Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Britain faces summer of rage

Wikiposts

Britain faces summer of rage

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:11 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Britain faces summer of rage

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
I would have thought that the difference between public debt and printing money is that:

The government borrows money from somewhere with (hopefully) the intention of paying back the money through taxation sometime in the future.

Printing money seems like trying to cancel debt by just printing more. In this case it seems to be trying to make the banks who are worried about lending think 'wow more money lets get lending'.
The govt issues treasury gilts that are bought typically by the Chinese government. If the government is too blatant with the printing money or "quantitative easing" as it is known then they risk the chance of no one wanting to buy the debt and the result would be catastrophic for the UK economy.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:15 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

It's almost as if the government are asking for it.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5793087.ece
The end is nigh....
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by renth
The govt issues treasury gilts that are bought typically by the Chinese government. If the government is too blatant with the printing money or "quantitative easing" as it is known then they risk the chance of no one wanting to buy the debt and the result would be catastrophic for the UK economy.
I asked one of the Chinese fellas I work with why does the Chinese government have so much money caught up in US Dollars (and I suppose UK pounds as well) - its almost like they are held hostage to the US. If the Chinese don't keep buying western government debt then the value of their savings in US dollars will fall and screw them.

Of course this situation can't keep going on forever and one would wonder whether the Chinese would at one stage either decide to take the hit of a falling dollar, or perhaps they may not be able to buy enough US dollars and everything crashes.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daviec33
Viva la Revolution!

Storm the barricades!

.................................................. ..........

Although 98pc of us will sit at home and watch it "Live" on sky news/bbc 24!

Apathy.....that's what will kill the UK (and most western countries) and thats got a lot to do with the state we find ourselves in!.

I'm not advocating violence btw.....in any way at all.

The sooner people get informed and involved the better, the only way to beat the system is from the inside!....

Sick of councilors lining their pockets......run for local government

Sick of MP expenses............write letters, get involved, join a political party

(Just watched the acid house....granton star cause....."you have the power boab!") :-p
That is an often expressed comment...get involved from the inside....sounds good but in practice being on the inside usually requires submitting to party lines...it is often better to be on the outside and that may well be a fringe group or whatever and agitate.
Oz examples to consider former singer from Midnight Oil Garret,he had a lot to say then muzzled as soon as becoming a politician where as Pauline Hanson was forced out of Liberal Party for her views and with others formed a new group.
Yes a lot of people are ignorant of politics as it became somewhat unfashionable in the eighties but times are perhaps changing we are living in very difficult times for a lot of people....it would appear that there are a lot of very angry people out there through out the UK if even a small percentage of them took to the streets the powers that be would take notice.
Yes letter writing has its place but sometimes more is required.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 2:22 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't see how rioting is going to fix the problem.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 3:37 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

I am curious whether the bank of England would think about removing the extra banknotes from circulation once the crisis is over.
There are no additional physical notes being printed! It's just an expression.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 3:39 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
For stress-relief (in hard-times) there is nothing better and given people can't afford to go paint-balling these days, it's also free....Do you see now?
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
There are no additional physical notes being printed! It's just an expression.
Fair enough, but going back to my original thought - if the BoE 'conjures' up 100 billion or whatever it is by any means - perhaps by just adding on a few zeros electronically to an account - would they go about removing this at a later date?
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 4:05 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
For stress-relief (in hard-times) there is nothing better and given people can't afford to go paint-balling these days, it's also free....Do you see now?
Ah!. And I guess the cost of rebuilding is a stimulus to the economy.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 4:07 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Ah!. And I guess the cost of rebuilding is a stimulus to the economy.
You are a fellow genius-thinker also?
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I was at the poll tax riots. That was a fun day out.
I was one of the organisers (of the rally not the riots) not that we didnt think anything was going to happen. NOT.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 4:13 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by framac67

I was one of the organisers (of the rally not the riots) not that we didnt think anything was going to happen. NOT.
Were you the one handing out the scaffolding poles?
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Give Eton a buzz, their schoolboys like a good riot!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:08 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by framac67

I recall Trafalgar Square having a slightly different atmosphere to new years eve a couple of months beforehand.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I do not know about it fixing the problem but one can argue it does not passed unnoticed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.