Wikiposts

Browsing habits

Old Mar 19th 2006, 2:08 pm

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Browsing habits

So how do you do yours?

When you're reading BE how do you sort the pish from the trees? <not a good analogy>
Do you just stick to a particular forum (forums/fora?)
Do you only read threads that are at the top of the page or do your trawl back to see what you missed?
Do you use the 'New Posts' or 'Today's Posts' buttons?
Do you look for anything in particular in a thread title?
Do you ignore threads by certain users?

If there are no replies, that'll answer the last question for me.
Old Mar 19th 2006, 2:45 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Browsing habits

Originally Posted by gedge
Absolutely positively! I have 2 people on my ignore list now & I wonder why I didnt do it months ago . So nice not having to read some of the crap, there are other posters who's threads I just wont open either as I know what's going to be in them. My only regret is that if you had a user on ignore & they started a thread, I wish the thread just didnt show up on the list at all, what a bonus that would be .
Old Mar 19th 2006, 3:10 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

So how do you do yours?

When you're reading BE how do you sort the pish from the trees? <not a good analogy>
Do you just stick to a particular forum (forums/fora?)
Do you only read threads that are at the top of the page or do your trawl back to see what you missed?
Do you use the 'New Posts' or 'Today's Posts' buttons?
Do you look for anything in particular in a thread title?

If there are no replies, that'll answer the last question for me.
1. Sort of
2. Trawl back - quickly
3. no
4. no
5. yes - two in particular at the moment are on ignore. One's been there forever and the other has recently joined the first. If everyone could refrain from quoting them in their own post I would be grateful.
Old Mar 19th 2006, 4:03 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

From a discussion earlier on, some people don't use the "New Posts" button because it includes threads in forums that you're not interested in.
There are ways round this that I've used for a while and will now share with you. If anyone has got any others I'd be pleased to hear them.

If you only want new threads from a particular forum, you need a search like this:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...new&forumid=54
Click on it, or copy this
http://britishexpats.com/forum/search.php?do=getnew&forumid=54
to your address bar. It shows new posts in the Australia and sub forums.

If you want to specify multiple forums use this format:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...rumids=7,66,67
http://britishexpats.com/forum/search.php?do=getnew&forumids=7,66,67
this will show you new posts in the lounge and lockre room and tio forums.

To get a forum id number, run your mouse over the forum hyperlink, and see what is shown in the grey bar at the bottom of your screen. Here are a few for you:
7=Lounge
32=Australia & New Zealand Immigration
54=Australia (incl sub forums)
61=Moving back to the UK
66=The Locker Room
67=TIO
92=The Barbie

You can save these as favourites for future ref. Make sure you don't save the results of the search, the link must be in the format shown above.
PM me if you need help.

Hope this helps a few folks.

Last edited by gedge; Mar 19th 2006 at 4:08 pm. Reason: couldn't make the links clickable and copyable so had to type them 2 diff ways
Old Mar 19th 2006, 5:08 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone ever suggested you get yourself a life Actually, thanks for that.
Old Mar 19th 2006, 5:22 pm
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

some people don't use the "New Posts" button because it includes threads in forums that you're not interested in.
Actually - it would include plenty of threads Im not interested in from this forum too, oh, I get them anyway .
Old Mar 19th 2006, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Absolutely positively! I have 2 people on my ignore list now
Originally Posted by Moneypen
two in particular at the moment are on ignore
Well isn't that funny! I have 2 people on ignore as well - and seriously considered adding another in recent days.

I wonder if we're all ignoring the SAME two people
Old Mar 19th 2006, 6:31 pm
Rocket Scientist

Originally Posted by nickyc
Well isn't that funny! I have 2 people on ignore as well - and seriously considered adding another in recent days.

I wonder if we're all ignoring the SAME two people
LOL, actually I doubt if my 2nd one is the same as your (& Penny's) number 2 & 3 . Number 1 would definitely be the same & I'm tempted by your 2 & 3 as well (cos I'm pretty sure I know who they are!), but my number 2 isnt one of them . (how's that for gobbledegook :scared: )
Old Mar 19th 2006, 7:39 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Absolutely positively! I have 2 people on my ignore list now & I wonder why I didnt do it months ago . So nice not having to read some of the crap, there are other posters who's threads I just wont open either as I know what's going to be in them. My only regret is that if you had a user on ignore & they started a thread, I wish the thread just didnt show up on the list at all, what a bonus that would be .

Is it me

I generally just look at the posts at the top and read them
Old Mar 19th 2006, 7:43 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret2

I generally just look at the posts at the top and read them

SNAP !!!!
Old Mar 19th 2006, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I just read EVERYTHING
Old Mar 19th 2006, 8:39 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

ive got myself on ignore, works a treat
that means u lot have to read my pish
Old Mar 19th 2006, 8:49 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
I just read EVERYTHING
Thats just cos you have nothing better to do
Old Mar 19th 2006, 8:57 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have anyone on ignore - I'm too nosey - need to track what they're saying!! Aye, sad git that I am. As for the threads, I just read the ones with vaguely interesting headings and/or the ones that are getting lots of replies.
Old Mar 19th 2006, 9:00 pm
Rocket Scientist

Originally Posted by Margaret2
Is it me
Did someone say something?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.