Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Brits no longer dreaming of a life in Australia

Wikiposts

Brits no longer dreaming of a life in Australia

Old Nov 26th 2011, 7:58 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brits no longer dreaming of a life in Australia

Originally Posted by chris955
I must admit from what I have seen Asian migrants are much less likely to fully integrate and embrace the Australian way of life, they tend to mix with their own and by and large employ their own. It seems to be the case with many ethnic groups, up here we have Somali areas, Asian areas, Islander areas etc.
True with most of the ethnic groups but I've not really noticed this with South-East Asians. Except for for the China Towns which are really just cultural clusterings of restaurants, etc I've found that worldwide they mix in more readily with the locals. Likewise most locals seem to happily accept them. It would be interesting to work out what comes first: the mixing or the accepting or if they both come very much hand in hand and "the chemistry" just naturally exists in the correct proportions for and with South-East Asians. Personally I believe you can't have integration without acceptance and multiculturalism and ghettoisation are symptoms of insufficient acceptance and integration. What I'm saying is more needs to be invested into encouraging locals to genuinely welcome and integrate new arrivals as well as giving greater immigration selection preferences to those groups who have statistically shown greater integration success.

Old Nov 26th 2011, 8:05 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Go on to any fishing website and read some of the comments put on there by the 'locals' about Asian 'imports' as they are called.

Go to the sandpumping jetty at the Gold Coast when the Tailor are running and see how well the locals and the thousands of asians, who descend on the place, are integrating

Don't kid yourselves that it is all peace and harmony.....it isn't
Old Nov 26th 2011, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheene
Yes they are certainly hardworking, and they do indeed have higher scores in Maths and some aspects of Engineering. What they tend to be pretty bad at is design, lateral thinking, free thinking and problem solving. Probably why most of great design engineering comes from the West.
Agree with the first part. Disagree with the 2nd. Mrs TB thinks very laterally about problem solving and usually ends up engineering any given situation to be my fault
Old Nov 26th 2011, 10:04 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Agree with the first part. Disagree with the 2nd. Mrs TB thinks very laterally about problem solving and usually ends up engineering any given situation to be my fault

That isn't lateral thinking - she already knew what the outcome would be, as did you, the only unknown in that situation was how long it would take for you to capitulate!
Old Nov 26th 2011, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

That isn't lateral thinking - she already knew what the outcome would be, as did you, the only unknown in that situation was how long it would take for you to capitulate!
It's a sliding scale depending on what's for dinner
Old Nov 26th 2011, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
It's a sliding scale depending on what's for dinner

When you factor in other fringe benefits, of the after dinner variety, I would imagine the units of the sliding scale turn from hours to milliseconds?
Old Nov 26th 2011, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Go on to any fishing website and read some of the comments put on there by the 'locals' about Asian 'imports' as they are called.

Go to the sandpumping jetty at the Gold Coast when the Tailor are running and see how well the locals and the thousands of asians, who descend on the place, are integrating

Don't kid yourselves that it is all peace and harmony.....it isn't
It depends.

Each to his own - and that's exactly whats happens - it's the same at Cardinia Dam park - imports taking over the facilities en masse. If Asians looked like Anglos noone would ever notice.

Having said that, I was a place last night where Asians and Anglos mixed.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
It depends.

Each to his own - and that's exactly whats happens - it's the same at Cardinia Dam park - imports taking over the facilities en masse. If Asians looked like Anglos noone would ever notice.

Having said that, I was a place last night where Asians and Anglos mixed.
Did it have a Red light outside?
Old Nov 26th 2011, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I think people are overlooking the main point of the latter part of this debate. By the time my Son gets to retirement age, SE Asians and their offspring will be the slight majority in this Country. I'd say by 2060 slightly over 50 pct of the population will have family that originated from SE Asia. Even my 6th Gen Aus Wife has Chinese heritage in her gene pool from the Victorian Gold Fields with a full blown Chinese Great Great Grandfather. Some of our nieces and nephews display the epicanthal folds.

Whatever people think about it... It doesnt make any difference to Australias wealth and prosperity whether Brits come here or not. Do Brits actually want to migrate to a country that in future will be totally Eurasian ? I'll state once more that I'm comfortable with that future.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 11:27 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Never seen sight nor sound of them. Daughter went to school with one of the Aussie born Islamic terrorists though.... Plus I've seen some fairly threatening Lebanese and Somalian gangs around. Got to say that living in one of the most if not the most culturally diverse municipalities in Melbourne, then I definitely agree with your last sentence. Our local Muslim population are a great example of that, with the vast majority being great people.

Your daughter has been very lucky ozzie (i dont mean to be at school with an islamic terrorist lol), my poor daughter had an awful time at primary school, was very excluded with no friends! (yes i did discuss it with the school, but didnt help), time and time again we thought about changing school, with hindsight we should've as not only her confidence suffered but also her grades. I think i have mentioned before she was one of two white people in the class.

However high school is a totally different ball game , I would say about 50% asian to 50% ozzies, Europeans, etc. The change in her is fantastic, she is so much happier and back on track academically. She seems to be settling into a strong friendship group, which does have girls from all cultural backgrounds, but as i said the percentage is much more balanced.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 11:31 am
Account Closed

[QUOTE=ozzieeagle;9755536]I think people are overlooking the main point of the latter part of this debate. By the time my Son gets to retirement age, SE Asians and their offspring will be the slight majority in this Country. I'd say by 2060 slightly over 50 pct of the population will have family that originated from SE Asia. Even my 6th Gen Aus Wife has Chinese heritage in her gene pool from the Victorian Gold Fields with a full blown Chinese Great Great Grandfather. Some of our nieces and nephews display the epicanthal folds.

Agree, my oldest daughter has her sights on a gorgeous Sri lankan boy just now (poor bugger wont know whats hit him)
Old Nov 26th 2011, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Marg think back to when we first met... With that Indian Curry club and how hard it was to find any Curry house in Melbourne just 6 or 7 years ago.

I dont think I've ever seen a Country change as fast as this one has with a migration wave in such a short time. Maybe the UK (South London) with the West Indians in the late 50's and 60's I can barely remember that. Personally I think the change with the Asian Migrants here in such a short time is even greater... and more evenly spread around the Country..
Old Nov 26th 2011, 11:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Marg think back to when we first met... With that Indian Curry club and how hard it was to find any Curry house in Melbourne just 6 or 7 years ago.

I dont think I've ever seen a Country change as fast as this one has with migration in such a short time. Maybe the UK (South London) with the West Indians in the late 50's and 60's I can barely remember that. Personally I think the change with the Asian Migrants here in such a short time is even greater.
Going out for an indian curry next week after work (one of the Indian nurses I work with husbands owns it, so its our duty to test it out, ), its on Bell Street, your welcome if you and your lovely wife are free, will let you know details.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Margaret3
Going out for an indian curry next week after work (one of the Indian nurses I work with husbands owns it, so its our duty to test it out, ), its on Bell Street, your welcome if you and your lovely wife are free, will let you know details.
Check your PM box

Will be having one hell of a house warming when our Reno is finished.... circa late Feb / March.... Hmm probably around mine and my 2nd oldest daughters birthday on the same day the 15th of March.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Nov 26th 2011 at 11:48 am.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Did it have a Red light outside?
I see what you mean.

If I want a gallop, I play at home - I don't need to outsource fun just yet.

Here's one for the board - the Melbourne Alfred Emergency Department is chockas with Anglos - I was amazed.

I would have thought it would be far more multi-cultural.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.