Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

bereavement, How do i tell my son?

bereavement, How do i tell my son?

Old Feb 12th 2008, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute
Default bereavement, How do i tell my son?

Hi all, I recieved what must be every expats worst nightmare last night.
That dreaded phone call from England telling them that a loved one has died.

In my case its the lady my son knew as his grandma, not strictly his grandma but to him its irrelevant.

How do I tell him?

Jazzys
Old Feb 12th 2008, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

flowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to all
Default Re: bereavement, How do i tell my son?

Sorry to hear your news Jazzys, Yeah its hard to tell a child a loved one has past, the best thing is to sit them down and just tell them that they have passed away, and just answer any Qs they have as kindly as you can, and just be there for their upset, Good luck mate its not the nicest job in the world just be strong for you and your boy.
Sending you hugs

Amanda
Old Feb 12th 2008, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks amanda, not sure if its better or worse that we're on the other side of the planet.

Jazzys
Old Feb 12th 2008, 4:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jazzys
Hi all, I recieved what must be every expats worst nightmare last night.
That dreaded phone call from England telling them that a loved one has died.

In my case its the lady my son knew as his grandma, not strictly his grandma but to him its irrelevant.

How do I tell him?

Jazzys

How olds your son, depends on age, maturity, personality, had to tell ours this news when youngest was 7 and again, albiet a much less close person last year. Were a very open honest family, used the correct terms, explained the illness without being too graphic. Easier with the teenage ones they were kinda prepared for it, took it with that teenage kind of resiliance and a rather cutting comment about 'moving ta other side of world'.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

flowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to all

From what you ve said Jazzys hes a gutsy kid, moving to the other side of the world with you, he ll take it in his stride, your a top Dad I know you can handel this.

Hugs again Amanda
Old Feb 12th 2008, 4:48 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flowergal
From what you ve said Jazzys hes a gutsy kid, moving to the other side of the world with you, he ll take it in his stride, your a top Dad I know you can handel this.

Hugs again Amanda
good advice this and something like what i would have said.

its a hard one Jazzy
Old Feb 12th 2008, 4:54 am
Just Joined

camel1 is an unknown quantity at this point

its a hard one. my kids (6 and 10) gran died last year. i just had to be straight with them and told them outright, lots of tears etc. but to be honest kids bounce back very quickly. my husband was in scotland at the time so was just left to me, good luck with it, i dont envy u one bit

el
Old Feb 12th 2008, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

I've just told him, he's OK. Sad obviously and he'll probably have a few tears at bed time. He's 12 by the way.

I didn't think it would do him any good to prepare him for a few days telling him she was getting worse and worse and eventually telling him she had died.

We are gunna make a sympathy card this afternoon and send it off to his mam and sister who are very upset.

We are gunna colour it in all bright colours with birds and flowers and sunshine on it.

Thanks for the advice.

Jazzys
Old Feb 12th 2008, 6:30 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by camel1
its a hard one. my kids (6 and 10) gran died last year. i just had to be straight with them and told them outright, lots of tears etc. but to be honest kids bounce back very quickly. my husband was in scotland at the time so was just left to me, good luck with it, i dont envy u one bit

el
more good advice, but you were too late
Old Feb 12th 2008, 6:31 am
Master of verbal pish©

Originally Posted by jazzys
I've just told him, he's OK. Sad obviously and he'll probably have a few tears at bed time. He's 12 by the way.

I didn't think it would do him any good to prepare him for a few days telling him she was getting worse and worse and eventually telling him she had died.

We are gunna make a sympathy card this afternoon and send it off to his mam and sister who are very upset.

We are gunna colour it in all bright colours with birds and flowers and sunshine on it.

Thanks for the advice.

Jazzys
best just kep him busy for the next few day so he doesnt dwell on it
Old Feb 12th 2008, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

My pals had a brand new hummer delivered today. I have a feeling that will take his mind off it.

Thanks for all the help guys

Jazzys
Old Feb 12th 2008, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

That will do the trick !!!!

Glad he took it well, just keep an eye on him for a few days, he ll be fine with you to look out for him .

Amanda
Old Feb 12th 2008, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

That will do the trick !!!!

Glad he took it well, just keep an eye on him for a few days, he ll be fine with you to look out for him .

Amanda
I know he'll be fine now. I was worried about how he might take it but we gave each other a hug and he patted me on the back as if to say "its OK dad, I'm here if you need me" and then he told me he'd scored in basketball this afternoon at school.

He's my hero, what a top top kid.

Jazzys
Old Feb 12th 2008, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Just like his top Dad
Old Feb 12th 2008, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Just like his top Dad
Thanks Flowergal, so kind.
All was fine until we jumped in the car to go and see my mates new Hummer.
See new thread entitled "My god them huntsmans are fast"

Jazzys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.