British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Bogan Mother Removes Child from school aged 14 so he can go to work (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/bogan-mother-removes-child-school-aged-14-so-he-can-go-work-731081/)

eddie007 Sep 4th 2011 9:22 am

Bogan Mother Removes Child from school aged 14 so he can go to work

OMG

Can you believe it? Theres this woman in Shockingham who took her son out of a school aged 14 so he can go to work 4 days a week and TAFE for one???

The kid was no trouble at school, ok, " disengaged" but not causing any trouble... Nice lad, captain of his primary school... In all the sports teams, footie, soccer, cricket, basketball... Well liked... Has LOADS of friends... Really good at most sports... WTF is she thinking?

Poor child

See him leaving the house with his dad at 0630 every morning and KNOWS he doesnt get home til 1630.... And he reckons he's happy?

What does she think she's doing?

Turban Explorer Sep 4th 2011 9:28 am

Re: Bogan Mother Removes Child from school aged 14 so he can go to work

Is that legal? I thought you can only do a work apprenticeship/work from 16 onwards.

eddie007 Sep 4th 2011 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer (Post 9599433)
Is that legal? I thought you can only do a work apprenticeship/work from 16 onwards.

Apparently completely legal if the school agrees to release him and TAFE accepts him.... If not ere would have been a HUGE fight with the DEpt of ED

Suppose its nice to know its not JUST those kids that get themselves expelled or into deep trouble who can be alternatively educated

moneypenny20 Sep 4th 2011 10:02 am

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 9599434)
Apparently completely legal if the school agrees to release him and TAFE accepts him.... If not ere would have been a HUGE fight with the DEpt of ED

Suppose its nice to know its not JUST those kids that get themselves expelled or into deep trouble who can be alternatively educated

Hmmmm so how much of his salary is he going to have to hand over? I'm surprised TAFE accepted him at that age but I guess he's still getting some sort of education :unsure: What's he doing, cleaning chimneys?:rolleyes:

eddie007 Sep 4th 2011 10:11 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 9599472)
Hmmmm so how much of his salary is he going to have to hand over? I'm surprised TAFE accepted him at that age but I guess he's still getting some sort of education :unsure: What's he doing, cleaning chimneys?:rolleyes:

Unpaid (thpugh rumour has it the boss slips him a bit of pocket money)

None going to parents

The course is a pre apprenticeship course and requires two days worth of online self study and half a day attendence

Currently learning everything "the boy" does in a panel beating/ paint sparying workshop...

TAFE happy based on the fact the parents were proactive, the Department of Education sided with the parents and the kid had no adverse incidents or adverse reports, other than "we havea concern he has disengaged, not disruptive in anyway, just not "into" what we have to offer...

Apparently the ONLY objection was from the Head teacher who tried to put a gagging order on the kid, to prevent him from telling his mates, coz they'd all want to do the same....

Half way through year nine he is now halfway through a year ten equivilant that is a requisite for an apprenticeship program.

Bloody irrsponsible parents if you ask me;)

renth Sep 4th 2011 10:17 am

I don't think it's necessarily that bad, maybe she's doing what she believes is right for her son. I think there are a lot of worse parents who would be happier for their kids to continue failing at school or worse, truanting.

I think if the boy is learning a trade then I think there's a good chance that he might do well for himself.

sonlymewalter Sep 4th 2011 10:26 am

Originally Posted by renth (Post 9599499)
I don't think it's necessarily that bad, maybe she's doing what she believes is right for her son. I think there are a lot of worse parents who would be happier for their kids to continue failing at school or worse, truanting.

I think if the boy is learning a trade then I think there's a good chance that he might do well for himself.

Agree mate. Some kids just don't do well at school and eventually disrupt the whole class:thumbdown:

Learning a trade isn't new, beats algebra:unsure:

Kim67 Sep 4th 2011 10:50 am

It was quite common when I was at school. Completely legal that if you had a full time job or apprenticeship, you could leave school at 14. Not everyone went to Uni in those days and it was seen as a good thing for a not particularly academic kid to be able to move into a good apprenticeship instead of staying on at school. I wouldn't want to do it to my kids but each to their own I guess.

I was watching a news show on the ABC a couple of months back about kids in Queensland (Dalby etc) who are leaving school at 15 and going to TAFE, then straight into apprenticeships on the tide of the booming resources boom and earning $100k at 17.

Wendy Sep 4th 2011 10:58 am

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter (Post 9599509)
Agree mate. Some kids just don't do well at school and eventually disrupt the whole class:thumbdown:

Learning a trade isn't new, beats algebra:unsure:

Agree with you two. :)

brissybee Sep 4th 2011 11:15 am

Agree. I very reluctantly gave in to a change of high school for my teen when she entirely disengaged from her previous school.

