Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Best Televisions on sale in Oz

Best Televisions on sale in Oz

Old May 14th 2010, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Televisions on sale in Oz

Originally Posted by Deancm
Everyone I have been speaking to states around about the 15th or possibly sooner.

I use XBMC as I find as a media centre it works better, altough Boxee is good for social media streaming to TV. Personally I wouldn't bother with a PS3 or other games console anymore. Obsolete tech now. My HTPC media centre does everything a PS3 can do and more.

What she doesn't know won't hurt her.
I was going to go HTPC but instead bought a NAS and run PS3mediaserver on my Mac, transcodes everything including 1080p in realtime and the NAS automatically does all the downloading.

I wouldn't go for a "noisy" Xbox (plus as an ex-Sun guy I'm alergic to Micro$oft)
Old May 15th 2010, 12:11 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Yehp I wanted to go down the XBMC route, however I looked at the Acer Revo with blue ray and at 799 bucks seemed a bit over the top, when I can get the PS3 with two tuners and the Boxee box, which does the same as XBMC almost.

So whats your set up, does it include Blu Ray....

The thing I'm after most is Scratchers for my 2.5 TB's of media files.
I built my own HTPC, that's the only way to do it as you get more bang for your buck, although I still ended up spending a fortune. I went a bit overboard with mine and built a HTPC that also does the gaming side and delivers audiophile 7.1 surround sound. I have XBMC and Boxee on it. I do have a BD drive but use it mainly to rip BD Discs. Personally I think optical media is on the way out.
Old May 15th 2010, 12:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

There you go, therein lies my problem, lots of learning curve, which I dont have time for.

NAS know what it is never seen it.... servers know what they are never used one.... etc etc.... then theres bleeding Myth Tv and Linux... I backed away at that stage.

I'm married and want to stay that way, no way would the wife put up with me tinkering on the main TV for days on end.

I've seen what XBMC can do, and am seriously impressed, but to I have the time to invest, no way.

Hence I backed away to the simple solution of PS3 + Play Tv (two tuners) and the Boxee Box... I assume you guys have seen this > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06PcGuf_mug

How more simple could it be ?
Old May 15th 2010, 12:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by freebo
I was going to go HTPC but instead bought a NAS and run PS3mediaserver on my Mac, transcodes everything including 1080p in realtime and the NAS automatically does all the downloading.

I wouldn't go for a "noisy" Xbox (plus as an ex-Sun guy I'm alergic to Micro$oft)
There's always Linux...
Old May 15th 2010, 12:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

There's always Linux...
OK how much for your system is it for sale.... I dont have time to stuff around learning command lines.

I would consider buying one in all seriousness if there was such a thing as a complete unit with XBMC and MYTH tv onboard. I reckon I spent as least 4 hours this week looking at this stuff and just went around in circles.

I got as far as the Acer Revo, then realised I was two tuners short.
Old May 15th 2010, 12:26 am
Account Closed

There you go, therein lies my problem, lots of learning curve, which I dont have time for.

NAS know what it is never seen it.... servers know what they are never used one.... etc etc.... then theres bleeding Myth Tv and Linux... I backed away at that stage.

I'm married and want to stay that way, no way would the wife put up with me tinkering on the main TV for days on end.

I've seen what XBMC can do, and am seriously impressed, but to I have the time to invest, no way.

Hence I backed away to the simple solution of PS3 + Play Tv (two tuners) and the Boxee Box... I assume you guys have seen this > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06PcGuf_mug

How more simple could it be ?
Boxee's really simple anyway. If you have a PC with a HDMI connection, just download the Boxee software and have a play with it. It's great for social media.
Old May 15th 2010, 12:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boxee's really simple anyway. If you have a PC with a HDMI connection, just download the Boxee software and have a play with it. It's great for social media.
I'm going to run a LAN cable from this computer and router, with the Harddrives to the Boxee box... circa 30 meters..... Thats if the wireless connection isnt up to the job.

It's the scratchers that are the most important factor at this stage. The wife and kids will be well impressed with the information that they bring up. The other factor is they will easily be able to use it.
Old May 15th 2010, 12:35 am
Account Closed

OK how much for your system is it for sale.... I dont have time to stuff around learning command lines.
There's no way i'm selling mine. That would mean I would have to build another!

