Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

BE's not what it used to be...

BE's not what it used to be...

Old Feb 7th 2009, 10:22 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BE's not what it used to be...

Originally Posted by steve`o
thanks for not bothering to even read whats read and just dismissing it

i didnt liken be to a pub what was said was

"We all start somewhere mate and I’m a firm believer the fact that you have to get to know people a bit first before they will interact with you

For example if there were a large crowd of people in a pub would you wade right in to the middle with your opinion and if so what would you expect the reaction to be ??

Or would you start on the outskirts getting to know some of the people first then let them know what you think ???"

the emphasis is on the group it could just as easy be a group of mums waitng outside a school discussing the latest teacher, again if you walk in not knowing anyone shouting out your opnion would it be listened too ?? probably not

get to know people, and they will listen to you is what i`m trying to get across, some people however dont seem to be able to grasp this very simple statement of fact

regards steve
Old Feb 7th 2009, 10:41 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fly Away
I don't think BE has changed much... I am a zillion poster (I like that ) I remember when I first ventured out of immigration, the same negative posters were having the same goes at newbies and the same or maybe similar posters were arguing the same arguments... I do think long term posters underestimate how hurtful they are sometimes. I think a lot of people who could be positive contributors are put off after a post or two, which is a terrible shame.

As a zillion poster it is hard not to get sucked into behaving 'the BE way' as it is easier to behave in the same way as the majority than expose yourself to a back lash. That's how this BE culture is transmitted, it's like a virus...

Personally I have spent less time here recently and have been posting in other places which don't have such aggressive vibes. BE will always be BE and I hope it will always be a place that I can post because I worked hard to win the spurs which allow me to do so... I just hope there are enough newbies brave enough to brazen it out to keep the place going. New members are the life blood of the place and we shouldn't forget it.
Well said flyaway - you hit the nail on the head (for me anyway )
Old Feb 7th 2009, 10:42 pm

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poppie
PP, I can't believe this would be aimed at you. I sincerely hope not as I've always found you to be helpful, especially to newbies
I certainly wouldn't think you are someone who thinks that they're "centre of the universe"!!!???
I do agree with a lot of what the newbies have said. There are some real know all gits on here & if you say something that doesn't quite agree with them, they gang up, and at times (dare I say it ) bully/intimidate people. However, there are some really nice, genuine people who are really helpful! There's also those that are just plain amusing, but I guess that's just my warped sense of humour?
I've just read this thread through & can't believe how childish some of the comments are. BE cannot be likened to a pub......it's the net FFS! It could be likened to a primary school playground at points though! Have a read through
Again, well said
Old Feb 7th 2009, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
I agree with moneypen, wendy, bix, pp ...

theres a song in there somewhere ... ah yes, ''circle of life''. this kind of thread crops up every 6 months or so, has done for years. Gosh guys, we must have crap lives to have been on here for soooooo long

... of course, whoever it is who started the complaining can always do what other members have done on a multitude of occassions in the past, and thats go and start up their own forum

love you all ... thank you, and goodnight!!!

What and leave all you zillion posters stuck in the same loop hole - never!
Old Feb 7th 2009, 11:03 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for not bothering to even read whats read and just dismissing it

i didnt liken be to a pub what was said was

"We all start somewhere mate and I’m a firm believer the fact that you have to get to know people a bit first before they will interact with you

For example if there were a large crowd of people in a pub would you wade right in to the middle with your opinion and if so what would you expect the reaction to be ??

Or would you start on the outskirts getting to know some of the people first then let them know what you think ???"

the emphasis is on the group it could just as easy be a group of mums waitng outside a school discussing the latest teacher, again if you walk in not knowing anyone shouting out your opnion would it be listened too ?? probably not

get to know people, and they will listen to you is what i`m trying to get across, some people however dont seem to be able to grasp this very simple statement of fact

regards steve
One of the main problems with a discussion board is that people read the words rather than understanding the meaning. I find I babble on too long to make sure people will get the correct meaning, when it should probably be that people slow down and read properly before jumping in both guns blazing over nothing However, life ain't perfect and neither are posters/mods/admin/morons etc etc etc
Old Feb 7th 2009, 11:10 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
One of the main problems with a discussion board is that people read the words rather than understanding the meaning. I find I babble on too long to make sure people will get the correct meaning, when it should probably be that people slow down and read properly before jumping in both guns blazing over nothing However, life ain't perfect and neither are posters/mods/admin/morons etc etc etc
somethings clearly wrong here moneypen20
this is the second time this week i have to agree with you
please say its curable
Old Feb 7th 2009, 11:11 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
That's all a bit sensible for you Pen, and late on a Sat'day night too!

I agree with ALL of what you have said. Especially the bit about Dorothy who is the loviest woman I've had the privilege to meet.

And thanks for the disclaimer, just one thing can you make it a tad funnier next time
Cheque's in the mail, Wendy.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 11:18 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

somethings clearly wrong here moneypen20
this is the second time this week i have to agree with you
please say its curable
the world is standing on it's head
Old Feb 7th 2009, 11:39 pm

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

re: dorothy. I dont know her personally but I sure like her dog. anyone with one that looks like that can't be even a little evil.

Vivienne
Old Feb 8th 2009, 12:17 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
There seems to be a lot more conflict and aggressively disparate tones on BE than there used to be in 'days gone by'.

What's going on?

Comments/suggestions/ideas anyone?
Perhaps it depends on your state of mind at the time?
I pop in every now and then and ave a look about and it`s like groundhog day!
No shortage of Lovers/Haters/Stirrers/Biters/Flamers/Trolls/New Posters/Old posters/For Brigade/Against Brigade.
For me it`s all the same, only some of the names have changed
Old Feb 8th 2009, 12:23 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

BE is definitely still the same. How do I know that? .......... because a thread like this is started approx every 6 months or so, and has done so since the sites inception almost 10 years ago

So it's all swing and roundabouts really..... with the odd see-saw thrown in.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 12:25 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
BE is definitely still the same. How do I know that? .......... because a thread like this is started approx every 6 months or so, and has done so since the sites inception almost 10 years ago

So it's all swing and roundabouts really..... with the odd see-saw thrown in.
what would you know?
Old Feb 8th 2009, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

speissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dorothy
This is the one that really pisses me off. This is the Australia section, so if you're not Australian or married to an Aussie should you be here? Should I be banned now? I'm non-British and so is my husband.

A history lesson for those of you who feel this forum should only be frequented by Brits...The site was started BY a British couple not necessarily FOR British people. The site welcomes posters from all over the world.
Thank you, Dorothy! Your response has been a relief. I'm not easily getting offended on internet forums, but postings like the one you've objected to, do trigger my dismay.
I'm one of the non-Brits registered on BE and it's been a wealth of information for me at the time of migrating to Oz almost 5 years ago.

I'm usually not actively engaging in forum threads for the very reasons stated by others in this post.
But I really felt I had to thank you for setting the record straight then on behalf of us non-Brits!

Cheers, Sonja
Old Feb 8th 2009, 2:05 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

I was using online chat boards in the days when most people thought the internet was somewhere you put fish. These boards are all the same the World over. Sometimes good, sometimes bad... but never really that different from day to day.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 2:09 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I was using online chat boards in the days when most people thought the internet was somewhere you put fish. These boards are all the same the World over. Sometimes good, sometimes bad... but never really that different from day to day.
Ditto. And totally agree.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.