Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Brisbane affordable suburbs

Brisbane affordable suburbs

Old Sep 4th 2009, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

ozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really nice
Default Brisbane affordable suburbs

Hi

Brisbane is climbing up on our list of places of choice after hearing many say we shoild not dismiss it. Don't know why we have. I think its the weather..it sounds too good. I'd like about 8 weeks of bad weather so we won't take the sun for granted!
Anyhow,
how far out of BRisbane would one have to move to get a 3 bed house for around $300.000 ??? HB is a nurse and doesn't necessarily have to work in the CBD, but commuting sholdn't take longer than 30 - 40 minutes.
Any ideas?

Cheers

Mrs ozbaz
Old Sep 4th 2009, 2:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane affordable suburbs

Originally Posted by ozbaz
Hi

Brisbane is climbing up on our list of places of choice after hearing many say we shoild not dismiss it. Don't know why we have. I think its the weather..it sounds too good. I'd like about 8 weeks of bad weather so we won't take the sun for granted!
Anyhow,
how far out of BRisbane would one have to move to get a 3 bed house for around $300.000 ??? HB is a nurse and doesn't necessarily have to work in the CBD, but commuting sholdn't take longer than 30 - 40 minutes.
Any ideas?

Cheers

Mrs ozbaz
We do have 8 weeks of bad weather....its called too much sun

Generally you wouldn't see many houses at that price until 20km+ and in bad areas. You are under the first home buyers price.

My preference at this price would be a townhouse. Something like this maybe 15km out in an ok area: Townhouse
Old Sep 4th 2009, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

nephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the rough

I would definatley get a big deposite $300.000 is a drop in the ocean here now .There is no rush who knows what is around the corner.z
Old Sep 5th 2009, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

ozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really nice

Hi

I have found a couple of houses within our budget around between 22-30 km outside Brisbane. ( Kingston/ Riverview . Browns Plains )???OK, so I mean ' outer' Brisbane, but I thought 'distance' in Australia is a very relative term ?

God, we really have to narrow our choice of state down soon before we validate visa. The only place completely dismissed is Mount Isa , and even there property prices surprise me.
Anyway, keep the tips coming,

Cheers
Mrs Ozbaz
Old Sep 6th 2009, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

lee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant future

My advise would be to buy what you can afford in an area that you want to live in. A big house in certain suburbs could be a lot worse than a unit or townhouse somewhere else.

lee
Old Sep 6th 2009, 11:44 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ozbaz
Hi

I have found a couple of houses within our budget around between 22-30 km outside Brisbane. ( Kingston/ Riverview . Browns Plains )???OK, so I mean ' outer' Brisbane, but I thought 'distance' in Australia is a very relative term ?

God, we really have to narrow our choice of state down soon before we validate visa. The only place completely dismissed is Mount Isa , and even there property prices surprise me.
Anyway, keep the tips coming,

Cheers
Mrs Ozbaz
A copy of yesterdays courier mail "Property Prices" section would help.

It shows the median prices of every suburb in the Greater Brisbane area, and many other QLD locations.

Unfortunately though it doesn't give direct 'desirability' info on each suburb, although the price itself can actually aid in indicating this.

Inala at $287,000, for example, is just about the cheapest median priced suburb, but also .. how would one say it... not exactly the area that many people would choose to live ?

You mentioned Browns Plains, that is show as a median price of $323,500 and Kingston is $290,000

"distance in Australia": Most Australians actually try to live as local to work as possible, and from my experience, tend to avoid the outer suburbs if they can. Unlike the British who tend to commute longer distances. As I said, this is from my own experience, and will not apply to everyone.

But it does come as a surprise to many British, that the average Australian drives less than the average Brit.

Old Sep 7th 2009, 5:58 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

So why are the roads/trains so packed in the morning.

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

"distance in Australia": Most Australians actually try to live as local to work as possible, and from my experience, tend to avoid the outer suburbs if they can. Unlike the British who tend to commute longer distances. As I said, this is from my own experience, and will not apply to everyone.

But it does come as a surprise to many British, that the average Australian drives less than the average Brit.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 8:00 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by themerlin
So why are the roads/trains so packed in the morning.
Almost everywhere that commuting is involved, with people trying to get to the same place at the same time, we get congestion.

Rush hour in my area last for a good 20 minutes, but in some areas it lasts longer.

Old Sep 7th 2009, 8:09 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Rush hour in my area last for a good 20 minutes, but in some areas it lasts longer.
That is a bit disingenuous.

The numbers of people actually commuting into Bayside would be miniscule compared to the numbers commuting from Bayside into the city.

The rush hour into the city lasts a bit longer than 20 minutes.....as well you know

G
Old Sep 7th 2009, 8:39 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
The rush hour into the city lasts a bit longer than 20 minutes.....as well you know
G
As an example, if you had to travel from Balmoral, Bulimba etc along Wynnum Rd into the city, rush hour can last from 7am to 9am. The distance is short, but the time taken certainly isn't.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 8:40 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bcworld
As an example, if you had to travel from Balmoral, Bulimba etc along Wynnum Rd into the city, rush hour can last from 7am to 9am. The distance is short, but the time taken certainly isn't.
Yes rush hour will be 2 hours, easy.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 9:11 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Grayling
That is a bit disingenuous.

The numbers of people actually commuting into Bayside would be miniscule compared to the numbers commuting from Bayside into the city.

G
I am talking about the rush hour in MY area, NOT into the city, and not from the City to my area either.

Old Sep 7th 2009, 9:15 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bcworld
Victoria Point to the City by car, leaving at 7am, the trip is under 1 hour on average. But it gets busier leaving it till after about 7:30, when it can be about 1hr 15 mins.

Old Sep 7th 2009, 9:20 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Victoria Point to the City by car, leaving at 7am, the trip is under 1 hour on average. But it gets busier leaving it till after about 7:30, when it can be about 1hr 15 mins.
7am is generally safe, however a spot of rain or a vehicle breaking down anywhere within 200km of Brisbane can cause total paralysis!
Old Sep 7th 2009, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=ABCDiamond;7909781]A copy of yesterdays courier mail "Property Prices" section would help.

It shows the median prices of every suburb in the Greater Brisbane area, and many other QLD locations.

Unfortunately though it doesn't give direct 'desirability' info on each suburb, although the price itself can actually aid in indicating this.

Inala at $287,000, for example, is just about the cheapest median priced suburb, but also .. how would one say it... not exactly the area that many people would choose to live ?

You mentioned Browns Plains, that is show as a median price of $323,500 and Kingston is $290,000

Hi

HB would not necessarily work in the CBD, depending on where hospitals are. If work was on the outer fringes, we could live further out. Thats why I'm asking about affordable ' suburbs'. Is Ipswich a suburb or a town in its own right?

I just had a E mail from an Australian friend of mine who reckons that even as an Aussie she'll have say that Brisbane is known as the city without culture....hm, I think we will just have to make that journey from Adelaide to Brisbane and make up our own mind when we get to these places...

Mrs ozbaz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.