your contract should of ceased.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 9:38 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

That is exactly what I intend to do with my contract when I leave.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

smudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by 4Reids
We have been with Bt Broadband (option 3) for nearly 4 years. Always paid by DD ontime, never had a complaint etc....until now. We move to Oz next month. Contacted them to give 1 months notice to cancel the service. Then got a call to say they automatically renew your contract yearly and we are tied til the end of the year! i was unaware of this, the house is upsidedown and I cant find our contract. I just assumed it was like a mobile phone contract where you're tied for first year then can get ou whenever with notice. Anyone else had any experience of this and found a way out?

Thanks

Tasha x
I had the same problem when i cancelled to go to Sky. They are trying it on. I told them i signed up to a 1 year contract only and want to give a months notice, they kept on trying to say i was under contract. I insisted i wasn't and after a number of calls they gave up in the end.

They will try bullying you simply because there is people out there who will accept it and carry on.

Loads of people have had problems trying to leave BT (do a search in Google) you just have to be persistent.

Good luck
Old Aug 27th 2007, 10:02 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Just wait 'til you tangle with Telstra's mangling of the truth!
Old Aug 27th 2007, 10:05 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Couple of months here and they'll be praising BT to the skies
Old Aug 28th 2007, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Watty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to all

Thanks

Tasha x
Give your months notice in writing - keep a copy and send recorded delivery, cancel the direct debit!!!!. I beleave that as your initial contract was for 12 months you are in the clear. And if not you will be in OZ F*** it................
Old Aug 30th 2007, 10:11 am
Just Joined

Kennyrg is an unknown quantity at this point

I am relocating to Shanghai next week so also needed to get out of my BT line and broadband contract - only half way through 18 month contract at this stage. I simply called them up yesterday, told them I am moving abroad and they cancelled it straight away.. no problems. They even said they might owe me money!!! ... Trying to sort out similar issues with Orange at the moment, not going quite as smoothly!
Old Aug 30th 2007, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

crankysid is just really nicecrankysid is just really nicecrankysid is just really nicecrankysid is just really nicecrankysid is just really nicecrankysid is just really nicecrankysid is just really nicecrankysid is just really nicecrankysid is just really nicecrankysid is just really nice

Good old BT, I cancelled my broadband back in May and even received a letter from them to confirm the services will be stopped in June.

Today I received a bill for the next 3 months (August to October) :curse: :curse:

Just got off the phone to them and they say its my final bill (told them where to shove it) They finally found my request to cancel and they will now cancel out the bill.

They can't even cancel a contract correctly.

Good luck to you, you'll need it.

Cheers, Cranky.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all
Exclamation Re: BT Broadband!! Anyone have any advice?

Originally Posted by tazkenny
If you are worried about leaving the phone line live in your house then just remove the phone socket, disconnect the wires and then replace. Thus nobody can run up a bill in your name, and by the time new residents are in place and get the engineer out then your contract should of ceased.
Don't meddle with the socket unless you don't like who ever is moving in after you. If the new owners/tenants need an engineer visit to start line it will cost them £125 for the privilege as of 15 August.

Bruce
Old Aug 31st 2007, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

wullieb1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bruce67
Don't meddle with the socket unless you don't like who ever is moving in after you. If the new owners/tenants need an engineer visit to start line it will cost them £125 for the privilege as of 15 August.

Bruce
I just phoned them earlier and asked them to cancel my account. Was asked if i would stay with BT if they could offer me a deal, isaid no as i was immigrating and the guy said no problem.

Mine is now set to stop on 28th Sept.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 8:45 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

I've had the misfortune of working for an isp for a short time and yes, they are trying it on. Send in a written cancellation and cancel your DD.

(If anyone ever gets any bother with their British ISP just say that you are going to Ofcom... It can do wonders.)
Old Aug 31st 2007, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for all your advice. Its sorted now. Managed to speak to a very nice man today who couldnt see how we were in a contract so its cancelled as of 10th Sept
Old Aug 31st 2007, 11:40 pm
Mrs Angry!

debbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud of

Thanks

Tasha x
Hi there

There is no love lost between me and BT (won't bore you with the details - complaints which whent on for 8months!).....I would just cancel it on the phone...after you have been on hold for an hour...email them as a back up and send a letter. Keep all copies and if they get it wrong, its their fault, not yours.

Best of luck!

Debsx
Old Sep 1st 2007, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

canifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Too true, on sign up "you will be connected in 4-5 days". 5 days later you will be connected within 4-5 days. 4 days later " modem was sent from Sydney to Perth but there has been a delivery fault so it has been sent back to Sydney, we will send another in "4-5 days".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.