Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Bolton School Manchester

Bolton School Manchester

Old Dec 23rd 2009, 4:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bolton School Manchester

Whats it like and what kind of people go there please ?

Please tell me it's not full of Hooray Henry's ! Errr do they do them up North ????

Class of 2000/1 would be brilliant ta

Anyone know ? or know of it ?

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 23rd 2009 at 4:30 am.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 4:32 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bolton School Manchester

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Whats it like and what kind of people go there please ?Please tell me it's not full of Hooray Henry's ! Errr do they do them up North ????

Class of 2000/1 would be brilliant ta

Anyone know ? or know of it ?
Rich type of people.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 4:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Rich type of people.
Why is it I view a Rich person from the UK with suspicion re class awareness and someone from Aus wouldnt bother me at all ?

Has 30 years away changed UK society. Am I living with Ideas from 30 years ago.

Is this school likely to produce people that look down on lesser mortals ?

UK daughter has now moved to Primrose Hill.

I feel like going over to check things out.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 4:42 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Why is it I view a Rich person from the UK with suspicion re class awareness and someone from Aus wouldnt bother me at all ?

Has 30 years away changed UK society. Am I living with Ideas from 30 years ago.

UK daughter has now moved to Primrose Hill.

I feel like going over to check things out.
Your looking at paying 15,000 grand a year in fees and 'incidentals'. Not something too many families can handle.
Not sure about how they would look upon lesser mortals... probably not that favourable and your ideas from 30 years ago are still, in the main, valid.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 4:50 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

That kind of attitude is also prevalent here.

Just look at some of the discussions about suburbs.

I find the Australian just as class aware as the British......and I went to such a school
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 4:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Your looking at paying 15,000 grand a year in fees and 'incidentals'. Not something too many families can handle.
Not sure about how they would look upon lesser mortals... probably not that favourable and your ideas from 30 years ago are still, in the main, valid.

Hmmm maybe the Wife should go and check things out instead. Her Aussie upbringing should cut through any bullsheet and preconceived ideas.

Is it right to analyse your offsprings choices like this.

Had a tumultuous few months with my Daughter over there.... now the smoke is clearing.

Hopefully it's just my problem.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 5:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Grayling
That kind of attitude is also prevalent here.

Just look at some of the discussions about suburbs.

I find the Australian just as class aware as the British......and I went to such a school
I dont Grayling and thats whats important to me at this time.

I doubt if you've worked amongst these people to the extent that I have in my time in Londons broking houses.... 9 years to be exact... although a long while ago. Hence my slight agitation..... The best you'll ever get is a superfluous couple of drinks in a pub after work.... whereas here... I've been amongst very wealthy Aussie Outback Landholders and you honestly wouldnt know. Though my mixing with the very wealthy here has been very limited, in comparison to the UK. Most of the Doctors, Psychologists and Psychiatrists that work with the wife that I've met here have been very sociable and dont mind mixing it with anyone, same goes for Solicitors come to think of it. So I'm not sure about your views Grayling. . In Fact when I worked at Morgan Guaranty, the only person that treated me like a human in my very early days when I was a mere bank messenger was Nick Whitlam... Gough Whitlams son. Some of the Americans were OK as well, but the UK Bank Platform Officers were out and out elitist snobs .

Mind you it could be just my own baggage..... Might be one of those situations where I have some values changed.

I'm gonna handball this one to the Missus dammit.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 5:23 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt if you've worked amongst these people to the extent that I have in my time in Londons broking houses.... 9 years to be exact... although a long while ago.
Which people?

If you are talking about the so called British upper classes....I lived amongst them and went to school and University with them....I was part of it.

I find the Australians I work with, the ones I meet at the Turf club and even those in our local bowls club are just as class aware and just as scathing about the "lower classes" as any I met or mixed with in England.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 6:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Grayling
Which people?

If you are talking about the so called British upper classes....I lived amongst them and went to school and University with them....I was part of it.

I find the Australians I work with, the ones I meet at the Turf club and even those in our local bowls club are just as class aware and just as scathing about the "lower classes" as any I met or mixed with in England.
Public School boys.... Sons of inherited money, who's parents "bought" them jobs in the City via the Old School Tie system.... Propped up by those who actually were good at the job, who came mostly through the Grammar school system and actually deserved to be in those jobs ....Clear enough ? The Baltic Exchange on Fenchurch St is full of them.

As for your example never encountered it, even though I've been around plenty of Rotarians, Lions Clubs members and have been invited to join the Freemasons in the past.

Not saying this is the situation I'm looking at currently though.... time will tell. Time for an open mind methinks.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 7:40 am
Bitter and twisted

Not saying this is the situation I'm looking at currently though.... time will tell. Time for an open mind methinks.
OK Ozzie.....Maybe this is a debate for another time and place.

Hope you are able to deal with your concerns.

....but youngsters will do what youngsters will do......and there is little we can do about it.

G
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Woodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
We have friends who sent their 3 children there. The family are ordinary peeps and in no way upper class. I can ask them for their opinion if you want.

HTH