Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Benefits Street on 4oD

Wikiposts

Benefits Street on 4oD

Old Jan 26th 2014, 10:06 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Benefits Street on 4oD

Originally Posted by paulry
That seems to trivialise it. I don't know your story but maybe it was trivial for you and you were lucky enough to be able to do it just on a whim.

Our situation was a little different to that. We'd often thought that we'd one day like to move to Australia but there was no strong driving force to do so and in any case I wasn't qualified enough to apply. But after two terms of Labour rule and into a third, the area in which we lived had changed drastically and irreversibly for the worse, the country was overspending and we could see the metaphorical train crash coming. Then there was the EU - whether we liked it or not, and the not very democratic future that it promises. So given the state of play, my wife and I decided to put the work in to enable us to take our family away from it and move to Australia. It was quite a mission to qualify for our visas (I had to study part time in the evenings for nearly 4 years to get the degree we needed) and it wasn't an easy move but now that we've settled we have no regrets at all. It was the best thing we could ever have done
A bit flippant maybe
I came out with the wife & 2 kids for a couple of reasons:
My dad had always had an ambition to sail the world. He was lucky enough to retire at 56 & do just that. When he got to NZ he came back to the U.K for a couple of months & before we knew it our 9yr old son had talked his way into a trip of a lifetime back there & the rest of Australasia for 2 yrs.
We came out in 2002 to pick him up after his epic voyage & he didn't want to come home. At the same time my dad was diagnosed with prostrate cancer & elected to stay in Australia to live out his days in the warm.
A no brainer really a child that hated the thought of going back to the U.K & a sick parent made us realise that maybe we should apply for a visa and spend some time with my dad. He'd been away for much of the previous decade.
His insistence on my getting a trade made it easy & we were back within 12 months. I don't think we thought about it for more than a couple of weeks. It just seemed the right thing to do.
Skip forward 11 years & my folks are back in the U.K dad fully recovered from one cancer only to get another more serious one. My son & daughter in law over in W.A. Him in the navy, her a stay home mum to our granddaughter. Our daughter & her partner & two girls just an hour down the road.
It would seem our lives are over here at the moment, though with the recent death of Deb's brother, our hearts are over in the U.K. His funeral takes place an hour from now it's been a long & difficult 3 weeks since he passed. Today will bring some closure to that & we can move on.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 10:20 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
A bit flippant maybe
I came out with the wife & 2 kids for a couple of reasons:
My dad had always had an ambition to sail the world. He was lucky enough to retire at 56 & do just that. When he got to NZ he came back to the U.K for a couple of months & before we knew it our 9yr old son had talked his way into a trip of a lifetime back there & the rest of Australasia for 2 yrs.
We came out in 2002 to pick him up after his epic voyage & he didn't want to come home. At the same time my dad was diagnosed with prostrate cancer & elected to stay in Australia to live out his days in the warm.
A no brainer really a child that hated the thought of going back to the U.K & a sick parent made us realise that maybe we should apply for a visa and spend some time with my dad. He'd been away for much of the previous decade.
His insistence on my getting a trade made it easy & we were back within 12 months. I don't think we thought about it for more than a couple of weeks. It just seemed the right thing to do.
Skip forward 11 years & my folks are back in the U.K dad fully recovered from one cancer only to get another more serious one. My son & daughter in law over in W.A. Him in the navy, her a stay home mum to our granddaughter. Our daughter & her partner & two girls just an hour down the road.
It would seem our lives are over here at the moment, though with the recent death of Deb's brother, our hearts are over in the U.K. His funeral takes place an hour from now it's been a long & difficult 3 weeks since he passed. Today will bring some closure to that & we can move on.
That's a very unique set of circumstances that brought you and your family to Australia but it looks like it's worked out well for you too.

My thoughts are with you and your family this evening. I hope you are all coping okay.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'll find it's not so different over here. Sure the sun shines & there are nice beaches. That's nice for holiday though not conducive to long a term commitment like migrating. Sun & sand don't pay mortgages & before Badge jumps in, neither do dolphins!
You were taken to task because, as any perspective migrant does, you need to justify your move. Running down the country you're leaving is one way of doing that. I've just come back from 7 weeks in Cleethorpes, well just outside. All the lads I grew up with have good jobs, nice homes & their kids have done very well employment wise. The town I left 11 years ago has changed quite a bit, it wasn't as bad as I'd been led to believe though. Sure the demographics have changed somewhat. There are Poles, Afghans & many other nationalities in the shopping centre now & it's common to hear foreign tongues. Rather like Australia in many ways, it's become more culturally diverse. Refreshing in some ways particularly cuisine wise lol.
I was very happy living there before we came out here, I could be just as happy if we chose to return. Calling the country a 'cesspit of a mess' won't endear you to many of us who were quite content living there. Especially when you realise that no matter what the country it's the same sh!t, just a different bucket!

Hi Cresta

I'm not coming to Australia hoping it's going to be better than the UK. I'm coming because I'm just ready for a change to be honest, an adventure even.

I have known for a long time I would try Australia, it was just a matter of when. We have sort of been pushed into going this year as our Visa will run out on us if we don't make the move. So this year it is!
I also know after five years, ( if I last that long) I'll probably want to try somewhere else. I love traveling and normally get itchy/ feet after five years. So I may end up back in Britain or elsewhere. Who knows.

I know it must be hard for other people to see me write what I have about our country, but I'm only sharing my experiences. I go to a lot of poverty stricken areas and I was just sharing my views. I know not everyone agrees, but what can I say, I know what I have experienced and seen and that's that.

I know Cleethorpes well, spent many a happy day there with my family when I was a child. They have an excellent chippy on the main street. I haven't been for a few years so not sure if it's still there.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Right guys I'm bowing out of this thread, I feel like a broken record and it's just getting a bit repetitive for me!

Have fun!
Old Jan 27th 2014, 5:35 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'll find it's not so different over here. Sure the sun shines & there are nice beaches. That's nice for holiday though not conducive to long a term commitment like migrating. Sun & sand don't pay mortgages & before Badge jumps in, neither do dolphins!
You were taken to task because, as any perspective migrant does, you need to justify your move. Running down the country you're leaving is one way of doing that. I've just come back from 7 weeks in Cleethorpes, well just outside. All the lads I grew up with have good jobs, nice homes & their kids have done very well employment wise. The town I left 11 years ago has changed quite a bit, it wasn't as bad as I'd been led to believe though. Sure the demographics have changed somewhat. There are Poles, Afghans & many other nationalities in the shopping centre now & it's common to hear foreign tongues. Rather like Australia in many ways, it's become more culturally diverse. Refreshing in some ways particularly cuisine wise lol.
I was very happy living there before we came out here, I could be just as happy if we chose to return. Calling the country a 'cesspit of a mess' won't endear you to many of us who were quite content living there. Especially when you realise that no matter what the country it's the same sh!t, just a different bucket!
Very and spot on.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 8:09 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
Right guys I'm bowing out of this thread, I feel like a broken record and it's just getting a bit repetitive for me!

Have fun!
Wait! You haven't said anything about that bunch on James Whatshisname Street yet...
Old Jan 27th 2014, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, everyone's life stories are different which lead to one persons perception of a country being different to another's while both can be equally valid. My view of Australia is very Canberra-centric but I'm acutely aware that it's not at all representative of Australia as a whole. Likewise with Chris's little English paradise.

Whether we admit it or not, politics frequently plays a large role in emigrating, and because Western politics is largely confrontational right versus left politics , a left driven transformation of a country will alienate the right enough to make them want to move, likewise the opposite. And especially true if it's a permanent transformation such as those inflicted by the Thatcher and Blair/Brown eras. But maybe you see that as bollocks because it played no role in your emigration story?
As a matter of fact, my only whinge was high Uk house prices.
I think I might have had a whinge about the corporate life my life in the Uk was turning into...and at the time, Australia offered something different....my generation struggled with the rapid increases in the 2000s...

Moving to Melbourne was partly mercenary.
But I felt exhausted after 10 years and I saw a move as a means to settle down.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by renth
Yup, when you pay people not to work then why work?
Because like me you could end up in a nice big 4 bed house in Richmond Upon Thames with a large garden and 2 holidays abroad each year 1 to Brazil and 1 to Australia. Unemployed people don't get that.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 6:09 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isgraham
Because like me you could end up in a nice big 4 bed house in Richmond Upon Thames with a large garden and 2 holidays abroad each year 1 to Brazil and 1 to Australia. Unemployed people don't get that.
I'm sure I've read in the daily mail that they do!
Old Jan 27th 2014, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

berserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of light

this story only makes me agree with the work-for-dole plans of PM Tory Abbottoir.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 11:05 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by berserk
this story only makes me agree with the work-for-dole plans of PM Tory Abbottoir.
Work for dole is a bad idea

Better to have proof that people are actively searching for and willing to accept offers of work.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 12:30 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Work for dole is a bad idea

Better to have proof that people are actively searching for and willing to accept offers of work.
It's a very bad idea! No matter what safeguards are put in place the poorest paid in society end up shafted. Workers on minimum wage struggling end up out of work as greedy employers see a chance to get more staff for free. The low paid worker finds themselves on the dole then finds themselves re-employed doing the same job, this time for a dole payment.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 12:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

"Reality TV" is not real. An illusion. Images on a screen, made by a TV company with the aim of selling advertising.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Wait! You haven't said anything about that bunch on James Whatshisname Street yet...
Very funny!

I'm sure there will be another thread I could chip into at some point and upset everybody in it!

But for now Molly is on her best behaviour.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 8:06 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
Very funny!

I'm sure there will be another thread I could chip into at some point and upset everybody in it!

But for now Molly is on her best behaviour.
Come on! Where's your Celtic fighting spirit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.