Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Boat question tinny vs fiberglass

Wikiposts

Boat question tinny vs fiberglass

Old Nov 14th 2010, 9:10 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boat question tinny vs fiberglass

Here we go. No pics on the water yet.

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Pictures please.
Attached Thumbnails Boat question tinny vs fiberglass-boat.jpg  
Old Nov 14th 2010, 9:13 am

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

That seems like a good deal!

I ended up getting the Quintrex for the same price as the Stacer in the end, looked at second hand models and a 2004 with a 2 stroke is only a few k cheaper then a new boat with a 4 EFI 4 stroke crazy. One of the reasons I went with Quintrex was the resale value so in a few years if I want to upgrade it won't hit too hard.

Originally Posted by Mav
i went for the 5.5 meter M tune version of the stessco,we go out to the other side of Morton island alot,i brought it new last year from the boat show and had a bit of a deal with them, front and side clears keep me warm and dry in the worst of conditions,4mm plate bottom 3mm sides so its strong too, the big 4 stroke engine is far better than any 2 stroke i ever bin in or owned and all for 33k, i couldnt get anything else near that price they all came out 10k more
160hrs on it now
happy days
Old Nov 14th 2010, 9:16 am

I was put off a cabin in a tinny, the only time I would use it was in rough seas and the last place you want to be in a tinny in rough sea is in the bow with no view of the horizon, sea sick city.

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I'd still probably go for a tinny, with a bit of a cabin
Old Nov 14th 2010, 9:35 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Nice boat

A couple of bits of advice:

Avoid the popular ramps at the weekends until you get very good at launching and retrieving. There are often queues to launch and people get very angry if someone is hogging the ramp too long....there have been numerous cases of 'ramp rage' ending in violence. Some ramps are also known for car break ins and trailer theft so be aware.

As I said earler be very careful on the bay....it is not the serene mill pond it sometimes seems and which some would have you believe
It can get very rough and dangerous very quickly especially in the afternoons. You may already know all this but safety is a key concern with small boats. I have been out on the bay in a 50 ft. boat and it has got very uncomfortable at times

enjoy

Last edited by Grayling; Nov 14th 2010 at 9:37 am.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Avoid the popular ramps at the weekends until you get very good at launching and retrieving. There are often queues to launch and people get very angry if someone is hogging the ramp too long....there have been numerous cases of 'ramp rage' ending in violence.
It became immediately obvious to me that there was a lot of skill or experience required here to observe protocol/best practise. Stress levels would be high especially when people and partners are watching.

Also that no end of (spectator)sport could be had from just being a casual observer. Infact a newbie could spend a few hours watching others at the ramp and learn quite a bit from observation.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Also that no end of (spectator)sport could be had from just being a casual observer. Infact a newbie could spend a few hours watching others at the ramp and learn quite a bit from observation.
Like last year at the Santa Barbara boat ramp when a guy forgot to shackle his chain to the boat and when he drove of his boat rolled off the trailer and onto the boat ramp.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 12:03 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

It became immediately obvious to me that there was a lot of skill or experience required here to observe protocol/best practise. Stress levels would be high especially when people and partners are watching.

I avoid busy ramps as much as possible, far to many selfish & ignorant users that will hog a ramp for ages while readying their craft. That's what the rigging lanes are for yet these guys drive passed the queues of boats in the rigging lanes & then jump on the ramp & proceed to rig up.
As I often launch & retrieve on my own I tend to go to ramps where there are only a few others, my boat rolls off the trailer effortlessly & I can retrieve it in just a few mins, however it needs to be left unattended while I fetch the trailer & I often find at busier ramps the wash caused by incoming or outgoing boats refloats mine & that causes problems, even chucking the anchor out way up the beach leaves to much room for it to swing into other craft.
I've seen cars reverse down the ramp & just keep going straight over the end, seen boats fall onto the ramp from the trailer, boats that are dragged out up the ramp with the leg still down, boats where three or four blokes were pushing with all their might to launch from a trailer only to find that there was still a ratchet strap on the stern
My own favourite is the boat that goes out without the bungs fitted lol I've done that one myself when my boat had twin bungs & my deckie only fitted the one Lucky for me my boat is powerful enough to get up on the plane with 40 gallons of water aboard & empty itself.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 12:14 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Boat question tinny vs fiberglass

Originally Posted by cresta57
I've seen cars reverse down the ramp & just keep going straight over the end, seen boats fall onto the ramp from the trailer, boats that are dragged out up the ramp with the leg still down, boats where three or four blokes were pushing with all their might to launch from a trailer only to find that there was still a ratchet strap on the stern
Yep I've seen all of them - the worst mistake I made was launching with the washing headphones still on - luckily it was spotted before any disaster.

There seems to be a propensity at my ramp for people to launch and then somehow get broadside on to the ramp, followed by a lot of pushing off with oars etc to get into deep enough water to drive away....

BB
Old Nov 14th 2010, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

We've joined the tinny club!

First outing this weekend - 3 x burnt foreheads and 1 x burnt feet but lots and lots of fun!

Why didn't we buy one sooner!
Attached Thumbnails Boat question tinny vs fiberglass-370ex.bmp  
Old Nov 14th 2010, 2:23 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jothefw
We've joined the tinny club!

First outing this weekend - 3 x burnt foreheads and 1 x burnt feet but lots and lots of fun!

Why didn't we buy one sooner!
Might just be me but can't open the bitmap picture.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 8:25 pm

My worst mistake so far is driving to Bribie with the trailer brake still on
Still sounds like you can do worse.

the worst mistake I made was launching with the washing headphones still on -
The shorncliffe ramp never seem busy, not sure why I think it had a bad rep until they upgraded it last year and put a pontoon in.

The builder across the road also told me about a quiet ramp on bribie.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 9:00 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
Here we go. No pics on the water yet.
your going to have some excellent fun mate

ps going out to the 23`s early tommorrow
Old Dec 5th 2010, 10:08 pm

Joined the VMR and they have a private boat ramp pontoon and lockup, so that should solve the "low life" issues.

Found launching the boat easier then I expected.

Originally Posted by Grayling
Nice boat
Avoid the popular ramps at the weekends until you get very good at launching and retrieving. There are often queues to launch and people get very angry if someone is hogging the ramp too long....there have been numerous cases of 'ramp rage' ending in violence. Some ramps are also known for car break ins and trailer theft so be aware.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 8:00 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Boat question tinny vs fiberglass

Here's a video of myself in our boat and two friends in their boats out on Port Philip this weekend. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j6fYllpvKw

BB
Old Dec 7th 2010, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a video of myself in our boat and two friends in their boats out on Port Philip this weekend. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j6fYllpvKw

BB
Fantastic! We go to the river so much, you forget how gloriously bright blue the sea can be! Loved the seals too!

Boat novice that I am - the boats round here are either tinnys, speed boats for skiing behind or sea going fishing things. What is the main use of a boat like yours? It looks good enough to ski behind but do many people do that in the sea??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.