Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Best Place in Sydney to Take Small Kids

Best Place in Sydney to Take Small Kids

Old Jul 14th 2009, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

Generali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the rough
Default Best Place in Sydney to Take Small Kids

The Best Restaurant in Sydney thread has turned into The Thread They Couldn't Kill so I thought I'd start a similar one for suggestions of places I can take the Generalissimos for fun (either with or without lunch being available). I've got a girl aged 2 (3 in September) and a boy aged 4 (March birthday).

So.......where's good?
Old Jul 14th 2009, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice
Default Re: Best Place in Sydney to Take Small Kids

My niece and nephew love the aquarium at Darling harbour, but they love the little one at Manly just as much. Not as many people and cheaper, but not as good for grown ups.

They also like the fish market
Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Generali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Daydreamer123
My niece and nephew love the aquarium at Darling harbour, but they love the little one at Manly just as much. Not as many people and cheaper, but not as good for grown ups.

They also like the fish market
We got a year's pass to the aquarium and it is great. The kids love the salties there - thankfully they don't want one of their own!

The mini railway in Ryde is a great Saturday afternoon out and pretty cheap BTW.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

Cool, will keep a look out next time we have them!
Old Jul 14th 2009, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Daydreamer123
Cool, will keep a look out next time we have them!
It's only open 1 Saturday pm a month (the 3rd I think???). It's really fun though.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 9:04 am
22B
BE Enthusiast

22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future

These suggestions aren't all actually in Sydney, but are accessible from Sydney.... my lad and I have enjoyed them all over the last 18months (age 1 - 2-and-a-half). In no particular order:-

Taronga Zoo, Sydney
Reptile Park, Somersby
Australian Museum, Sydney
Zig-Zag Railway, Blue Mountains
Bondi-Bronte walk (on a very tight rein!)
Fagan Park, Galston
Winter sandcastles, Northern Beaches
Lollipops, FrenchsForest/CastleHill
Shows at local RSL

Where are you based, Generali?
Old Jul 15th 2009, 10:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Generali
The Best Restaurant in Sydney thread has turned into The Thread They Couldn't Kill so I thought I'd start a similar one for suggestions of places I can take the Generalissimos for fun (either with or without lunch being available). I've got a girl aged 2 (3 in September) and a boy aged 4 (March birthday).

So.......where's good?
Ikea ball room.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 22B
These suggestions aren't all actually in Sydney, but are accessible from Sydney.... my lad and I have enjoyed them all over the last 18months (age 1 - 2-and-a-half). In no particular order:-

Taronga Zoo, Sydney
Reptile Park, Somersby
Australian Museum, Sydney
Zig-Zag Railway, Blue Mountains
Bondi-Bronte walk (on a very tight rein!)
Fagan Park, Galston
Winter sandcastles, Northern Beaches
Lollipops, FrenchsForest/CastleHill
Shows at local RSL

Where are you based, Generali?
The Generalissimos loved the Zig Zag railway - I can definitely recommend that.

I'm in the West although hoping to move to the inner West or perhaps Hills District.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 12:31 am
icd
Just Joined

icd will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Generali

So.......where's good?
For a cheap afternoon try the brilliant and safe kids play park at Balmain Oval - it is a nice ferry ride from CQ to Birchgrove then a short walk up - there is also a shop nearby for ice creams and coffee - take a picnic great views back over the bridge - just teh ferry fare to pay.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 1:02 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

When my son was four and a bit he fell in love with the Sydney Tower and he's knocking eight now and still loves it. They also have a kind of virtual ride thing at the base of the tower but with probably only of interest to kids over four years old. Anyway - go up the tower, take in the views - don't bother with the cafe up there though, because it sucks.

What else. The barracks is great for kids - though again - probably not two and four year olds. They'll give the kids a treasure hunt sheet when you go in and they have to hunt for clues amongst the exhibits. Some great exhibits they are too. There's a even a dress-up box and convict style hammocks you can try out.

The PowerHouse is superb for kids of all ages. Lots of things for the kids to play on, buttons to push, levers to pull. There's also a superb play area at the back and a cafe that serves decent healthy food alongside the usual burgers. Combine a trip there with a ride on the monorail (which passes by the front door) and you're laughing.

In the warmer months the maritime museum operates a 'wet' area in a couple of covered tents outside the main building which is really popular. They also do special programs geared to all the different age groups. Kids aged 2 to 5 can try these.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 4:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Sydney is bloody expensive. was down there with the family earlier this year.

Best tip for kids is to get the $2 sunday tickets that lets you go on the transport and ferries, saves you a fortune.

Grab the one at dusk that goes out to lunar park which is all lit up, then grab one past the opera house, grab one of the old tug boat style ones..... Loads of fun, free sights and would cost ten times that in the week.

We liked the zoo, got tickets cheaper through RACQ, and kids got a biology lesson from the elephants LOL
Old Jul 16th 2009, 12:27 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

In the warmer months the North Sydney Pool's definitely a cheap and amazingly cool place to take kids. Costs a couple of bucks to get in, which gets you access to three pools (indoor one with cool paddling bit for the nippers, the main olympic pool and a paddling pool). Best views from any public pool on the planet, guaranteed. Lots of chairs and loungers round the edge, nice little cafe and mere yards from the ferry terminal. What more can you ask for?

If your kids are too young to do the bridge climb, then the pylon's well worth checking out, though very little ones might struggle a bit with all the steps. Costs about $10 and you get amazing views of the harbour, circular quay, the opera house etc.

Hyde Parks' got a great fountain in the middle that kids will love - great place to eat sandwiches for lunch, loads of benches, little cafe next to the chess tables where you can get a cappuccino. It's just across the road from David Jones which has a superb kids clothes/shops department upstairs.

Botanic Gardens are a great place for a picnic. Check out the fruitbats, wander down to Mrs McQuarie's chair, check out the pyramid.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hutch
In the warmer months the North Sydney Pool's definitely a cheap and amazingly cool place to take kids. Costs a couple of bucks to get in, which gets you access to three pools (indoor one with cool paddling bit for the nippers, the main olympic pool and a paddling pool). Best views from any public pool on the planet, guaranteed. Lots of chairs and loungers round the edge, nice little cafe and mere yards from the ferry terminal. What more can you ask for?
I took the Generalissimos to Aqua, the Restaurant above the main pool there I think. Very nice it was too.