British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Biltong stokkies (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/biltong-stokkies-738873/)

eddie007 Nov 14th 2011 10:51 am

Biltong stokkies

I'm bloody addicted to the stuff and its costing me a fortune...

Anyone got a recipe to DIY? I've got one of those dryer things that you can do trays of dried fruit in... Can I use that????

On the packet ingredients it says "spices"

What spices????

Can I quilt one?

Alfresco Nov 14th 2011 10:57 am

Re: Biltong stokkies

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 9731685)

Anyone got a recipe to DIY? I've got one of those dryer things that you can do trays of dried fruit in... Can I use that????

What spices????

Can I quilt one?

Yes, you could use a fruit dryer. You can buy the ready made spices at a S.A. shop.

http://www.africashop.com.au/shop/in...ewCat&catId=45

Will last ages.

Biltong is easy to make. Stokkies will be quicker because the meat is very thinly cut.

eddie007 Nov 14th 2011 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 9731694)
Yes, you could use a fruit dryer. You can buy the ready made spices at a S.A. shop.

Will last ages.

Biltong is easy to make. Stokkies will be quicker because the meat is very thinly cut.

OMG I COULD KISS YOU :wub:

THANKYOU

Sherlock Holmes Nov 14th 2011 11:23 am

What spices????

Can I quilt one?

I thought this was about bongs and stoggies and hence your addiction. My apologies. :D

eddie007 Nov 14th 2011 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes (Post 9731733)
I thought this was about bongs and stoggies and hence your addiction. My apologies. :D

Could that be the cause of my munchies?????

eddie007 Nov 14th 2011 11:33 am

Will last ages.

Buggerit, you're dangerous you are, i've just placed an order... For the pork n apple seasoning and the garlic barbie too... This could end in divorce...

Sherlock Holmes Nov 14th 2011 11:33 am

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 9731744)
Could that be the cause of my munchies?????

Gor luv a duck. I could kill for a munchie. A mint one. They really taste quite posh.

eddie007 Nov 14th 2011 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes (Post 9731746)
Gor luv a duck. I could kill for a munchie. A mint one. They really taste quite posh.

If MIL arrives without a box of After Eights she's on the next flight home... They did do mint munchies didnt they? or have I made that up?

rasen78 Nov 14th 2011 11:59 am

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 9731764)
If MIL arrives without a box of After Eights she's on the next flight home... They did do mint munchies didnt they? or have I made that up?

Yes, and they still do I think.

THE best mint chocolate EVER was called a Pyramint:wub:
http://www.childofthe1980s.com/2008/...rrys-pyramint/

I would save up ALL my pennies for one of these - they were lush

eddie007 Nov 14th 2011 1:41 pm

I have two boys with a serious billtong habit too... I blame myself, I should never exposed them to it... What kind of irresponsible parent am I ffs???:(

Keeping my billtong stash safe and hidden around the house is a constant battle... If its not the boys it tabbyfur and the byford two nicking it and the hounds from hell have been known to KILL for a piece of it...

Any suggestions for a child/animal/husband free place to store it????

Cheetah7 Nov 14th 2011 1:44 pm

I loved the springbok biltong in Africa, I have only seen beef biltong over here.

Where is Amazulu, I bet he has a secret recipe hidden somewhere, come on my little piece of Africa, come to Mumma and lets talk about your biltong.:sneaky:

God that stuff is gorgeous, I could chew on that all day.:wub:

Alfresco Nov 14th 2011 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 9731897)
I have two boys with a serious billtong habit too... I blame myself, I should never exposed them to it... What kind of irresponsible parent am I ffs???:(

Keeping my billtong stash safe and hidden around the house is a constant battle... If its not the boys it tabbyfur and the byford two nicking it and the hounds from hell have been known to KILL for a piece of it...

Any suggestions for a child/animal/husband free place to store it????

You can freeze it or just put it in the fridge in small sealed sandwich bags and then take it out when needed. It doesn't really freeze (density and lack of moisture) and is edible after a few minutes at room temp.

That's where I hide mine from the kids. :thumbup:

Google biltong and how to make etc... Plenty of info available. Hygiene and protection from flies etc... is paramount in the process, like beer making really.

Amazulu Nov 14th 2011 10:33 pm

What spices????

Can I quilt one?

Welcome to the world of biltong - there's no going back now.

It's a $55/kg habit though..........

Amazulu Nov 14th 2011 10:35 pm

I partly disagree - easy to make, but not easy to make well.

Cheetah7 Nov 14th 2011 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 9732839)
Welcome to the world of biltong - there's no going back now.

Do they only do beef biltong in Australia?

Not meaning to be spoilt, but I want Springbok Biltong, we used to chew on that on our day tours and drink it with Windhoek lager. And once you start on a bag of biltong, before you know it you have eaten it all and your mouth has dried out completely.:lol: