British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Bligh says "No" despite a clear majority (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/bligh-says-no-despite-clear-majority-484551/)

annqldau Oct 1st 2007 6:59 am

Bligh says "No" despite a clear majority

Although those in favour were in the majority Bligh is saying no because those against don't want it, so won't hold a referendum.

Where's the logic in that, surely the fact that 64% in Brisbane and Gold Coast area wanted shows there's a reason to hold one.

She's showing she's as big a prat as her predecessor.

spalen Oct 1st 2007 8:07 am

Re: Bligh says "No" despite a clear majority

Originally Posted by annqldau (Post 5372837)
Although those in favour were in the majority Bligh is saying no because those against don't want it, so won't hold a referendum.

Where's the logic in that, surely the fact that 64% in Brisbane and Gold Coast area wanted shows there's a reason to hold one.

She's showing she's as big a prat as her predecessor.

I must've been living under a rock - I totally missed Beattie resigning and Bligh taking over.

Pollyana Oct 1st 2007 8:27 am

Polly removes Mods hat to scream....

"B*gger the cows and the chickens you stupid politician, and give me some light evenings!" :mad:

Fat Bloke Oct 1st 2007 8:30 am

Unflippinbelievable.

It would be nice to sit outside and eat without being eaten by mozzies when I get in from work.

Anna Bligh you need to listen to the people or you will be sent packing.

moneypenny20 Oct 1st 2007 9:33 am

Bummer, hadn't heard that. I thought she might have been up for it. Surely though if Beattie said yes to a referendum she is vaguely honour bound to do one:confused: Just as we're coming up to hubby living on a different time scale from the rest of us for six months :frown:

Vegemite Oct 1st 2007 10:37 am

Regional Queensland didn't want it. It's about time the SE corner of Qld realised that the rest of the state exists, and I think she has made a very positive decision on our behalf. I think good on her.

JAJ Oct 1st 2007 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Vegemite (Post 5373413)
Regional Queensland didn't want it. It's about time the SE corner of Qld realised that the rest of the state exists, and I think she has made a very positive decision on our behalf. I think good on her.

Regional QLD doesn't have to have daylight saving. Absolutely no reason why there can't be a separate timezone foe the SE.

In the United States and Canada, many states/provinces are on split timezones.

Vim Fuego Oct 1st 2007 11:34 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 5373511)
Regional QLD doesn't have to have daylight saving. Absolutely no reason why there can't be a separate timezone foe the SE.

In the United States and Canada, many states/provinces are on split timezones.

Apart from the fact that (as far as I can gather) the research also showed that people were generally against split time-zones.

I agree with Vegemite, she said she wanted to represent the whole of the state and she has put her money where her mouth is ... good on her.

Now, if she REALLY wants to listen to regional Queensland then maybe she'll have a look at those council amalgamations ... unlikely at best I'd say.

And on the subject of those, I'd imagine that some reorganisation was required but the way it has been done is heavy-handed and done nothing for the government's reputation.

Now for the yearly Flouridation debate :)

cresta57 Oct 1st 2007 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Vegemite (Post 5373413)

I'm inclined to agree, dividing the state just because the people in the SE want an extra hour of daylight in the evening is a bit warped. I can't see why the posters here on Expats should be so vocal in seeking to change a small corner of a huge state. They all moved here by choice, maybe they should have gone to NSW or Vic instead.
Bloody whinging Poms:p

;)

Richard007 Oct 1st 2007 12:26 pm

guys guys guys...the peoples voted representative wont represent the people that voted !!..

this is a democracy...its how things work :confused:

asprilla Oct 1st 2007 2:10 pm

I don't understand why people who live in regional qld get a bigger say on daylight saving than those living in SE Qld... is there any logic to this at all?

It seems to be pretty farcical that the "premier" can take the results of a poll, commissioned by the courier mail, of only 1,000 people...and categorically state that there will be no daylight saving referendum !!

jad n rich Oct 1st 2007 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by markallwood (Post 5374010)
I don't understand why people who live in regional qld get a bigger say on daylight saving than those living in SE Qld... is there any logic to this at all?

It seems to be pretty farcical that the "premier" can take the results of a poll, commissioned by the courier mail, of only 1,000 people...and categorically state that there will be no daylight saving referendum !!

Pretty disappointed with Bligh, public perception of her was good, a woman :thumbup: young :thumbup: high hopes for a modern queensland..... well they just went out the window.

Yes daylight saving is a difficult decision, the state spans a 20 hour drive from one end to the other, climate varies, split zones was probably the only answer.

The majority of the population live in SE queensland, not outback or up north, a point that seems to have been totally missed, if shes ignoring the SE view shes ignoring a lot of people.

Split zones work elsewhere. Anyway we aint getting it, doomed to brilliant sunshine at 4 am soon - how modern:rofl:

Pollyana Oct 1st 2007 9:27 pm

Part of the reason why it seems so crazy - from my point of view - is that firstly there was going to be a referendum, but now there isn't cos a few newspaper readers have made the decision for everyone else, and secondly that the objections of a large number of Queenslanders are based on the ridiculous notions that it will bring 25 hour days, no milk or eggs and faded furniture. I know - I work with them and I'm related to some of them :eek: Someone yesterday voiced the opinion that if we had daylight saving time we would have to be paid an hours overtime every day.........
If the arguments were put forward logically, and it was rejected by a majority of voters, maybe some of us would accept the decision more peacefully!

>Trigger< Oct 1st 2007 9:30 pm

And the notion that they would have to change all the public transport timetables....:rofl:...thats it i'm voting for the opposition...oh hang on...do we have an opposition?

asprilla Oct 1st 2007 9:42 pm

can someone please inform me of any rational arguments against the change to daylight saving ?

Maybe just one argument that will make me think "hmmm....thats a good point - maybe daylight saving isn't such a good idea" ?

It seems to me that the only reason we are not changing, is because "people in regional queensland don't want to change". Well, I don't think that's a very good argument. It just seems to be a backwards way of thinking.... it is effectively standing in the way of progress.

No doubt the ancestors of those people who are against daylight saving were the ones who never accepted that the world wasn't flat.