Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Ben Elton too clever for Australians?

Ben Elton too clever for Australians?

Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:48 pm
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ben Elton too clever for Australians?

He's just not funny doing stand up, and all this 'we' and 'us Australians' bullplop makes me wanna punch him. He's done what most successful comics/musicians do when they lose their touch, come to Australia and proclaim it to be the best country in the world, nobs
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:49 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Who's been 'bumped off' in UK politics then... and I don't mean some 'fantasy island' assumption that people were 'taken out' to silence them?

.... and what has Berlusconi got to do with it?
John Stalker didn't get far enough to tell us.

Wol's original premise, to which I was replying, was "There's more incompetence, corruption and misinformation here than the rest of the world put together!"

Berlusconi represents just a small part of the rest of the world but single-handedly blows that premise to pieces. That's what Berlusconi has got to do with it.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:50 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish
He's just not funny doing stand up, and all this 'we' and 'us Australians' bullplop makes me wanna punch him. He's done what most successful comics/musicians do when they lose their touch, come to Australia and proclaim it to be the best country in the world, nobs
I noticed that. It didn't sound natural coming from him.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
You HAVE to be joking, no?

There's more incompetence, corruption and misinformation here than the rest of the world put together!

(And yes, a slight exaggeration - but not much!)
It is a exaggeration, and it's actually not very clever. It's a bit like people saying the whole of Australia is a third-world country when they have never visited or lived in parts of the Americas, Asia or Africa.

If you are grumbing about state or Federal politics then you are entitled to your grumbles. But some of these people in politics are as smart as you are.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:37 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Admittedly I don't know as much about the other states' politicians as those in NSW (and I suspect people in WA have little idea about the NSW lot) but the level of incompetence and malpractice in NSW is breathtaking. Nothing, BTW, to do with cleverness - quite often the clever people are the ones who milk the system - and get away with it.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:49 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wol
Admittedly I don't know as much about the other states' politicians as those in NSW (and I suspect people in WA have little idea about the NSW lot) but the level of incompetence and malpractice in NSW is breathtaking. Nothing, BTW, to do with cleverness - quite often the clever people are the ones who milk the system - and get away with it.
My local council was sacked in 2008 as it was considered so dysfunctional that an administrator could only be an improvement. My next closest, Wollongong, was sacked because of systemic corruption. My State parliament, seems to be full of thieves, crooks and dodgy characters. I can only base my view of Aussie politics on what I've seen around me... and it's not good. !
Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:52 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Keneally is worth a punch though
Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

Leo Sayer springs to mind!
Old Feb 15th 2011, 1:11 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

My local council was sacked in 2008 as it was considered so dysfunctional that an administrator could only be an improvement. My next closest, Wollongong, was sacked because of systemic corruption. My State parliament, seems to be full of thieves, crooks and dodgy characters. I can only base my view of Aussie politics on what I've seen around me... and it's not good. !
I'm glad it's not just me <g>.

Whether the "other lot" will be much better who knows?
Old Feb 15th 2011, 1:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

And it doesn't sound good. But it's not the worst in the world. In other countries people are gunned down on a daily basis due to involvement in the machinations of their countries. (I'm talking corruption and stuff in general, not just politics) I don't think NSW is as quite as bad as that. It's the stuff of tittle-tattle tabloid.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 1:20 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
And it doesn't sound good. But it's not the worst in the world. In other countries people are gunned down on a daily basis due to involvement in the machinations of their countries. (I'm talking corruption and stuff in general, not just politics) I don't think NSW is as quite as bad as that. It's the stuff of tittle-tattle tabloid.
Rubbish.

In comparison with developed countries, not taking my previous comments literally, NSW stinks. No point in boring people here with page after page of the waste of money, incompetence etc etc - just ask almost anyone who lives here and has taken the slightest interest over the past few years.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 2:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

But he has been married to an Aussie girl for a very long time and has spent a lot of time here so I guess he can claim to be an aussie too.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 3:52 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Originally Posted by Wol
I know it could be a case of "there but for the grace of god, go I (or goes Victoria)" but I too find the politics of NSW breathtaking.

It's one of the reasons I oppose centralisation.

Last edited by Rambi; Feb 15th 2011 at 3:55 am.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 6:17 am
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kim67
But he has been married to an Aussie girl for a very long time and has spent a lot of time here so I guess he can claim to be an aussie too.
He never mentioned it when doing stand up in the UK, would have thought he'd have kept his shitness at standup quiet here, he'll have to move to the states next
Old Feb 15th 2011, 6:26 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

He never mentioned it when doing stand up in the UK, would have thought he'd have kept his shitness at standup quiet here, he'll have to move to the states next
Australia, where entertainment has-beens and never-had-its go to seed ... is Leo Sayer still around?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.