Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Blood Donation in Oz

Blood Donation in Oz

Old Jul 15th 2009, 11:13 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Blood Donation in Oz

I've given blood since I was 18 and am due to give today, I changed my facebook status accordingly and to my horror I've found out that I am not allowed to give in Oz because I've lived in the UK and might have 'the dreaded lurgy' - GUTTED!!! I always considered it to be my doing my bit for society...bummer!

http://www.donateblood.com.au/

I can’t give blood as I lived in the United Kingdom for six months during the period 1980-1996. When will a test for vCJD be developed?

Although the number of cases of vCJD (the human form of 'mad cow disease') in the UK is declining, in the absence of a screening test, the full extent of exposure is not known.

The Australian Red Cross Blood Service is monitoring progress in the development of a reliable blood screening test for vCJD. Should this deferral policy be changed for any reason, please be assured that this information will be disseminated widely. For more information click here....
Old Jul 15th 2009, 11:21 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blood Donation in Oz

However you can give your organs if you die
Old Jul 15th 2009, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light

Nobody would want my organ!!
Old Jul 15th 2009, 11:26 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve G
Nobody would want my organ!!

It's not working anyway. You look too blue to me
Old Jul 15th 2009, 11:28 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
However you can give your organs if you die
Would they take a piano instead?

Back OT though, I was quite taken aback as well to find that I couldn't give blood, although secretly (although not so secretly now that I'm writing it on an internet forum! ) relieved as I'm a big girly woose when it comes to blood.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag
Would they take a piano instead?

Back OT though, I was quite taken aback as well to find that I couldn't give blood, although secretly (although not so secretly now that I'm writing it on an internet forum! ) relieved as I'm a big girly woose when it comes to blood.
And there's a shortage of blood too
Old Jul 15th 2009, 11:46 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Tis a b*gger eh...I aint no lurgy carrier! GRRR
Old Jul 15th 2009, 11:57 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

My youngest was born in Feb 1995. Unless they develop a test for vCJD she will never be able to give blood, seems slightly daft especially as I don't think I was feeding her pureed cow. It must affect a fair few Australians and other nationals as well considering how many backpackers the UK gets.

Fill out the organ donation card and realise that you're still doing more than a lot of people who either can't or won't do that much. I feel quite strongly that organ donation should be obligatory and you should have to opt out rather than the current system but I'm not in charge so there you go.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:04 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
My youngest was born in Feb 1995. Unless they develop a test for vCJD she will never be able to give blood, seems slightly daft especially as I don't think I was feeding her pureed cow. It must affect a fair few Australians and other nationals as well considering how many backpackers the UK gets.

Fill out the organ donation card and realise that you're still doing more than a lot of people who either can't or won't do that much. I feel quite strongly that organ donation should be obligatory and you should have to opt out rather than the current system but I'm not in charge so there you go.
Yeah, it should be part of your driving license etc, if you're an adult! I haven't eaten any beef/red meat for at least 15 years...but hey ho, they wont take my word for it!
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:32 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

I find it really annoying that we cant give blood-there are plenty of other things to worry about-and lets be honest- the chances of contacting CJD is virtually nil- the bloody australians stand a much greater chance of dying because thier 'true blue' fellow countrymen cant be arsed to donate!
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:57 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by squeezzii
I find it really annoying that we cant give blood-there are plenty of other things to worry about-and lets be honest- the chances of contacting CJD is virtually nil- the bloody australians stand a much greater chance of dying because thier 'true blue' fellow countrymen cant be arsed to donate!
The USA, Canada and NZ (and probably others) also ban anyone who lived for only 3 or 6 months in the UK and France and to a lesser extent the rest of Europe during the same 16 year period. Unfortunately I don't think any country in the world has the amount of blood they require. I think people generally just don't consider it but when a call goes out after an emergency, a lot of those who wouldn't normally do go forward and they end up with enough.

No idea how you convince many people they should. It only gets on many people's wave length when they know someone who's needed a transfusion.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

One of my mother-in-law's best friends has lived in Australia for 20 years - lost her husband a few years back and decided to go home to the UK. She's just been diagnosed with vCJD.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 1:14 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Kim67
One of my mother-in-law's best friends has lived in Australia for 20 years - lost her husband a few years back and decided to go home to the UK. She's just been diagnosed with vCJD.
That's awful. Sincere sympathies to her. Do they have any idea if it was recently contracted or just carried since before she moved out here?
Old Jul 15th 2009, 1:17 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Tis a b*gger eh...I aint no lurgy carrier! GRRR
You trying to tell me you're sane? -
Old Jul 15th 2009, 1:28 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
You trying to tell me you're sane? -
Defo lolololol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.