Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Best musical generation?

Wikiposts

Best musical generation?

Old Apr 11th 2010, 12:14 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best musical generation?

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
Was that because he was from ROSS COUNTY
Erm................................

dunno
Old Apr 11th 2010, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by squeezzii
Thrash-check, death-check madchester-check....er...sorry did you say Shoe Glaze??? Would someone care to enlighten me please

lol....bands like-my bloody valentine, lush, ride, slowdrive
wiki- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoegazing

apart from swervedriver who i would never have thought of as shoeglaze, theres not a lot on that list i would rate.

86-96, that took me up to my mid 20`s. and although ive gone back and discovered great music from the 60`s & 70`s theres nothing better than actually been part of a scene from the beginning.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 11:18 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

The best musical generation is now ... you can both listen to the old stuff and enjoy the new.

Yup, new good music ... it does exist but don't be turning that radio dial and expect to find it any time soon.

Internet radio is good and stuff like the Triple J Unearthed iPhone/iPod app is just the ticket to refresh a tired playlist.

Looking back is just one step away from admitting defeat and retiring from life ... for me, not f'kin yet!
Old Apr 11th 2010, 12:50 pm
The Stars are Underground

Beachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to all

Thats a hard question, maybe all of them in some time travelling musical way. The 50's - for some motown, the 60's for The Band, Kinks, the 70's/80's for some cool american metal, UK punk, The Clash, The 80's for some synth haze fuzz action, The Cure and countless others, The 90's for grunge, britpop and Rock, the naughties for retro bands.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 2:43 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachband
Thats a hard question, maybe all of them in some time travelling musical way. The 50's - for some motown, the 60's for The Band, Kinks, the 70's/80's for some cool american metal, UK punk, The Clash, The 80's for some synth haze fuzz action, The Cure and countless others, The 90's for grunge, britpop and Rock, the naughties for retro bands.
Motown wasn't founded until very late 1959 so it's not really 50s. 99.9% of the material (bar the Marvel's early hits) was all released from the 60s onwards
Old Apr 11th 2010, 3:00 pm
The Stars are Underground

Beachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Motown wasn't founded until very late 1959 so it's not really 50s. 99.9% of the material (bar the Marvel's early hits) was all released from the 60s onwards
Ah sure still, maybe blues, Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, and Jazz, John Coltrane added to the lead up of Motown in some way.
I got Motown 50 last week, some savage stuff on there.

Maybe early 90's was the most exiting music wise, then again bias comes into it, since for me that was the time I tapped into what it was all about.
Music is still a discovery, no matter how many times a riff/melody/lyrical meaning is repeated through the musical years, it still remains as the greatest emotion of art.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 4:19 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

1830-1840

Classical romanticism.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 4:23 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
1830-1840

Classical romanticism.
This should right up your street

http://www.rhapsody.com/album/harpsichord-greatest-hits
Old Apr 11th 2010, 4:30 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I prefer Rachmaninoff.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 4:38 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
I prefer Rachmaninoff.
I had heard something along those lines but I could have sworn Bernie said it was something like Keepsjerkinoff.... perhaps I just misheard.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
The best musical generation is now ... you can both listen to the old stuff and enjoy the new.

Yup, new good music ... it does exist but don't be turning that radio dial and expect to find it any time soon.

Internet radio is good and stuff like the Triple J Unearthed iPhone/iPod app is just the ticket to refresh a tired playlist.

Looking back is just one step away from admitting defeat and retiring from life ... for me, not f'kin yet!

F me dead your right !

God I really agree with your last paragraph, always have and I honestly believe it's the secret to my much and now happily self proclaimed youth. If there is one thing I'm spewing I missed out on it's a smoked floored dancing lights massive stonking room in Ibiza listening to these two live. Sadly I reckon I may just be past it... not 100 pct sure though. I'd give it a go in the right circumstances. I really dont like looking back... almost a phobia.

Hows this for someone that can remember Hard days Night being released in the Cinema

The pinnacle of it's Genre....

60's and late 90's together in one song Sasha and John Digweed. To be fair you have to listen to the whole album for the brilliant precisely timed transitions.... as they refer back throughout the whole concept...... From Northern Exposure... in my top 3 albums. Certainly gives me a lift on Night Shift.. I've got over 100 gigs of Music on my Ipod and it covers all aspects.... including Motown, which is a definite highlight for me.

I strongly advise anyone to give this album a go.

Northern Exposure Sasha and John Digweed. Vol 1

Sadly I had to pass on my Cowon D2 to the wife, as it only holds 40 gigs... far superior musically though..... She aint get my Koss Porta Pro's though
'

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Apr 11th 2010 at 4:50 pm.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 8:40 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
I like Jumping Jack Flash, Satisfaction, Paint It Black and The Last Time, but other than that I have always thought they were overrated
Also known, at least in the Manchester area, as Sex in Ashton.