Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Boundary Fences....taking them down without a mutual agreement...

Boundary Fences....taking them down without a mutual agreement...

Old Jan 7th 2011, 10:30 am
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boundary Fences....taking them down without a mutual agreement...

Originally Posted by shiels
So he took half the fence down over a week ago, the builder didn't turn up when the neighbour said he was coming...no other activity... he hasn't even taken the old fence to the tip, its still in his trailer on his drive!!!

Then today.... we get a letter in our mailbox, telling us we caused a 'private nuisance' because some of our soil and stones and water are on his driveway, due to a storm, two nights ago...which apparently was caused by our joint retaining wall, which is apparently now 'our' retaining wall which he is requesting we fix at our cost!!

The only reason soil and stones have gone on his drive is because he has taken down that part of the friggin fencing....without our permission....unbelievable!!!
OMG!!!
Is the letter from the council or is it just a letter from him? God he's a nasty piece of work. Mr Shiels must be a very patient man because i think my husband would have strangled him (and more) by now!!!
Hope this all works out for you x x x
J x
Old Jan 7th 2011, 10:33 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jaycee1
OMG!!!
Is the letter from the council or is it just a letter from him? God he's a nasty piece of work. Mr Shiels must be a very patient man because i think my husband would have strangled him (and more) by now!!!
Hope this all works out for you x x x
J x
Its just a letter from him!

And believe me Mr S and Master S are keen to help him see sense but really I reckon thats just what he wants...so he aint gonna get it!! Karma...
Old Jan 7th 2011, 10:38 am
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Its just a letter from him!

And believe me Mr S and Master S are keen to help him see sense but really I reckon thats just what he wants...so he aint gonna get it!! Karma...
Are you going to move the rubble or leave it?
He will probably send a tresspassing letter if you go on his land...
Its not like everyone has enough to deal with in everyday life - think he needs to get a life!!
Old Jan 7th 2011, 10:40 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jaycee1
Are you going to move the rubble or leave it?
He will probably send a tresspassing letter if you go on his land...
Its not like everyone has enough to deal with in everyday life - think he needs to get a life!!
Were not going to do anything until we can talk to the council again on Monday!

He took the fence down not us!! Argh!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 10th 2011, 6:34 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

He took the fence down not us!! Argh!!!!!!!!!
Unfortunately you didn't stop him, which may now mean that the removal of the fence was done with your agreement, and you are both responsible for it.

If you had got the police round when he was actually removing it you would have had evidence of your objection to his actions and a police record of his activity. And the police would probably have stopped him doing it. Now you have to try and convince someone that you didn't want him to take down the fence.

Technically, in Queensland anyway, he needs written permission from you to remove the fence, or a court ruling if he can't get it. Problem now is, if you want your fence back, you'll probably have to go to court.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 10:02 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

Originally Posted by Burbage
Unfortunately you didn't stop him, which may now mean that the removal of the fence was done with your agreement, and you are both responsible for it.

If you had got the police round when he was actually removing it you would have had evidence of your objection to his actions and a police record of his activity. And the police would probably have stopped him doing it. Now you have to try and convince someone that you didn't want him to take down the fence.

Technically, in Queensland anyway, he needs written permission from you to remove the fence, or a court ruling if he can't get it. Problem now is, if you want your fence back, you'll probably have to go to court.
We actually went to the police while he was taking the fence down and they told us it was nothing to do with them unless one of us now fall down onto his land and hurt ourselves!!!

We actually dont mind him putting up the wall he wants we just want him to get permission from council first so theres no comeback on us, if theres a problem after!!!
Old Jan 10th 2011, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

We've had a bit of a fall out with our neighbours. We applied for permission to extend our garage to 3 meters from the retaining wall (our plot is 900mm higher than his). We told the neighbours in advance what we were up to.

Whilst the plans were in seeking approval he came around to voice concerns about potential damage to the wall due to the building works, as is his right to be concerned. I told him 3 meters is quite far from the wall and I didn't expect any problems.

He then said he was unhappy about it and would like me to get a structural survey (about $700-800 cost to me) to give him piece of mind. He said if any cracking did occur then we would not be able to see it as he'd just had a new fence built on his side of the retaining wall so obscuring it from view. This was a fence that he never even consulted us over, mind you it is a lovely fence.

I rang the shire up the next day to see if he had any grounds for concern. They told me I was free to build upto 900mm from the wall if I wished and that the neighbour had already been up to see them and they told him it was none of his business.

I can see how boundaries cause so many problems. The thing I got a bit upset over was he wanted me to fork out for his piece of mind. Still, we never used to speak to much before but now it's a lot quieter.

I don't think I'll be inviting them around for the barbie to celebrate finishing the extension.

Keel
Old Jan 10th 2011, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

We are having a dispute with the neighbour regarding replacing a 500M boundry fence that was destroyed in a bush fire last year. We were both paid out by the insurance companies for 50% of the fence. I removed the burnt fencing, cleared the land and paid for the new materials and put up the new fence. This took me and my wife approx 7 days of hard work to complete without any input from the neighbour.I then sent the neighbour the bill for his half of the fence. He is refusing to pay dispite the cost being far less than what he was paid by the insurance company. This guy is fighting with neighbours on all sides regarding the fencing.

This guy only built his house here two years ago and is yet to move out of town and into his new place. What he hasnt realised is that there is no way you can get by on your own in the bush, you need the help of your neighbours when living out of town. I have no intention of going through the courts for the repayment but until the debt is paid, he will not be getting any help from me.

Barney
Old Mar 14th 2011, 10:29 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

So he took half the fence down over a week ago, the builder didn't turn up when the neighbour said he was coming...no other activity... he hasn't even taken the old fence to the tip, its still in his trailer on his drive!!!

Then today.... we get a letter in our mailbox, telling us we caused a 'private nuisance' because some of our soil and stones and water are on his driveway, due to a storm, two nights ago...which apparently was caused by our joint retaining wall, which is apparently now 'our' retaining wall which he is requesting we fix at our cost!!

The only reason soil and stones have gone on his drive is because he has taken down that part of the friggin fencing....without our permission....unbelievable!!!
Still no further forward...

Even after two letters from a solicitor at Citizens Advice, both in our favour...

He is still trying to say the fence fell down, we watched him and his family take it down and took photos too....

He's now sent us another personnel letter, contradicting and lying about everything we said...

All this and weve never said he cant build the wall he wants, just get the approval, even though in this new letter it now seems to be 200mm shorter than the last conversation hubby had with him, maybe thats cause at 200mm shorter it wouldnt need any approval...funny that

Neighbours, everybody loves good neighbours....