Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Best Televisions on sale in Oz

Best Televisions on sale in Oz

Old May 14th 2010, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

Dorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really nice
Smile Best Televisions on sale in Oz

Help!

Can I hopefully get some input on the best TVs on the market at the moment or due for release in a couple of months? Need to buy a new one and would be grateful for experiences as opposed to what looks nice in the shops. I know it is subjective but all help gratefully received!!

Thanks!!
Old May 14th 2010, 6:13 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best Televisions on sale in Oz

Originally Posted by Dorutland
Help!

Can I hopefully get some input on the best TVs on the market at the moment or due for release in a couple of months? Need to buy a new one and would be grateful for experiences as opposed to what looks nice in the shops. I know it is subjective but all help gratefully received!!

Thanks!!
Panasonic VT20 and VT25 due out next month.
Old May 14th 2010, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon 3D TV is the most overhyped piece of crap since Video phones. Are people seriously going to watch TV with special glasses on ? if so how often, and is it worth the extra 400 quid or 1000 bucks to do so.

Whereas when it comes to Holographic imagery, I personally cannot wait.

I have trouble telling the difference now, between a 2,500 dollar 50 inch and a 4000 dollar version.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 14th 2010 at 7:39 am.
Old May 14th 2010, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Sony have a deal on at the moment, buy an eligible model and get a free PS3.

Sony PS3 promo
Old May 14th 2010, 8:19 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I reckon 3D TV is the most overhyped piece of crap since Video phones. Are people seriously going to watch TV with special glasses on ? if so how often, and is it worth the extra 400 quid or 1000 bucks to do so.

Whereas when it comes to Holographic imagery, I personally cannot wait.

I have trouble telling the difference now, between a 2,500 dollar 50 inch and a 4000 dollar version.
I agree but I was having a look at them today. The 3D is actually better than at the cinema and I was quite impressed. Still couldn't see me wearing the glasses though.

Anyway, as far as the Panasonic 3D TVs go, forget about the 3D side. These new TVs come from the Pioneer Kuro tech and will have the best picture since the 9th gen Pioneer Kuros. That's a good enough reason to buy it alone.
Old May 14th 2010, 12:16 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
I agree but I was having a look at them today. The 3D is actually better than at the cinema and I was quite impressed. Still couldn't see me wearing the glasses though.

Anyway, as far as the Panasonic 3D TVs go, forget about the 3D side. These new TVs come from the Pioneer Kuro tech and will have the best picture since the 9th gen Pioneer Kuros. That's a good enough reason to buy it alone.
we have 4-5 remotes that have their backs missing are left all over the house etc - can you imagine the carnage that having 4-5 pairs of "3-d" glasses would cause.

They should laser your eyes so you dont need the glasses. Then it'd take off.
Old May 14th 2010, 12:48 pm
ABCDiamond

Samsung UA55C7000
RRP $4,999 but available for about $3,900

Not great for 3D though.

Old May 14th 2010, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Dorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really nice

Thanks for the info everyone!!
Old May 14th 2010, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

I have an 8G Kuro and if these are as good or better than that I'll be strongly tempted, the 9G has never been equalled for pic quality.

Agree on 3D, seems a complete gimmick.

EDIT: I've been off avforums for a while but the VT20 looks the business. Can anyone suggest a good site to to price comparisons or even a good online AV dealer in Australia, I'm pretty sure the high st guys wouldn't do the best prices?

Last edited by freebo; May 14th 2010 at 10:15 pm.
Old May 14th 2010, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Panasonic VT20 and VT25 due out next month.

Fancy bringing erm out after the WC has started.... I'm in the market for a TV right now LOL !
Old May 14th 2010, 11:26 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by freebo
I have an 8G Kuro and if these are as good or better than that I'll be strongly tempted, the 9G has never been equalled for pic quality.

Agree on 3D, seems a complete gimmick.

EDIT: I've been off avforums for a while but the VT20 looks the business. Can anyone suggest a good site to to price comparisons or even a good online AV dealer in Australia, I'm pretty sure the high st guys wouldn't do the best prices?
The best price that I got for a 50" VT20 yesterday was $2999 from Harvey Norman, pre-sold. The RRP is $3299. It is possible to still pick up a new 50" 9G Kuro if you fancy paying $6999 or 60" $9999.

Haven't had a look at any online stores as online is relatively crap/non-existent in Australia.

Last edited by Deancm; May 14th 2010 at 11:50 pm.
Old May 14th 2010, 11:34 pm
Account Closed

Fancy bringing erm out after the WC has started.... I'm in the market for a TV right now LOL !
Well you would only miss a couple of days...
Old May 14th 2010, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well you would only miss a couple of days...
Hmmm I was just about to ask you that, do you know what day they get released.

14th of June is D day for Aus.

BTW I was going to spend circa 2500 on my setup which includes a PS3 for Play TV .... then add the Boxee box later, you should look at those.

So I'll have to hide the price from the missus LOL

BTW you can get just as good a deal, by buying a TV and PS3 seperately because of all the add ons you have to get if you use the Sony offer. So buying say a Panasonic or Samsung then buying a PS3 package would probably be cheaper than using the Sony deal. IE: A PS3 250 Gig with 5 games and two controllers can be purchased at JB right now for sub 500 bucks. I wouldnt walk out with anything less than a free play TV on top of that plus I wouldnt pay their listed price for any TV I chose.

Boxee box means the end of Foxtel in my house at least.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 14th 2010 at 11:43 pm.
Old May 14th 2010, 11:47 pm
Account Closed

Hmmm I was just about to ask you that, do you know what day they get released.

14th of June is D day for Aus.
Everyone I have been speaking to states around about the 15th or possibly sooner.

BTW I was going to spend circa 2500 on my setup which includes a PS3 for Play TV .... then add the Boxee box later, you should look at those.
I use XBMC as I find as a media centre it works better, altough Boxee is good for social media streaming to TV. Personally I wouldn't bother with a PS3 or other games console anymore. Obsolete tech now. My HTPC media centre does everything a PS3 can do and more.

So I'll have to hide the price from the missus LOL
What she doesn't know won't hurt her.
Old May 14th 2010, 11:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Everyone I have been speaking to states around about the 15th or possibly sooner.

I use XBMC as I find as a media centre it works better, altough Boxee is good for social media streaming to TV. Personally I wouldn't bother with a PS3 or other games console anymore. Obsolete tech now. My HTPC media centre does everything a PS3 can do and more.

What she doesn't know won't hurt her.
Yehp I wanted to go down the XBMC route, however I looked at the Acer Revo with blue ray and at 799 bucks seemed a bit over the top, when I can get the PS3 with two tuners and the Boxee box, which does the same as XBMC almost.

So whats your set up, does it include Blu Ray....

The thing I'm after most is Scratchers for my 2.5 TB's of media files.

The research was seriously making my head hurt, especially when I stumbled across Myth Tv.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 14th 2010 at 11:57 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.