Blood

Old May 7th 2006, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

karmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant future
Default Re: Blood

I've been reading this entire thread and I don't usually post much unless it's a question related to emigrating and so on, but I felt compelled to just put in my two pence worth here. I'm a little saddened and disappointed by what appear to be obvious homophobic comments on here from some people. Sloake, I can see where you're coming from and I agree that it is ridiculous you're classed as a higher risk than a hetereosexual male when this group is the group with the highest increase in HIV and AIDS at the moment. It is discrimination and it's just another example of gay people wanting to help out and play their role as a good citizen but not being able to. In saying that, I couldn't personally lie on the form as I would be uncomfortable with that, but still, I absolutely see your point about how someone needing a donor wouldn't give a damn whether the person was gay or straight, so long as they matched and were disease free.
I don't like this tone that because you're gay you're living a high risk lifestyle. I think this is ridiculous. The number of people who live high risk lifestyles but are straight probably far outweighs gays. I am a lesbian who thankfully is considered low risk but then I wonder whether they'd care and if there's a box for lesbian as well as gay on the form.
Anyway, it's pretty obvious from certain comments on here why there are still problems with equality in the world.
Old May 7th 2006, 1:21 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

That's it, Im turning mormon......or is it Jehovah witness.....or Muslim.....or Catholic....or Christian

Whatever it is....aint no blood for me

On a serious note, can anyone save / donate their own blood for their own use and if so, how long can it be stored for?
Old May 7th 2006, 1:26 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
Anyone else frustrated at seeing all these requests for blood donors and not being able to help out? I've given regularly in the UK for years but British blood isn't wanted around the world

For those that didn't know:
[/size][/font]

http://www.arcbs.redcross.org.au/Don...e/eligible.asp
I only lived in UK for a year in late 80s and I can't give blood either due to this. They are worried about mad cow disease apparently.
Old May 7th 2006, 1:26 pm
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute

Ay, but I do agree with some of the comments regarding gays and HIV. It is just as easy, if not easier for heterosexuals to pass it on than the average gay person.
Can't wait for a test for CJD though - bloody prions

Originally Posted by willo
Back in the UK in the early nineties we used the filters for leukemic patients as they do in Aus, its strange, you do your job day in and out for the good of the patients to hear some of the comments just annoys me that people lie to prove a point. Whats it all about. ps hope the tea was filtered
Old May 7th 2006, 1:30 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by karmagirls
I've been reading this entire thread and I don't usually post much unless it's a question related to emigrating and so on, but I felt compelled to just put in my two pence worth here. I'm a little saddened and disappointed by what appear to be obvious homophobic comments on here from some people. Sloake, I can see where you're coming from and I agree that it is ridiculous you're classed as a higher risk than a hetereosexual male when this group is the group with the highest increase in HIV and AIDS at the moment. It is discrimination and it's just another example of gay people wanting to help out and play their role as a good citizen but not being able to. In saying that, I couldn't personally lie on the form as I would be uncomfortable with that, but still, I absolutely see your point about how someone needing a donor wouldn't give a damn whether the person was gay or straight, so long as they matched and were disease free.
I don't like this tone that because you're gay you're living a high risk lifestyle. I think this is ridiculous. The number of people who live high risk lifestyles but are straight probably far outweighs gays. I am a lesbian who thankfully is considered low risk but then I wonder whether they'd care and if there's a box for lesbian as well as gay on the form.
Anyway, it's pretty obvious from certain comments on here why there are still problems with equality in the world.
Actually, I think you need to re-read the thread. No one on here has been homophobic, except of course if you think people explaining their jobs and the reasons behind donating is being homophobic

Homophobia obviously exists in the world and gays have as much right to fight their corner as the rest of society. But the world consists of many people with many viewpoints and having a different viewpoint does not make people anti gay.

Now back off....I've stopped smoking and I'm about to bitch slap you with me handbag
Old May 7th 2006, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

willo is a jewel in the roughwillo is a jewel in the roughwillo is a jewel in the roughwillo is a jewel in the rough

[QUOTE=Sass73]It takes about 3 months from infection to positive testing hence my comment earlier about the 6 months.

Spent some time in lab at arcbs recently, they now perform a ??NAT test which covers the window period for the HIV virus so it shows up straight away.
Old May 7th 2006, 1:31 pm
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you can. Red cells have a shelf life of about 30 days but its best to be used as soon as possible. Plasma can be frozen and is used to expand blood volume in the event of major trauma so you could investigate that. Also, if you have group A, B or AB blood, rhesus positive, and your partner is group O, you can get a straight donation from them. If you are going for an operation, you can ask about the possibility of donating your own blood for the operation.
Personally I am going the EPO route if I have to.