It broke my heart to see her leave all her friends but when a kid that age checks out, any education is better than none in my view.

I'm speaking from experience. I checked out and left school at 15 and worked a hell of a lot of crap jobs before making my way back to uni at 21.

If he's working and learning, I think that's good.

spartacus Sep 5th 2011 2:37 am

Mods, can we please change the title of the thread to "Caring and Responsible Mother organises a trade-based education for her 14 year old son so he can go to work" . . . now that the full facts are known?

scottishcelts Sep 5th 2011 2:50 am

Not unusual - the pikey's have been doing the very same thing for donkey's years, and usually at around age 12 to 13.

Bix Sep 5th 2011 2:51 am

The disappointing thing is that this avenue appears to have dried up somewhat. In my youth it was the done thing for less academically minded kids to leave school at an earlier age to pursue things like trades. Less academical does not equate to less intelligent. Everyone aren't brain surgeons.

BTW I would not call you bogan Eddie.

renth Sep 5th 2011 2:52 am

Originally Posted by Bix (Post 9600701)
Everyone aren't brain surgeons.

I is brain surgeon!

Bix Sep 5th 2011 2:55 am

Originally Posted by renth (Post 9600702)
I is brain surgeon!

You're the one!

The forehead does look rather high in your avatar. :D

Kooky. Sep 5th 2011 2:55 am

I think it's a bit harsh. Without knowing the full story, I'd rather see a kid getting some kind of education than none at all.

I was a top stream student who lost her way a bit, did the bare minimum to get O'levels, hated sixth form and left in a huff after three weeks, went to work in local govt. and did day-release. I did pretty well for myself (in the commercial world, would have died of boredom in local govt.) before becoming a trailing spouse and sponging off my husband :)

I'm no child expert but I've done full-time voluntary work in Sg with Out of School Youths; some of them were expelled, some of them had parents in prison or who didn't care what they did, some of them didn't have the money for shoes...Our aim was not to force them back to school but to get them into a suitable alternative kind of education. That may have been the equivalent of TAFE, a private/business school, or into early National Service (for the boys). Even if they just learned life skills.

The selfish parent was the one that signed her boys out of school at 9 and 10 so they could stay at home and keep her company or babysit their half-brother. I worked with them at 16 and 17 - they didn't speak English, rarely left their estate, and were scared of their own shadows. :( No chance of a life.

JoeBloggs80 Sep 5th 2011 6:42 am

He'll probably be earning much more than 95% of his peers in 10 years time, and wont be straddled with a ton of uni debt either.

aston Sep 5th 2011 7:04 am

some kids just do better out of school(jeezus its frickin borin aint tit)..im sure this young man?whoever he may be ;)is a good en,and will make his mom and dad prouder than they already are..

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

sonlymewalter Sep 5th 2011 8:05 am

Originally Posted by spartacus (Post 9600686)
Mods, can we please change the title of the thread to "Caring and Responsible Mother organises a trade-based education for her 14 year old son so he can go to work" . . . now that the full facts are known?

:rofl:

Daft rag head:lol:

Kooky. Sep 5th 2011 8:14 am

Ohhh, penny's finally dropped from ast's post. Jesus, glad I didn't post the opposite view :eek:

sonlymewalter Sep 5th 2011 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Seasider (Post 9600706)
I think it's a bit harsh. Without knowing the full story, I'd rather see a kid getting some kind of education than none at all.

I was a top stream student who lost her way a bit, did the bare minimum to get O'levels, hated sixth form and left in a huff after three weeks, went to work in local govt. and did day-release. I did pretty well for myself (in the commercial world, would have died of boredom in local govt.) before becoming a trailing spouse and sponging off my husband :)

I'm no child expert but I've done full-time voluntary work in Sg with Out of School Youths; some of them were expelled, some of them had parents in prison or who didn't care what they did, some of them didn't have the money for shoes...Our aim was not to force them back to school but to get them into a suitable alternative kind of education. That may have been the equivalent of TAFE, a private/business school, or into early National Service (for the boys). Even if they just learned life skills.

