Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Best musical generation?

Wikiposts

Best musical generation?

Old Apr 10th 2010, 9:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best musical generation?

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
If I could choose a ten year period rather than a decade it would be 1966-1976.
I'd agree with that, but with one caveat. I hate motown. Never liked any of their artists.

But Beatles, Kinks, Bowie, Zepplin, Queen, Elton John, yeah that was the ultimate time.

I wasn't even old enough to listen to music at that point, but I still love it now.

JTL
Old Apr 10th 2010, 9:45 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I'd agree with that, but with one caveat. I hate motown. Never liked any of their artists.

But Beatles, Kinks, Bowie, Zepplin, Queen, Elton John, yeah that was the ultimate time.

I wasn't even old enough to listen to music at that point, but I still love it now.

JTL
Not even Papa Was A Rolling Stone or I Heard It Through The Grapevine?
Old Apr 10th 2010, 9:49 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

JTL
My favourites were (as a wee lassie) Blondie, Madness and The Pretenders - Chrissie Hynde was a real sassy rock chic
Old Apr 10th 2010, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
My favourites were (as a wee lassie) Blondie, Madness and The Pretenders - Chrissie Hynde was a real sassy rock chic
Okay, I'll give you Madness, I really liked them. I've forgotten the name of the guy who played the piano, he was their main composer, and I love the mad piano solos on their songs.

JTL
Old Apr 10th 2010, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Not even Papa Was A Rolling Stone or I Heard It Through The Grapevine?
No.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 10:03 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay, I'll give you Madness, I really liked them. I've forgotten the name of the guy who played the piano, he was their main composer, and I love the mad piano solos on their songs.

JTL
Mike Barson.....Shut up!
Old Apr 10th 2010, 10:06 pm

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

JTL
Madness were and still are ace
Old Apr 10th 2010, 10:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kporte
Mike Barson.....Shut up!
No YOU shut up!

JTL
Old Apr 10th 2010, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of

1986-1996

had everything....... thrash metal, death metal, stoner rock, grunge, madchester, acid house, techno, big beat, drun n bass, U.S college rock, post punk, anarcho punk, psy-trance, shoeglaze, brit pop. hip hop, hardcore

sure it wasnt all good, but you could pick your style and have a thriving, often underground scene..............for a teenager what more could you ask for
Old Apr 10th 2010, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I get the feeling everyone is just going to quote the 10 years between when they were 12 and 22.

Am I right?

JTL
Old Apr 10th 2010, 10:30 pm

I get the feeling everyone is just going to quote the 10 years between when they were 12 and 22.

Am I right?

JTL
Nope - when I was 12, it was 1984 ffs
Old Apr 10th 2010, 10:32 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Am I right?

JTL
-12 for me then
Old Apr 10th 2010, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Originally Posted by oz miller man
1986-1996

had everything....... thrash metal, death metal, stoner rock, grunge, madchester, acid house, techno, big beat, drun n bass, U.S college rock, post punk, anarcho punk, psy-trance, shoeglaze, brit pop. hip hop, hardcore

sure it wasnt all good, but you could pick your style and have a thriving, often underground scene..............for a teenager what more could you ask for
Yeah i'd agree, but say probably more centred around the 80's as the most influential decade of music. Whilst the 50s inspired rock and roll, the 60s perfected pop music and the 70s rock music the 80s took it all and turned it on it's head. Two of the biggest music styles were invented during the 80s, well hip hop was technically the late 70s but much of the inspirational music came out during the 80s, and house music with its many offshoots was born out of disco. These two now dominate the music scene globally.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Nope - when I was 12, it was 1984 ffs
The point I was making was you are most passionate about music between the ages of 12 and 22.

So I love the Beatles, Kinks etc, but I was born in 1970. It just so happened we had loads of Beatles and Kinks records in the house.

Actually theres another title for a thread, who is you favourite composer/band. And why ?

JTL
Old Apr 10th 2010, 10:40 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
Yeah i'd agree, but say probably more centred around the 80's as the most influential decade of music. Whilst the 50s inspired rock and roll, the 60s perfected pop music and the 70s rock music the 80s took it all and turned it on it's head. Two of the biggest music styles were invented during the 80s, well hip hop was technically the late 70s but much of the inspirational music came out during the 80s, and house music with its many offshoots was born out of disco. These two now dominate the music scene globally.
The 60's.... This decade had the Beatles and they changed everything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.