Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Biggest Inspiration?

Biggest Inspiration?

Old Aug 20th 2010, 12:10 pm
The Stars are Underground

Beachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to all
Default Biggest Inspiration?

This question just literally came to me! I'm still thinking myself as I just thought of it!....Who is your biggest inspiration?
They can be family, friends, dead, famous, anybody etc....

And what achievement to date(if any) has your inspiration contributed to you by being inspired by that person/people etc?

Music is probably my biggest inspiration to who I am.

Last edited by Beachband; Aug 20th 2010 at 12:12 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Biggest Inspiration?

Travel. It's absolutely been the best experience of my life ... riding a camel up Mount Sinai in the moonlight...snorkelling at the Great Barrier Reef...washing an elephant in a Thai river...flying over Mount Everest in a 12-seater plane...lighting a prayer candle in the sunset on the Ganges River in Varanasi...being surrounded by 100s of wildebeest migrating across the Serengeti to give birth...shrinking back from a growling tiger in Bandhavgarh National Park in India...clambering to the bottom of one of the great pyramids...I'm lost in memories "The world is a book and those who don't travel read only one page."
Old Aug 20th 2010, 1:54 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Me. I'm my biggest inspiration. Everything I have ever done has been because it's what I wanted to do. I have travelled because I love to see new places and meet new people. I have educated myself because I wanted to know things. I've become healthy and fit because I wanted to feel and look better for me. I have no heroes and wouldn't want to be an inspiration to anyone else.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 4:10 pm
The Stars are Underground

Beachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to all

A couple of fab replies!...didn't expect such diverse informative replies!!
Old Aug 20th 2010, 4:24 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from some close friends, Peter Kay is my inspiration. When I read his first book, I was amazed at how hard he worked and the stuff he did to get to where he is now.

Many people of course do this, but just reading his book and learning more about him, plus being able to enjoy the stuff he has done that he mentioned along the way in his book inspires me to believe I can be who I want to be if I put the hard yards in.

One of my friends is having chemo for breast cancer, she totally inspires me and if I could be half as strong as she is then that would be amazing.

Actually one or two BE members inspire me as well, Glittababe and Tiddlypom - for doing something that they love and making a living out of it.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 4:27 pm
Account Closed

aston is an unknown quantity at this point

me kids.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 4:29 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest inspiration in my life was a manager I worked for many years ago. I left home at 16 and needed a job. I had been working during school hols and on Sundays at a largish hotel in the UK. The manager gave me a job as a kitchen porter. Bit by bit I worked through all the departments and ended up as an assistant manager in the same hotel. The manager was a hands on, jacket off sort of bloke who got the best out of everybody. He was tireless and me being a bit short of confidence etc, looked up to him. He died aged 52 of cancer.

His funeral was held at the cathedral which had a capacity of 1100 people. There was standing room only. So it seems it wasn't just me that was inspired by him.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 5:31 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Nelson Mandela, (my no.1)
Old Aug 20th 2010, 5:35 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Frank Zappa (RIP)
Old Aug 20th 2010, 6:28 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Music does inspire me too, has a big effect on my moods and the right album or song can push me forward when nothing else will.

As far as people go.......Amy Johnson, who inspired me to learn to fly with very little cash, and more recently Susan Travers.
In real life a close friend at school called Neil - died aged only 20, but in a few short years he really taught me how to live, and be myself, and I still get a push sometimes from remembering stuff I learnt from him.

And my best friend now, who keeps me sane, even from a distance, and who inspires me to see the good things in life.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

JoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to all

My Latin teacher, decades ago. He taught me all about the Ancient Romans, which inspired me to learn the language of course, but also it inspired me to read a lot of history, and understand how our society evolved. He taught us all to think clearly and analytically. I will never forget him, nor will I ever lose interest in the language and history of Roman Britain.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 9:30 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I draw inspiration from everywhere, all people, all the time... I suck it in, digest and use, but really, it's all about mindset... You can't make yourself do something you don't want to do. Once you 'get it' ... that's when it all starts clicking with you... that's when the 'universe' starts working with you and you it. You won't get it until you get it.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 10:05 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

My primary school teacher, who left me with a delight in learning how the world works, and how to make up my own mind about things rather than just parroting what the mob says at the moment.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 11:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

My late gran she was my main inspiration, she always came up with stuff when ever i found anything hard. sayings like, nothing is impossible, just find a way around it spring to mind even now.
She always drummed into me to treat people as equals and look for the good in people now matter what the have done to you.
At 60 year old my gran started a youth club as there was nothing for us kids to do in our village. She was still running it when i left home to start nurse training some 20 years later.
She also studyed with the OU and believed you were never too old to learn something new.

Other people who inspired me were my human biology teacher, a chemistry teacher and a sister from the orthopaedic unit when i did voluntary work.
Mandy
Old Aug 21st 2010, 12:24 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

I am inspired by many things but usually those that have overcome adversity to do great things have the most profound affect on me.....usually just ordinary people who deal with the trouble and strife in their lives with such dignity, compassion and selflessness that it makes me feel very humble and like I need to try much harder.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.