I would consider buying one in all seriousness if there was such a thing as a complete unit with XBMC and MYTH tv onboard. I reckon I spent as least 4 hours this week looking at this stuff and just went around in circles.

I got as far as the Acer Revo, then realised I was two tuners short.
That's the problem with buying a ready made one, they don't always have everything you want. Build your own and put everything you want in it.
Old May 15th 2010, 12:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There's no way i'm selling mine. That would mean I would have to build another!

That's the problem with buying a ready made one, they don't always have everything you want. Build your own and put everything you want in it.
Now I know why you like being single

Just researching this stuff took it's time, and it really was Myth TV that made me baulk at the project, because if I built one, I would have to have it, You cant have Myth Tv without Linux, and everything was pointing towards Linux.

So a 2nd best ready made, ready to go system will have to do with my time constraints.

I've tried both XBMC and Boxee on my current computer, I really like XBMC but Boxee will do.
Old May 15th 2010, 12:49 am
Account Closed

I'm going to run a LAN cable from this computer and router, with the Harddrives to the Boxee box... circa 30 meters..... Thats if the wireless connection isnt up to the job.

It's the scratchers that are the most important factor at this stage. The wife and kids will be well impressed with the information that they bring up. The other factor is they will easily be able to use it.
When you say scratchers do you mean scraping? Some of the info gained from scraping is excellent and other times it is completely off the mark. I have found using the scrapers in XBMC and Boxee that it can be hit and miss and sometimes turns into a manual effort.
Old May 15th 2010, 1:05 am
Account Closed

Now I know why you like being single
Yeah, women just don't get it!
Old May 15th 2010, 1:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

When you say scratchers do you mean scraping? Some of the info gained from scraping is excellent and other times it is completely off the mark. I have found using the scrapers in XBMC and Boxee that it can be hit and miss and sometimes turns into a manual effort.
Yes scrapers I meant. Just do them as you watch them, although first time browsing could be an effort. I would say whenever I've got the TV to myself I will go through my Library.

The thing that XBMC has that Boxee doesnt is a menu that links movies by actors.... at least I think Boxee doesnt have that.

I would imagine that anyone that sees XBMC in action, would be amazed at what it can do. I was gobsmacked when I first saw it wasnt included with the Xbox 360, then I realised, that Microsoft and others dont want people to be able to have that kind of power over their media.

So I'm going for the Boxee box whilst the going is good.

I'm curious to see whetherI really can link into my Parents SKY UK + account with it, supposedly I should be able to. I know I can get BBC and ITV with it, behind a VPN of course.
Old May 15th 2010, 3:42 am
ABCDiamond

The best price that I got for a 50" VT20 yesterday was $2999 from Harvey Norman, pre-sold. The RRP is $3299.
Good Guys, should, in theory, do it for $2,903, once it is released, based on the fact that they normally give 12% discounts.

As an example of discounts from various online places, I looked at these two:

$2,256.30
Samsung 46inch Full-HD LCD TV (LA46B650) Series 6 RRP $2,599.00 saving 13.2%

$1,299.95
LG 50inch HD Plasma TV - (50PJ650) RRP $1,724.00 saving 24.6%

Old May 15th 2010, 4:30 am
Account Closed

I'm curious to see whetherI really can link into my Parents SKY UK + account with it, supposedly I should be able to. I know I can get BBC and ITV with it, behind a VPN of course.
Should be able to. All you need is a Sky subscription to a UK address.
Old May 15th 2010, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

There's always Linux...
The NAS is running SUSE Linux, but also has a GUI front end, its only used for storage and always-on downloading though.

The PS3 "sees" the media server (which is PS3Mediaserver, a free download for Windows, Linux or OS/X, no compiling, download & run). PS3mediaserver is then configured for a list of folders and converts every media type I've tried, e.g. divx,avi,iso,mp3,mp4 etc into a format the PS3 understands. The only issue is having a powerful enough PC/Mac/Linux box to convert the media in real time, my core2duo 2.4 can do 1080p but only just.

The PS3media thing took about 2 hours to set up, but I do Unix & networking for a job, and have an understanding wife!

Last edited by freebo; May 15th 2010 at 5:03 am.