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
That's it, Im turning mormon......or is it Jehovah witness.....or Muslim.....or Catholic....or Christian

On a serious note, can anyone save / donate their own blood for their own use and if so, how long can it be stored for?
Old May 7th 2006, 1:34 pm
That's Dr Bitch to you

Cool. Been out of the labs for a couple of years so that is great news.
Still won't convince me to have blood though.

[QUOTE=willo]
Originally Posted by Sass73
It takes about 3 months from infection to positive testing hence my comment earlier about the 6 months.

Spent some time in lab at arcbs recently, they now perform a ??NAT test which covers the window period for the HIV virus so it shows up straight away.
Old May 7th 2006, 1:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sass73
Personally I am going the EPO route if I have to.
Is that a type of visa

Old May 7th 2006, 1:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

As someone who has had 6 units of blood after i delivered my first soon when i lost a lot of blood and became severely anaemic i am no longer allowed to give blood. However i was told that if i wanted to donate my own blood for my use i could ,this was considered when i needed major abdominal surgery. I did give 2 units as they considered this to be enough as a saftey measure. However it was not needed and as far as i know was destroyed i didn't find out about shelf life.
Mandy
Old May 7th 2006, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

karmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant future

Actually, I think you need to re-read the thread. No one on here has been homophobic, except of course if you think people explaining their jobs and the reasons behind donating is being homophobic

Homophobia obviously exists in the world and gays have as much right to fight their corner as the rest of society. But the world consists of many people with many viewpoints and having a different viewpoint does not make people anti gay.

Now back off....I've stopped smoking and I'm about to bitch slap you with me handbag
There are definitely some homophobic comments on here. I wasn't questioning those that are describing their jobs. They're clearly very qualified and should be happy to provide their knowledgeable opinion.
I am also aware that the world consists of many people with many different viewpoints. I'm a sociologist, funnily enough I study society.
As a non-gay person, perhaps you simply aren't as aware of what can be seen as slightly inflammatory, you haven't lived it so that's understandable. I'm not about to get into something with you or anyone else. I was expressing my opinion, which as you so rightly just pointed out is as valid as everyone elses. At least I did mine politely and regardless of the comedy icons at the end of your post, I didn't feel the need to single one person out or mention 'backing off' because of an opinion.
I'm sure this will only serve to irritate you, but I won't be getting involved in a flame war.
Old May 7th 2006, 1:40 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly ALL blood is tested for HIV, HEP C etc. And yes you can self donate and have it stored but I am not sure of the procedure for this or how long it can be stored for. Ask your GP/hospital/ red cross
Old May 7th 2006, 1:41 pm
That's Dr Bitch to you

EPO is erthryopoietin. Its an artifical red cell expander drug. Very expensive. The type that they give to athletes to expand their oxygen levels, or given to mountain climbers who go to very high altitudes

Is that a type of visa

Old May 7th 2006, 1:49 pm
Account Closed

There are definitely some homophobic comments on here. I wasn't questioning those that are describing their jobs. They're clearly very qualified and should be happy to provide their knowledgeable opinion.
I am also aware that the world consists of many people with many different viewpoints. I'm a sociologist, funnily enough I study society.
As a non-gay person, perhaps you simply aren't as aware of what can be seen as slightly inflammatory, you haven't lived it so that's understandable. I'm not about to get into something with you or anyone else. I was expressing my opinion, which as you so rightly just pointed out is as valid as everyone elses. At least I did mine politely and regardless of the comedy icons at the end of your post, I didn't feel the need to single one person out or mention 'backing off' because of an opinion.
I'm sure this will only serve to irritate you, but I won't be getting involved in a flame war.
How do you know I'm not gay?

As for you being a sociologist, speaks for itself. You obviously know everything there is to know about people

I reckon you've got a long way to go.....

And as for donation, I reckon someone round here needs a personality bypass

And as for your post irritating me. No one can irritate me without my consent ........and you don't have it

[I added the smilies especially as I realise you like them ]
Old May 7th 2006, 1:53 pm
Account Closed

I'm a sociologist, funnily enough I study society.
Funny that, it says you're a driving instructor on your profile

You obviously went to the University of life to gain those skills hey

April 17, 1975 Gender:
Female Location:
Glasgow... Brisbane next year hopefully!
Occupation Driving Instructor

karmagirls is not a member of any public groups