Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Brisbane and surrounds - holiday ideas

Brisbane and surrounds - holiday ideas

Old Feb 26th 2012, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane and surrounds - holiday ideas

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Thanks fish.01, I've gone into tourist mode all of a sudden
It's fun isn't it I enjoy it as it helps to remind me of past weekends and imagine new one's...better than thinking about work
Old Feb 26th 2012, 10:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
And of course it would be prudent and polite to allow me to express my opinion that Brisbane is a hole, to allow ValeSpark and family to appreciate they might be better off spending their time in the Brisbane area somewhere better than right IN Brisbane.

Obviously, they are entitled to form their own opinion.

Obviously you are entitled to your opinion and obviously, I am entitled to mine.

Perhaps it is fair to say that, in regards to Brisbane, you are enchanted by that which I find repugnant. If the ValeSpark family must spend time here, I hope they have a pleasant time.
The OP's question was this:-

Originally Posted by ValeSpark
Hi,

We have 1.5 weeks in the Brisbane area and are looking for some ideas on where to go / do etc. There are 3 of us, 2 Adults + a 13 year old.

We know we want to spend some time at the Theme parks, but other than that we would like to see some other areas.

We have not booked any accomodation yet, so are free to go where we please, the only restriction being our fllights in and out of Brisbane.

Thanks
It was asking about where to go etc.. not a debate about whether Brisbane is good or bad or if you don't like it etc....

Stick to the topic and don't troll this thread or I will delete your posts.

Last edited by Alfresco; Feb 26th 2012 at 10:55 am.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 12:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Day Out: Paddington, Caxton St and Roma St Parklands

Paddington is one of Brisbane's older character suburbs and if you are that sort of traveller is a good place to look at the distinctive Queenslander architecture and residential fauna and flora and absorb the sights and feel of laid back inner Brisbane living.

Start by catching route 375 from Adelaide St to Trammies Corner, Paddington.

Timetable: http://translink.com.au/resources/tr...74,375,376.pdf

Get off here:

Across the road from the Trammies corner stop is a 1930's cinema that has been converted into a large antique centre that stocks many different dealers collections. There are great views over the suburb to the city from the little park at Trammies corner, so called because the tram drivers used to meet here until a major fire burnt down the large tram depot just down the road where the shopping centre is now and which was the nail in the coffin of the tram system. Note if you stay at "The Collingwood" the number B&B on trip advisor I mentioned above you will be about 60 seconds walk down a side street from Trammies corner.

Make your way down hill towards the city stopping at the many little converted queenslander shops, galleries and cafes along the way:

Funkidori and The Spare Room at the Paddington Antique Centre Building,167 Latrobe Terrace, Paddington 4064, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia by David Jackmanson, on Flickr

Bench in Paddington by Jude&Jim, on Flickr

The side streets give you some great views over the suburb:

Brisbane by cityofsound, on Flickr

Last edited by fish.01; Feb 26th 2012 at 12:48 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 12:10 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
It's fun isn't it I enjoy it as it helps to remind me of past weekends and imagine new one's...better than thinking about work
Damn straight
Old Feb 26th 2012, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the great photos - makes me want to go on holiday there lol!

Certainly makes you realise why we live here
Old Feb 26th 2012, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Just peeking in from the USA forum and all I say say is 'wow'...looks gorgeous, you lucky people!
Old Feb 26th 2012, 12:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Day Out: Paddington, Caxton St and Roma St Parklands (continued)

As you get futher down you come to some giant figs that I love just before Suncorp Stadium:

fig tree by (((vixpen))), on Flickr

You then come past Suncorp Stadium Brisbane's main rectangle ground. Tours are available:

http://www.suncorpstadium.com.au/The...ium_Tours.aspx

After the stadium you hit the restaurant/nightclub strip at Caxton St where you can find the Frank Burke stand:

opposite this beauty:

Caxton Street by Leonard John Matthews, on Flickr

And this stuff at night:

The favourite pre-match hang out district:

At any stage you feel tired of walking you can catch the bus.

For a change of scene as you make your way past the Barracks shops/cafes/cinemas and down to Roma St in the city you will pass the lovely Roma Street parklands. They are well worth a visit if you are into tropical or other plants:

Last edited by fish.01; Feb 26th 2012 at 1:34 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 12:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Last edited by fish.01; Feb 26th 2012 at 1:04 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 12:28 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
Just peeking in from the USA forum and all I say say is 'wow'...looks gorgeous, you lucky people!
As ever there are negatives to be found wherever you live but, on balance, there are worse places to while away your time.

I am a naturally cynical person but after 7+ years here I really do appreciate the place.

Now, if the locals could drag themselves into the 20th Century and adopt Daylight Savings we'd all be much better off
Old Feb 26th 2012, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Now, if the locals could drag themselves into the 20th Century and adopt Daylight Savings we'd all be much better off
But then we wouldn't be able to get up at day break at 4am to appreciate these things...I can't imagine what I would do if I had to delay starting my day until 5am.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 9:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

To all,

Thank you for your suggestions and making the effort to post, its very much appreciated.

As seen on this and lots of other threads, everywhere has its fans and those who are not. Having lived in Melbourne for a couple of years, this trip is a bit of a tour, starting in Perth, then Melbourne, upto Brisbane / GC, and then finally Sydney before returning to the UK.

Peter
Old Feb 26th 2012, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you have a great tour around the country and enjoy life back in the UK.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 9:38 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
The OP's question was this:-

It was asking about where to go etc.. not a debate about whether Brisbane is good or bad or if you don't like it etc....

Stick to the topic and don't troll this thread or I will delete your posts.
My response was that the OP would, in my opinion, find more things to do on the Gold Coast than in Brisbane.

That is not trolling and I don't appreciate dictatorial threats.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by brissybee
My response was that the OP would, in my opinion, find more things to do on the Gold Coast than in Brisbane.

That is not trolling and I don't appreciate dictatorial threats.
Then I sincerely apologise.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 6:11 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

Good stuff Fish, as always ()

My sister is coming out to visit in a couple of months time and I'm going to send her a link to this thread so she can see some of the things we'll be doing and paces we'll visit while she's here