Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Bigpond issues - slow/dead in the evening

Bigpond issues - slow/dead in the evening

Old Jul 18th 2009, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bigpond issues - slow/dead in the evening

Anybody else having problems with Bigpond cable being really slow in the evenings in Perth? It often won't even connect in the evenings.

I got a call from Telstra telling me someone else in my street was compalining about their broadband but that I would have to contact Bigpond to find out why. I didn't even think to ask the chap why he was phoning me if he couldn't help - only afterwards did it seem a bit odd to me.

Well I haven't figured out how to speak to a consultant with Bigpond as it has voice recognition software that thinks it is so clever and keeps asking so many questions and then says "OK lets try something else". It is worse than those stupid GPS voices. Our GPS gets us lost and send us up old dirt roads that no longer exist. It is from China so maybe they still have old maps or something?

Emailing Bigpond didn't help either as they want me to virtually take my computer apart to check wether my computer is the problem first.

Is it possible that my street/suburb or even the whole of Perth is using up too much of the cable bandwith in the evenings or something like that? I'm a notive at this stuff so excuse any of the incorrect terminology etc above.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 5:31 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bigpond issues - slow/dead in the evening

Originally Posted by Luma
Anybody else having problems with Bigpond cable being really slow in the evenings in Perth? It often won't even connect in the evenings.

I got a call from Telstra telling me someone else in my street was compalining about their broadband but that I would have to contact Bigpond to find out why. I didn't even think to ask the chap why he was phoning me if he couldn't help - only afterwards did it seem a bit odd to me.

Well I haven't figured out how to speak to a consultant with Bigpond as it has voice recognition software that thinks it is so clever and keeps asking so many questions and then says "OK lets try something else". It is worse than those stupid GPS voices. Our GPS gets us lost and send us up old dirt roads that no longer exist. It is from China so maybe they still have old maps or something?

Emailing Bigpond didn't help either as they want me to virtually take my computer apart to check wether my computer is the problem first.

Is it possible that my street/suburb or even the whole of Perth is using up too much of the cable bandwith in the evenings or something like that? I'm a notive at this stuff so excuse any of the incorrect terminology etc above.
Some believe its the Pharmas trying to use the extra bandwidth to get hold of the aliens. Who have not yet paid for their experimental use of drugs on humans
Old Jul 18th 2009, 5:43 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

You may want to try changing your DNS settings. Don't panic DNS is just like a telephone directory that whenever you type a website into your browser, before your computer goes to the site it has to look it up.

If Bigpond is taking a long time to respond it may be a delay looking up the details. Just look at this website and it will tell you how to use Open DNS instead of Bigponds servers which can be patchy at times.

Its free and you can just go back to your normal settings anytime (just write them down when it tells you to.)

Worth a go. Since I moved to them I have had a noticeable increase in response time to browsing.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 6:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
You may want to try changing your DNS settings. Don't panic DNS is just like a telephone directory that whenever you type a website into your browser, before your computer goes to the site it has to look it up.

If Bigpond is taking a long time to respond it may be a delay looking up the details. Just look at this website and it will tell you how to use Open DNS instead of Bigponds servers which can be patchy at times.

Its free and you can just go back to your normal settings anytime (just write them down when it tells you to.)

Worth a go. Since I moved to them I have had a noticeable increase in response time to browsing.
And in your next post, you'll give the link

JTL
Old Jul 18th 2009, 6:17 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Yeh give us the link. I have the same problem with Bigpond wireless in Orange, NSW. Between 6pm and 9pm its practically useless - drops out, doesnt connect, freezes etc. I have full signal, have no problems with my laptop, firewall or anti virus software and have just about had it to the back teeth with the nice man on the tech support automated help service.

To add insult to injury I just got my Telstra bill and they have charged me $299 plus GST for my "free" modem.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 7:08 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Oh so sorry - I was dashing out the door to walk the dog.

www.opendns.com

Just follow the instructions and don't bother signing up for an account if you don't want to be fiddling around with content filters, adult site blockers and all sorts of things. That said, if you have kids and want to block nasties at a level they won't be able to work around easily its good. And free.

Last edited by Centurion; Jul 18th 2009 at 7:10 am.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Some believe its the Pharmas trying to use the extra bandwidth to get hold of the aliens. Who have not yet paid for their experimental use of drugs on humans
I thought the pharmas were experimenting. I didn't realise it was the aliens. Do they experiment everywhere in Oz or are we special here in the West?
Old Jul 19th 2009, 2:54 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luma
I thought the pharmas were experimenting. I didn't realise it was the aliens. Do they experiment everywhere in Oz or are we special here in the West?
They had to restart after feasibility study of fremantle showed low traces of IQ or culture.