The selfish parent was the one that signed her boys out of school at 9 and 10 so they could stay at home and keep her company or babysit their half-brother. I worked with them at 16 and 17 - they didn't speak English, rarely left their estate, and were scared of their own shadows. :( No chance of a life.

some kids like you are acedemic, they just show no interest. This is a great happy medium till later on when they find heir feet:thumbup:

Kooky. Sep 5th 2011 8:25 am

Oh, I just discovered older boys with money and cars :o Oh and Bacardi :)

sonlymewalter Sep 5th 2011 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Seasider (Post 9601110)
Oh, I just discovered older boys with money and cars :o Oh and Bacardi :)

me too:thumbsup: much more fun than bleedin math:rolleyes:

aston Sep 5th 2011 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Seasider (Post 9601094)
Ohhh, penny's finally dropped from ast's post. Jesus, glad I didn't post the opposite view :eek:

i didnt even know monneypenny was expecting,,,jeezus it all happens on ere,,,,,,

Kooky. Sep 5th 2011 9:17 am

Originally Posted by aston (Post 9601153)
i didnt even know monneypenny was expecting,,,jeezus it all happens on ere,,,,,,

Oi. That's how rumours start. (It's how I found out my husband has been sleeping with one of my best friends for over three years, despite them not having been in the same country the whole time.)

moneypenny20 Sep 5th 2011 9:20 am

Originally Posted by aston (Post 9601153)

Neither did I and considering the surgery I had a few months back it would be a complete bloody miracle. Maybe I could make some money out of it.......

Kooky. Sep 5th 2011 9:23 am

According to my old cleaner all you need is some Chinese herbs, MP.

moneypenny20 Sep 5th 2011 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Seasider (Post 9601185)
According to my old cleaner all you need is some Chinese herbs, MP.

What, to incubate when the incubator no longer exists? Wow! :lol: I'll give it a miss thanks. :blink:

Kooky. Sep 5th 2011 10:12 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 9601196)
What, to incubate when the incubator no longer exists? Wow! :lol: I'll give it a miss thanks. :blink:

I thought I'd explained to her several times (operation, lah, not possible!) but she was adamant it would work; I think we had a bit of a language problem. :unsure: I did tell a couple of other people there, who also couldn't get it, that I couldn't have children because I used to be a man. (In SEA, that's far more credible.)

aston Sep 5th 2011 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Seasider (Post 9601264)
I thought I'd explained to her several times (operation, lah, not possible!) but she was adamant it would work; I think we had a bit of a language problem. :unsure: I did tell a couple of other people there, who also couldn't get it, that I couldn't have children because I used to be a man. (In SEA, that's far more credible.)

you aint hayley cropper are you?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Kooky. Sep 5th 2011 10:28 am

Originally Posted by aston (Post 9601273)
you aint hayley cropper are you?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Felicity Kendal, Maggie Philbin, Aneka Rice, Hayley Cropper...aston, I can be anything you want me to be :wub:

(I did have to dredge my memory for that one.)

eddie007 Sep 5th 2011 11:01 am

Thanks for not damning me guys..

Did the best we could for our lad... Thought that two weeks of Proper work over the last school holidays would give him a kick up the arse...

backfired big time, came home walking ten feet tall, He gets home and cant wait to tell us what he's learned today, what he's made, stripped down, put back together ... Course we would know nothing about that, his dad being the foreman...

He gets more ripping from the lads... Being the foremans son, they make sure they give him a bloody hard time and give him all the worst jobs... But apparently no matter what they do he's always on the lookout for how he can help them when he's finished his jobs... And even had a bright idea last week, that earned him a bonus from the boss... (saving them some money through his observation)

When HE has a day off Gorgeous arranges his own lift into work from one of the other lads... So he doesnt miss anything

as parents we want the best for our kids, and do the best we can.... Its not always the traditional thing that works..

For the first time since leaving primary school he is genuinely happy, feels like he is useful and not useless and he behaves like the young man he has become... And not a petulant, disengaged hormonal teenager..

I'm dead bloody proud of him... His work ethic, his attitude and what a fantastic kid he is ... IN the RIGHT environment for him..

Yes he'll go on and do a proper apprenticeship, he'll have a head start on others applying, Maybe one day he will want to do summit academic, but he's very much like HIM.... So I'm not holding my breath...

Apologies for the title, but SOME responses to the above information have been, how shall we put it.....? "a little judgemental"

Wendy Sep 5th 2011 11:23 am

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 9601350)

Did the best we could for our lad... Thought that two weeks of Proper work over the last school holidays would give him a kick up the arse...

backfired big time, came home walking ten feet tall, He gets home and cant wait to tell us what he's learned today, what he's made, stripped down, put back together ... Course we would know nothing about that, his dad being the foreman...

He gets more ripping from the lads... Being the foremans son, they make sure they give him a bloody hard time and give him all the worst jobs... But apparently no matter what they do he's always on the lookout for how he can help them when he's finished his jobs... And even had a bright idea last week, that earned him a bonus from the boss... (saving them some money through his observation)

When HE has a day off Gorgeous arranges his own lift into work from one of the other lads... So he doesnt miss anything

as parents we want the best for our kids, and do the best we can.... Its not always the traditional thing that works..

For the first time since leaving primary school he is genuinely happy, feels like he is useful and not useless and he behaves like the young man he has become... And not a petulant, disengaged hormonal teenager..

I'm dead bloody proud of him... His work ethic, his attitude and what a fantastic kid he is ... IN the RIGHT environment for him..

Yes he'll go on and do a proper apprenticeship, he'll have a head start on others applying, Maybe one day he will want to do summit academic, but he's very much like HIM.... So I'm not holding my breath...

Apologies for the title, but SOME responses to the above information have been, how shall we put it.....? "a little judgemental"

Good on you hun. :thumbup:

Bernieboy Sep 5th 2011 11:54 am

Perfect start to adulthood:thumbup:

sonlymewalter Sep 5th 2011 6:54 pm

..........Apologies for the title, but SOME responses to the above information have been, how shall we put it.....? "a little judgemental"

mate, you asked people for their opinion which means people will give it:confused:

Good luck to your son:thumbup:

rasen78 Sep 5th 2011 7:24 pm

He sounds like he is a wonderful young man and a credit to his parents.:thumbsup:

Still not forgiven oyu for the snake thing tho:p

Rambi Sep 5th 2011 8:48 pm

:lol:

Good onya Eddie. :thumbup:

eddie007 Sep 5th 2011 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter (Post 9601942)
mate, you asked people for their opinion which means people will give it:confused:

Good luck to your son:thumbup:

Yup, I asked for opinions on here because I am now ready to hear what others think... The opinions offered at the time were not invited... They were imposed on me at a time I was making a really hard decision.

I would not have been TOTALLY offended if anyone had questioned whether it was right to remove a child from school to start "leanring to work"

My worst thoughts were .... He is going to spend his whole life working why start it now?

I also worried that because although he was now disengaged from the education offered at school he might next become disruptive, I've seen that happen...

i learned things at school that benefited me, but then I suppose I'm academic, this is alien to me in many ways... i loved learning about History.... English etc... I suppose if you have dyslexia (which isnt recognised here) it must make EVERYTHING hard work and therefore painful, not joyful.. Tho he DID love the metal work and woodwork side of things... And always worked hard in those two lessons... His metalwork teacher was actually REALLY supportive... Said he's a good kid, works hard, is able with his hands and brain when it comes to constuction... He actually said that for Gorgeous it was a shame school couldnt just be metal work as he could see unhappy he was in other lessons...

I was ready to hear other, different, opinions and use the discussions to help me justify to myself what I've done...

I use this site that way sometimes... Sorry.... But I do it on MY terms... Not in the shopping centre at rocko being pounced on by some one who disagrees with my actions... Lol

asprilla Sep 6th 2011 2:46 am

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 9602306)
I was ready to hear other, different, opinions and use the discussions to help me justify to myself what I've done...

Well my view (right or wrong) is that perhaps he should have stayed in school, so that he can build on his social skills, strengthen friendships, play sports and you know, maybe learn a few things too ! (that last bit would be a bonus, not compulsory)

Will he meet any girls on the building site? I highly doubt it.

It's a tough one. You know your son better than anyone else, his strengths and weaknesses. You and the hubby are the only ones who can decide.

Very hard for us to help you "justify it to yourself".

But if it helps, here's my take on it.... If a work colleague told me "..blah blah... and by the way, mrs miggins has pulled her 14yr old son out of school so that he can work in her pie shop", my reaction would be "is mrs miggins out of her mind????!!!"

But if mrs miggins had started a thread on BE giving me a bit of background context... well then I may well just respond to my colleague and say "hey buddy. Give mrs miggins a break".

Hope that made some kind of sense...

moneypenny20 Sep 6th 2011 2:55 am

Originally Posted by asprilla (Post 9602567)
Well my view (right or wrong) is that perhaps he should have stayed in school, so that he can build on his social skills, strengthen friendships, play sports and you know, maybe learn a few things too ! (that last bit would be a bonus, not compulsory)

Will he meet any girls on the building site? I highly doubt it.

That was my initial thought but in relation to TAFE - no real chance of making good mates there because of the age difference and I didn't think about the work point. But yeah, if the parents, child, TAFE and work are happy then it's got more of a chance of working than wasting time at school.

Eddie, will you have to have Ed WA or some 'authority' checking up on him? Is there a limit to the number of hours he can work? Presumably not if he's apprenticeshipping.......