British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Which beer is the best to have when the sun is shining? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/beer-best-have-when-sun-shining-717900/)

eddie007 May 21st 2011 3:57 pm

Re: Which beer is the best to have when the sun is shining?

Ummm could you please clarify... Like e Sun is shining today, but its cold as.... Or the sun is shining and its 45 degrees???

Actually, dont bother.....

Wet and alcoholic... Thats the best kind...

Or most things Little Creatures

DeadVim May 21st 2011 4:23 pm

+1 for the James Squire stuff.

Having said that I am not a big daytime drinker and if it's really hot I'll just stick to the water.

Heat + Humidity + Beer = Dehydration + Headache for me.

Rambi May 21st 2011 6:31 pm

Just to add some info for the Pear Ciders. Monteiths does a good one. Bulmers' one is rubbish.

aries May 21st 2011 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9379376)
Crown isn't bad, there are plenty worse! I'm convinced that most Aussies keep their beer ice-cold so they don't actually taste it when they drink it!! :sneaky:

I think they taste it when it comes back up . . . :rolleyes:

BenandPam May 21st 2011 7:24 pm

Monteith's Summer Ale which doesn't taste like any other beer, in fact it reminds me more of ginger beer, which is nice :D. When we were in the UK last year I enjoyed a few Crabbies Alcholic Ginger Beers. Haven't seen them here yet. I think Bundaberg ginger beer, vodka and lime would also make a nice sunny day drink, or a pint of Guiness with a shot of port.

nevster May 21st 2011 8:12 pm

+ 1 for Little Creatures. Their pale ale is superb, even when the weathers cold!

Not that easy to get in the UK, so for easy access Peroni or Moretti would be good alternatives. Nice crisp beers for when it's hot.

papilon May 21st 2011 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Rambi (Post 9379676)
I usually go for Cider on really hot days.

Been trying Rekorderlig Pear Cider recently. Expensive stuff but v.nice :thumbup:

They were selling that for $14 a bottle in a Melbourne CBD the other week, i scanned the bar and plenty of people were drinking it. I guess the the old adage a fool and his money......

Alfresco May 21st 2011 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 9379716)
Will have to try that. :cool: Stoney Alcoholic Ginger Beer is also very thirst quenching :beer:

Where do you find that?

"Stoney, Stoney, the one and only... Stronger than the strongest thirst."

I've done some home brew ginger beer. :thumbup:

Rambi May 21st 2011 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by papilon (Post 9380187)
They were selling that for $14 a bottle in a Melbourne CBD the other week, i scanned the bar and plenty of people were drinking it. I guess the the old adage a fool and his money......

Funny you should say that, someone told me that a couple of days ago. They also did tell me how many were sold but I think I filed it under useless info I'll never use but I remember it was an impressive number. :thumbup:

(They were $6.50 in the local offy. Apparently I could get them for $6 even in Dan Murphys but I'm not sure the saving would have covered the extra petrol.)

paulry May 21st 2011 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 9380192)
Where do you find that?

"Stoney, Stoney, the one and only... Stronger than the strongest thirst."

I've done some home brew ginger beer. :thumbup:

It's at our local bottle store. The Stoney brand also confused me but it's made here.

Home brewing is very popular here. Some Aussie friends that we visited last weekend have devoted half a garage to the activity :cool:

Pollyana May 21st 2011 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by papilon (Post 9380187)

Local bottle shop is selling it, about $70 a box, absolutely beautiful stuff, especially the strawberry and lime one. Couldn't drink it all the time, but its a lovely drink to sit back and really enjoy :wub:
Had some in a bar back in London too - certainly couldn't do a whole night out on it!

Melbourne bound Mark May 21st 2011 10:46 pm

Knappstein is my favourite over here.

Could only find it in restaurants until good old Dan Murphys opened up around the corner from me.:thumbup:

BadgeIsBack May 22nd 2011 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Melbourne bound Mark (Post 9380348)
Knappstein is my favourite over here.

Could only find it in restaurants until good old Dan Murphys opened up around the corner from me.:thumbup:

Sounds like a post from 5 years ago...
Bizarrely I have gone right off room-temperature bitters - can't stomach them after having drunk them for years.

Coopers Pale Ale. Toohey's Dry, (spell checker wanted 'Gophers'). There are loads of boutique beers out here.

Tried the James Squire Amber but was disappointed.

Rambi May 22nd 2011 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9380338)
Local bottle shop is selling it, about $70 a box, absolutely beautiful stuff, especially the strawberry and lime one. Couldn't drink it all the time, but its a lovely drink to sit back and really enjoy :wub:
Had some in a bar back in London too - certainly couldn't do a whole night out on it!

I've only tried the pear flavour. The other flavours are too Belgian for me :lol:

micmay3_in_oz May 22nd 2011 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9380338)

The wild berries one is beautiful - trouble is it goes down all too easily and one is not enough. :D

Mx