Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Bloody ants - how can i get rid of em?

Bloody ants - how can i get rid of em?

Old Jan 29th 2010, 8:29 am
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bloody ants - how can i get rid of em?

Don't label them all bad, just like snakes, many are harmless. I personally think it's our job as migrants to learn what's dangerous and what isn't, not to go all out to exterminate all bugs, snakes, spiders etc etc.
Would you kill a dolphin or a whale just for looking like a shark?
Education not eradication!
couldn't agree more, well said
Old Jan 29th 2010, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish
couldn't agree more, well said

Well i couldn't agree less!!!!

Kill em, there's plenty more. Let em live somewhere else. You wouldn't let a shark live in ya toilet would ya? So why let ants live in ya house?

J
Old Jan 29th 2010, 9:24 am
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jazzys
Well i couldn't agree less!!!!

Kill em, there's plenty more. Let em live somewhere else. You wouldn't let a shark live in ya toilet would ya? So why let ants live in ya house?

J
you can't be serious, I aint jumpin in my pool and killing the croc, he's enormous
Old Jan 29th 2010, 11:48 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by wannabe in oz
hi guys, just reading your posts and was wondering what a skink is?
I was wondering the same, but I assume they may be geckos, as we find Geckos much more common than Skinks, although this may depend on the area?

We tolerate them as they eat cockroaches, mozzies etc., and they cause us no harm

Skink:

Gecko (about 2-4 inches long)

Old Jan 30th 2010, 9:37 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mipik

As we have a big wild bird living in the garden I do not spray anything there.
No need to I guess... the big wild bird probably gobbles up all the ants?
Old Jan 30th 2010, 9:42 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I was wondering the same, but I assume they may be geckos, as we find Geckos much more common than Skinks, although this may depend on the area?

We tolerate them as they eat cockroaches, mozzies etc., and they cause us no harm

Skink:
http://museumvictoria.com.au/bioinfo...cttymlive1.jpg

Gecko (about 2-4 inches long)
http://museumvictoria.com.au/bioinfo...intellive2.jpg

We have thousands of skinks and geckos in the gardens.... skinks hide in the undergrowth and leaf litter, and they are easily scared. Geckos are a little more relaxed. They are usually seen high up on walls, on windows, or walking across the ceiling. They love to hang around in groups near the outdoor lights, gobbling moths.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 9:46 pm
Account Open

Originally Posted by jazzys
Hi, anyone got any idea how i can get rid of these tiny little ants that keep ending up in my kitchen and bathroom?

Yeah i can kill em but more keep coming. Tried liquid ant rid but it ain't working.

Any other ideas?

Jazzys
might sound a bit silly at first, but why not get a couple of pet anteaters? Take a look at the photos in this thread, they look like quite playful little chaps.

Plus, you won't need to buy any food for them, so they are cheap to run.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 5:01 am
Jenny

Location: Bradford, but moving to Busselton WA in Sept 2010 (yay!!!!)
morrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by asprilla
might sound a bit silly at first, but why not get a couple of pet anteaters? Take a look at the photos in this thread, they look like quite playful little chaps.

Plus, you won't need to buy any food for them, so they are cheap to run.
Not sure what the dog would make of them, but they're really sweet (though not keen on their taste in clothes!). Wonder if they're still sweet when they grow up!!
Old Jan 31st 2010, 5:12 am
Jenny

Location: Bradford, but moving to Busselton WA in Sept 2010 (yay!!!!)
morrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant future

I've just been reading up about anteaters (something to do when stuck in on a Sunday) - a giant anteater, which is only the size of a large dog, can eat up to 30,000 ants a day. Impressive!!
Old Jan 31st 2010, 6:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morrisj3
I've just been reading up about anteaters (something to do when stuck in on a Sunday) - a giant anteater, which is only the size of a large dog, can eat up to 30,000 ants a day. Impressive!!
Ah, a niche market job opportunity beckons......environmentally friendly anteater man will come and get rid of the little blighters.

My sister informs me that if you put a conker on the windowsill it stops them coming in, but I haven't seen any horse chestnut trees locally, and must admit to being sceptical about that.

Last edited by carolinephillips; Jan 31st 2010 at 6:26 am.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 9:36 am
Account Open

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
My sister informs me that if you put a conker on the windowsill it stops them coming in, but I haven't seen any horse chestnut trees locally, and must admit to being sceptical about that.
Yeah, when we were back in the UK my mum was trying to convince us that scattering conkers around the house would keep out spiders.

We tried it whilst we were there. I can confirm that it does not work. In fact it may actually draw spiders into the house, if anything.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

zuess