Being Welsh

Old Oct 12th 2008, 12:02 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Being Welsh

I've just thought of a great way to save some poms (some of the ones that come and go) a whole bunch of money.

To get some experience of what it might be like being an pom in Aus you could spend a month (say) pretending to be Welsh in England. If you don't like the way you get treated as a Welsh peep in England then I think you should give Aussie a miss and save your money.

To practice your Welsh accent you could frequent the local curry house and try imitating the waiter, clear your throat all the time and stick "like" or "isn't it" on the end of everything. When writing anything, try sticking random letters into words ('l's and 'd's usually work). Go into work wearing a daffodil. You don't have to wait for St David's day to do this; most English peeps don't know when St George's day is let alone St David's.

Tell us how you get on, like?
Old Oct 12th 2008, 1:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Being Welsh

Is there a point to this?
Old Oct 12th 2008, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Letspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I've just thought of a great way to save some poms (some of the ones that come and go) a whole bunch of money.

To get some experience of what it might be like being an pom in Aus you could spend a month (say) pretending to be Welsh in England. If you don't like the way you get treated as a Welsh peep in England then I think you should give Aussie a miss and save your money.

To practice your Welsh accent you could frequent the local curry house and try imitating the waiter, clear your throat all the time and stick "like" or "isn't it" on the end of everything. When writing anything, try sticking random letters into words ('l's and 'd's usually work). Go into work wearing a daffodil. You don't have to wait for St David's day to do this; most English peeps don't know when St George's day is let alone St David's.

Tell us how you get on, like?

More. what about calling everyone Butt!!
Old Oct 12th 2008, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, I've just spent 20 years being English in Wales.... does that qualify for your scheme????
Old Oct 12th 2008, 9:39 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Or Daffyd, is it!
Old Oct 12th 2008, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Whose coat is that jacket???
Old Oct 12th 2008, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Fly Away
LOL, I've just spent 20 years being English in Wales.... does that qualify for your scheme????
Probably. I should imagine it works both ways.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Probably. I should imagine it works both ways.
I have had moments of complete incomprehension. the most noatable being when I worked for a local council and a man came in to report that there was something wrong with his 'shooting'. It took me a while to work out he meant his chuting, ie his guttering.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

Letspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant future

Oh and dont forget these other priceless examples of being Welsh.

"Give us a cwtch"
"Now in a minute"
"Duw Duw mon"

Oh and " I like the one with the little black nose, the one thats looking at me longingly"
Old Oct 13th 2008, 7:16 am
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Er... I grew up in North Wales, went to college near London and have lived and worked in England ever since. Can't say I've ever noticed anything even slightly anti-Welsh, unless the occasional tired old sheep joke counts. Scousers get more stick than the Welsh do round here (in Manchester)!

Also, not to be too pedantic, your "Welsh" phrases are all South Welsh. Nobody from North Wales would say "look you"... mind you, nobody from South Wales would apart from Max Boyce.

Oh God, I can't believe I remember Max Boyce... now I'm really old.

Cheers
b
Old Oct 13th 2008, 10:43 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by benlast
Er... I grew up in North Wales, went to college near London and have lived and worked in England ever since. Can't say I've ever noticed anything even slightly anti-Welsh, unless the occasional tired old sheep joke counts. Scousers get more stick than the Welsh do round here (in Manchester)!

Also, not to be too pedantic, your "Welsh" phrases are all South Welsh. Nobody from North Wales would say "look you"... mind you, nobody from South Wales would apart from Max Boyce.

Oh God, I can't believe I remember Max Boyce... now I'm really old.

Cheers
b
I must admit I've only been up north a couple of times and where I went they all sounded like scousers

I've not heard any people who say "look you" either. Boyo is another one you don't hear, it's usually "butt".

I don't think I was suggesting the English were, as a rule, anti-Welsh; just that you have to put up with a bit of a ribbing when you live in "foreign" climes.

The thread was just a bit of fun. No offense was intended
Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

TrentEnd will become famous soon enough

A more realistic thread would have been to comment on the surge in anti-English feeling in Wales, especially relating to those who own property there. Be honest....
Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by TrentEnd
A more realistic thread would have been to comment on the surge in anti-English feeling in Wales, especially relating to those who own property there. Be honest....
Total rubbish. As an English person (or rather a person with an English accent - I have a Welsh grandmother) I have lived in Wales for 20 years and never heard one comment about this. In fact, apart from gentle ribbing about the accent, there has never been one problem stemming from being English. The cottage burning was a 1970's phenononem. (sp?)

In fact, the people of the South Wales Coast are bemoaning the fact that the English middle Classes are currently not looking to buy second homes as it is having a knock on effect in the local economy.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrentEnd
I blame Anne Robinson:

She described the Welsh as “irritating and annoying”, asking provocatively: “What are they for?” After permitting a repeat of that programme, the director-general of the BBC became the target of an investigation under the Race Relations Act.
JTL
Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

For practicing a Welsh accent, try "Ian Beale" and "Ratatouille".

Also try, "See those 2 houses ? Mine's the one in the middle."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.