Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Better opportunites for your kids ....

Better opportunites for your kids ....

Old Mar 13th 2009, 4:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Better opportunites for your kids ....

You so often see the comment better opportunities ..... doing it for the kids.....

This is quite a eye opener

http://money.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=770909

Was only a day or so ago I was saying our eldest, 4th year apprentice ( 600 applied for those jobs ) will be put off in june due to the recession and how the 15 yrs olds class, they cant find those little part time after school hours jobs, $9 an hour that used to be so plentiful.

Very difficult time for those nearing the end of their education right now.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 4:22 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Better opportunites for your kids ....

Makes a good case for further education really, doesn't it?!
Old Mar 13th 2009, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Makes a good case for further education really, doesn't it?!
I think at the moment graduates will probably be very hard hit too.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 5:16 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I think at the moment graduates will probably be very hard hit too.
It does suck that they can't find part time jobs. Sucks for the kids because they can't earn themselves some spending money, plus the parents who are trying to get them to earn their money and learn a bit of responsibility.

It'll probably make it easier for me to find a babysitter though
Old Mar 13th 2009, 11:26 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

Its not an Australian thing though - in Wales I know my nieces and nephews are all in uni and are struggling to get work this term

Vivienne
Old Mar 13th 2009, 12:19 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It's obviously not easy anywhere at the moment but thinking back to when I was first looking for work, graduates didn't have it any easier than me . I don't think it's a new problem and I don't see how strategies can be put in place to prevent it happening whenever the next recession hits. It's just how it works, just as youngsters have problems getting on the property ladder regardless of where they live.

I think they just believe they are more entitled to get what they want when they want now.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by moneypen20
It's obviously not easy anywhere at the moment but thinking back to when I was first looking for work, graduates didn't have it any easier than me . I don't think it's a new problem and I don't see how strategies can be put in place to prevent it happening whenever the next recession hits. It's just how it works, just as youngsters have problems getting on the property ladder regardless of where they live.

I think they just believe they are more entitled to get what they want when they want now.
Agree with your comments completely Moneypen. It's nothing new and it's something that will occur every time there is a downturn.
I can't see any strategy, other than the Gov't piling money into small business's to keep apprentices and trainees in a job. I had to let my apprentice chef go, due to the union awards making him eligible for 38 hours a week pay whether I could use him or not, coupled with the fact he had to have a qualified chef with him. In a downturn, as much as I wanted to train an apprentice, I couldn't afford him.