Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Bringing in savings to Australia when migrating

Bringing in savings to Australia when migrating

Old May 24th 2007, 10:46 am

sush-jpn has much to be proud ofsush-jpn has much to be proud ofsush-jpn has much to be proud ofsush-jpn has much to be proud ofsush-jpn has much to be proud ofsush-jpn has much to be proud ofsush-jpn has much to be proud ofsush-jpn has much to be proud ofsush-jpn has much to be proud ofsush-jpn has much to be proud ofsush-jpn has much to be proud of
Default Bringing in savings to Australia when migrating

Hi everyone:

Please enlighten me if you know about this.

Once you open a bank account and put all your life savings in it, is there a tax on the savings that was brought in to the country?
Is it better to bring in all your savings when you relocate or is it better to do transfers later on?

Please help!

sush
Old May 24th 2007, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing in savings to Australia when migrating

Originally Posted by sush-jpn
Hi everyone:

Please enlighten me if you know about this.

Once you open a bank account and put all your life savings in it, is there a tax on the savings that was brought in to the country?
Is it better to bring in all your savings when you relocate or is it better to do transfers later on?

Please help!

sush

No there's no tax on your money, only on any interest you earn between moving here and bringing it over. It's best to bring it straight away if you can
Old May 24th 2007, 11:23 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
No there's no tax on your money, only on any interest you earn between moving here and bringing it over. It's best to bring it straight away if you can
It also depends upon when you are considered to be resident in Oz for tax purposes... or so my accountant informs me... so maybe best to get some professional advice about that...
Old May 24th 2007, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rodders39
It also depends upon when you are considered to be resident in Oz for tax purposes... or so my accountant informs me... so maybe best to get some professional advice about that...

Yes it does. But I don't know the specifics.
Old May 24th 2007, 11:32 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Yes it does. But I don't know the specifics.
Me neither... But I have an income in the UK that is free of tax there but not here so this point is fairly crucial for me...! I'm also very happy to be told I won't be paying any tax in Oz until May 2009...
Old May 24th 2007, 12:29 pm

sush-jpn has much to be proud ofsush-jpn has much to be proud ofsush-jpn has much to be proud ofsush-jpn has much to be proud ofsush-jpn has much to be proud ofsush-jpn has much to be proud ofsush-jpn has much to be proud ofsush-jpn has much to be proud ofsush-jpn has much to be proud ofsush-jpn has much to be proud ofsush-jpn has much to be proud of

Thanks for the info. I'm going to be staying in Oz for good this time. So I'll have to get my TFN when I settle down.....

sush
Old May 24th 2007, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the info. I'm going to be staying in Oz for good this time. So I'll have to get my TFN when I settle down.....

sush
Expanding on this a little further - if we initially have no income from earnings, does anyone know what tax rate will apply to interest on savings? Is it just classed as income and taxed as normal?
Old May 24th 2007, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

martin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nice

i was told by westpac that tax on interest is 10% for non residents and then 33% once you become a resident.
Old May 24th 2007, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by martin36-1
i was told by westpac that tax on interest is 10% for non residents and then 33% once you become a resident.

Does the 30% apply even if you are unemployed? I'm going to be having a baby November and am planning on not working for 2 years. Are there any tax conssissions in such cases?

sush
Old May 25th 2007, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Does the 30% apply even if you are unemployed? I'm going to be having a baby November and am planning on not working for 2 years. Are there any tax conssissions in such cases?

sush
Interest is treated the same as other income so you're taxed on it at your usual marginal rate. It is not a flat 33%, the rate is totally dependent on what else you earned during the year. If you have no other income, then you could pay very little, or no tax on the interest - it depends on how much the interest is.
Old May 25th 2007, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Where do people get their information from?

Ask Westpac to clarify - and when it's wrong tell them they're talking bull.
Old May 25th 2007, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

BullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud of

Incorrect.

The tax rates for residents are on a scale based upon your total income.
Old May 25th 2007, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BullcreekBob
Incorrect.

The tax rates for residents are on a scale based upon your total income.
So presumably for someone who had no income other than eg their UK ISA, which paid out about £1000 a year in interest, they may not pay any tax on this at all? (Or be able to claim tax back afterwards?)