Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

biggest power bill ever!

biggest power bill ever!

Old Mar 23rd 2011, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold
Default biggest power bill ever!

I am completely blown away by my power bill. broad shoulders came round to see ems and I and counselled me on how to get my $600-$800 a quarter bill down. some great ideas about finding out usage etc and helping me choose a solar system (thanks S!).

he told me my bill was in the top 5%.

anyway I just get my new bill and its staggeringly highat $1400! most is day time use despite being out from 7 until 5. Called energy australia - zero help in working out how my usage could have almost doubled but have told me to get appliances checked incase something has broken.

anyone else get anything near this? its mental - I mean I am going to employ lots of third world children to fan me, it'll be cheaper.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 11:39 am
Account Closed

aston is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: biggest power bill ever!

Originally Posted by odyssey
I am completely blown away by my power bill. broad shoulders came round to see ems and I and counselled me on how to get my $600-$800 a quarter bill down. some great ideas about finding out usage etc and helping me choose a solar system (thanks S!).

anyway I just get my new bill and its staggeringly highat $1400! most is day time use despite being out from 7 until 5. Called energy australia - zero help in working out how my usage could have almost doubled but have told me to get appliances checked incase something has broken.

anyone else get anything near this? its mental - I mean I am going to employ lots of third world children to fan me, it'll be cheaper.
are you growin marigawana plants in the loft?

there is no way on earth your bill could be that much,no way..?
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 11:41 am
Account Closed

seriously.is there a building site by you?
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

I know thats what I thought. I mean its crazy. i was traumatised by $800 I had once.

Quiet residential street backing onto a forest one way and a nature walk thing the other way. small house - 4 beds but all 3x3m. one 5 air conditioner. gas stove, never use the oven. pool pump on at night for maybe 2 hours. I do lots of washing/tumble drying but I cant see that that could make that much day time use cause I am out all day.

very pissed off I am obviously doing something or its a faulty appliance. I ahve checked the reading and it does seem to be spinning.

i have booked climatesmart to come round and give me a meter (thanks BS!) but it doesnt add up.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

I did have 5 weeks off work because of the floods, but even then....
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Where do you live? Never had a bill over $200 for the 2 months period in Perth even running the AC all night long over summer. Is someone stealing your power?
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

That is huge.I think that I would go back to candles and washing the clothes at the beach.hope you get it sorted.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 11:51 am
Account Closed

I know thats what I thought. I mean its crazy. i was traumatised by $800 I had once.

Quiet residential street backing onto a forest one way and a nature walk thing the other way. small house - 4 beds but all 3x3m. one 5 air conditioner. gas stove, never use the oven. pool pump on at night for maybe 2 hours. I do lots of washing/tumble drying but I cant see that that could make that much day time use cause I am out all day.

very pissed off I am obviously doing something or its a faulty appliance. I ahve checked the reading and it does seem to be spinning.

i have booked climatesmart to come round and give me a meter (thanks BS!) but it doesnt add up.
weve got two kids who leave the lights on permanently,we run big pumps to the pond,pool..6 split systems...elec cooker..and our biggest has been 350..surely you would be having to run your air con 24.7 to get that kind of bill..

have you got a spa?

a mate and had a building site tap into his water..a dont know if someone could tap into your elec?

Last edited by aston; Mar 23rd 2011 at 11:53 am.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 11:53 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Ours sits at $500 for 2 months.... 5 of us...still think its too much, but CANNOT get it down at all
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine coast. its hot and humid so I do have aircon on when I am home weekend daytimes. fans at night but all the use is daytime use except about $60!

I am rarely home in the day except the flood time and on weekends we tend to be out rather than at home.

Its going to ruin my life now, I can just feel it. my OH already has us living like gollum not allowed to have lights on and limiting showers and moaning if I have a fan on.

i cant see that anyone could steal it really although they did a big road improvement - bet I paid for their development or something

there are 5 of us too - yours seems high too for 2 months. I reckon $500 a quarter is about right for where I need to get to
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 11:56 am
Account Closed

I did have 5 weeks off work because of the floods, but even then....
you need turn off everything one by one until you find out what is eating the elec,if it still going after everything is off you know someone is using the duce..i would be very suspicious if its being used when your out?
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

getting a meter. will post my findings!!
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 12:00 pm
Account Closed

sunshine coast. its hot and humid so I do have aircon on when I am home weekend daytimes. fans at night but all the use is daytime use except about $60!

I am rarely home in the day except the flood time and on weekends we tend to be out rather than at home.

Its going to ruin my life now, I can just feel it. my OH already has us living like gollum not allowed to have lights on and limiting showers and moaning if I have a fan on.

i cant see that anyone could steal it really although they did a big road improvement - bet I paid for their development or something

there are 5 of us too - yours seems high too for 2 months. I reckon $500 a quarter is about right for where I need to get to
500 is still a big un..
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

getting a meter. will post my findings!!
At our local council you can borrow portable meters that tell you how much energy each appliance uses and how much it costs,Would be worth a try.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

it is but from where I'm sitting it seems like a target! Broad shoulders reckoned on 800 a quarter I would need to spend 15k to solar negate it. I'd have to build a house from solar panels to touch this new bill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.