British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Which beer is the best to have when the sun is shining? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/beer-best-have-when-sun-shining-717900/)

Andy_P May 21st 2011 6:04 pm

Which beer is the best to have when the sun is shining?

I'm thinking of a few cheeky Corona's, with the obligatory bit of lime stuck in it.

What's your poison?

Pollyana May 21st 2011 6:12 pm

Re: Which beer is the best to have when the sun is shining?

Originally Posted by Andy_P (Post 9379328)
I'm thinking of a few cheeky Corona's, with the obligatory bit of lime stuck in it.

What's your poison?

Over there, nice cold pint of Gaymers cider; over here Bulmers cider if i can get it, failing that Cascade Premium or Tooheys Extra Dry (lagers)

:beer: :beer:

Andy_P May 21st 2011 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9379336)
Over there, nice cold pint of Gaymers cider; over here Bulmers cider if i can get it, failing that Cascade Premium or Tooheys Extra Dry (lagers)

:beer: :beer:

Good call with the cider.

I have some ASDA cooking lager to fall back on if things get desperate.

Pollyana May 21st 2011 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Andy_P (Post 9379344)
Good call with the cider.

I have some ASDA cooking lager to fall back on if things get desperate.

Any port in a storm..........same standard as most Aussie lagers actually :blink:

Andy_P May 21st 2011 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9379347)
Any port in a storm..........same standard as most Aussie lagers actually :blink:

haha, possibly. I seem to remember drinking quite a lot of Crown on my last trip though, so must have liked that a fair bit :lol:

Not much of a connoisseur though. Sometimes all it needs to be is wet and ice cold. :)

Pollyana May 21st 2011 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Andy_P (Post 9379364)
haha, possibly. I seem to remember drinking quite a lot of Crown on my last trip though, so must have liked that a fair bit :lol:

Not much of a connoisseur though. Sometimes all it needs to be is wet and ice cold. :)

Crown isn't bad, there are plenty worse! I'm convinced that most Aussies keep their beer ice-cold so they don't actually taste it when they drink it!! :sneaky:

Andy_P May 21st 2011 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9379376)
Crown isn't bad, there are plenty worse! I'm convinced that most Aussies keep their beer ice-cold so they don't actually taste it when they drink it!! :sneaky:

Nice theory, and one I would be prepared to test quite thoroughly.

steve`o May 21st 2011 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Andy_P (Post 9379328)

What's your poison?

anything that some one else has paid for, always tastes better

ponyrama May 21st 2011 8:43 pm

I'm a Pure Blonde kinda girl. Had withdrawals when I got to blighty and soothed them with Tiger Beer. Dont mind the odd "New" either (but only when I have to steal the OH's cos I've run out of blonde!)

paulry May 21st 2011 10:35 pm

James Squire Amber Ale for me. A great thirst quencher. :thumbup: On a hot day I could down it in one :beer:

Rambi May 21st 2011 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9379376)

That's the reason why lagers are served cold the world over. ;) Imagine drinking a Carling that wasn't chilled to the point of tastelessness :eek: :lol:

Rambi May 21st 2011 11:24 pm

I usually go for Cider on really hot days.

Been trying Rekorderlig Pear Cider recently. Expensive stuff but v.nice :thumbup:

paulry May 22nd 2011 12:24 am

Originally Posted by Rambi (Post 9379676)
I usually go for Cider on really hot days.

Been trying Rekorderlig Pear Cider recently. Expensive stuff but v.nice :thumbup:

Will have to try that. :cool: Stoney Alcoholic Ginger Beer is also very thirst quenching :beer:

paulry May 22nd 2011 12:28 am

Originally Posted by Rambi (Post 9379674)
That's the reason why lagers are served cold the world over. ;) Imagine drinking a Carling that wasn't chilled to the point of tastelessness :eek: :lol:

Some Aussie beers are absolutely tasteless. One of the worst that I've tried so far is called "Cool"

Rambi May 22nd 2011 2:09 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 9379717)
Some Aussie beers are absolutely tasteless. One of the worst that I've tried so far is called "Cool"

I've never really liked lagers. Some pils are okay but they are often a bit samey. I like the James Squires Amber and IPA. Boston Mill's Pale Ale is one that I've drunk a few of lately. From a hops perspective it's somewhere between the Amber and the IPA.

Just came back from a trip to the mountains so I've picked up a few Dubbels and Pale Ales from the Bright Brewery. Again pricey but very nice. If you take a trip into the mountains you might want to check out what breweries are around. I like the stuff from Snow Mountain Brewery which is somewhere in the NSW Alps.