Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Been to parents evening: OMG!!!!!!!

Wikiposts

Been to parents evening: OMG!!!!!!!

Old Apr 28th 2008, 8:56 am
Danny

drdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud of
Default Re: Been to parents evening: OMG!!!!!!!

We've been impressed overall with the quality of our kids school. My 7 year old tells me that the teacher throws the white board rubber at kids who talk and cuddles them if they are upset. Good on her for keeping up the old fashion values.

Having said that, my 10 year old in the UK was sent to the headmaster because her tooth was loose, she wanted it out and he has a knack for it. Pulled it out no problems. That was a small village primary school, though.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 9:01 am
If all else fails...smile

smiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond repute

No way do we get away with anything in a class over here...Blighty!
You can't so much as look at a kid in the wrong way before they start.....and do they know it too....

What you have experienced is awful and I would approach someone (head or principle) about it.....whatever their thoughts or opinions, they keep them to themselves and certainly don't discuss with a parent of another child....

Good luck Ems x
Old Apr 28th 2008, 9:09 am
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to say, since we been here (4 months now) the kids have brought afew friends home from school and their manners have been impeccable. Tou can actually have a conversation with these kids. Perhaps the 'shut the f@@k up' incident is understandable if not comendable.

The 'dimbo' incident however, teacher should be strung up, one comment like that with the wrong ears listening could really screw a kid up.

I was pretty disruptive at school and my teacher told my mum I was retarded, my mum reckoned I was finding the class too easy and getting bored.

As it turns out I was nothing more than a trouble making little shit. , last time they let me look after the class guinea pig
Old Apr 28th 2008, 10:00 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

'dumbos' is not a very nice way to refer to young people. Although 'nerds' can be considered to be negative, it does imply intelligence which is the opposite of 'dumbos'.

Maths in particular is a subject of fear to many and that attitude does not help. I am sure that is not typical of Oz.

Maths is great and I love it, I wish was smart enough to be a nerd

Cheers,
Cooler

Q: What did the zero say to eight?

A: Nice belt!
Old Apr 28th 2008, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

melbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by scotty 71
Teachers would NEVER get away with saying that in England, not a chance!

The more I read and hear about the Australian Education system the more I feel worried. Should I be? Is it really as bad as people make out?
This is just an isolated incident. The teacher should not have said that to the parent. Don't think this is typical because it isn't. At my kids school all the teachers (bar one) are wonderful, caring and dedicated. They are taught well, the skills are at a very high standard. They go to a Catholic school and values and respect are taught every day. The kids are confident and think nothing of standing up in front of the school and speaking. They have a well rounded education here. Obviously not every school is going to be great and you have to do your research before choosing your school. Talk to people in the areas you are interested and go to each school to get a feel for the place. Overall, though and I am speaking for schools in Victoria the majority of schools are very good. As I have said before Australia consistently comes up in the top 10 countries in the world in education standard surveys. Don't let a few negative comments put you off.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:52 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

There are good an bad teachers across the world, even in Australia and the UK.

Even good teachers make the odd mistake too.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 2:03 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by drdan
We've been impressed overall with the quality of our kids school. My 7 year old tells me that the teacher throws the white board rubber at kids who talk and cuddles them if they are upset. Good on her for keeping up the old fashion values.

Having said that, my 10 year old in the UK was sent to the headmaster because her tooth was loose, she wanted it out and he has a knack for it. Pulled it out no problems. That was a small village primary school, though.

If anyone ever threw anything at my kid for TALKING (FFS) they would be in for trouble.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 2:32 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flodsfive
Here in England in my Daughter class the teacher got a way with telling a pupil he was stupid in front of the whole class.

Apparently when the mother went to talk to the teacher, she explained that he was a unpopular, strange boy that brags. I know the young boy in question he is a very good natured boy age 10.

It' still not been sorted out.
Yes and one of my eldest childs teachers (Yr 2 UK) told the class they were gormless and a bunch of Zombies.

I have been pleased with the attitude of the teachers I have dealt with here(WA).
Old Apr 28th 2008, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tillysmum
Just back from first parents evening for yr 10 daughter and up to now was feeling ok about our choice for daughters school here in OZ(private school with good reputation). But OMG now am worried, one teacher refered to some of the children in daughters class as 'Nerds' Then when discussing different types of maths courses in yr 11/12 teacher said daughter was good enough to have a go at Maths B but to watch out for Maths A as it was for 'Dumbos' OMG.
I've had to put this down to the more erm 'laid back' nature here and seem to have got over the shock factor after 7 years and 3 kids having done school here.

Some classics, middle son has dyslexia, its mild, but does not even warrant any school passing the info from one teacher to the next each year etc. Week one each year he has to tell each teacher he has dyslexia, some of the comments, no worries I cant spell either, so? try harder, we dont have dyslexia here, what do you mean?

Hes in the middle stream gets all B's and A's, hes in the top 3 in the class in english, dont know if thats any indication of the standards, ie dyslexia, no help or assistance, top of class See I can laugh about it now, if my kids stay at school here were looking at very good OP's. One teacher greeted the his 9 class this year with 'you lot look like a right bunch of losers', hes been sworn at for asking the teacher to repeat a maths example of new work which nobody really seemed to understand, another kid asked he got sent out the room.

Casual and laid back alright. I got my own back at the primary school, the teachers, well frankly some of them look like yobs, the just been fishing look might describe it, anyway they keep sending home notes about correct socks, coloured shoe laces etc, trivial stuff... Once in the 7 years we got selected to answer a parent feedback form, I wrote it all in there! right down to teachers grilling sandwiches mid lesson, drinking hot coffee in class, wearing yobbo clothing and hair, smoking at the back of the school, the way kids are spoken too, pointed out if they wanted respect they should look at setting an example.

We didnt get 'selected' for the survey again
Old Apr 28th 2008, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tillysmum
Just back from first parents evening for yr 10 daughter and up to now was feeling ok about our choice for daughters school here in OZ(private school with good reputation). But OMG now am worried, one teacher refered to some of the children in daughters class as 'Nerds' Then when discussing different types of maths courses in yr 11/12 teacher said daughter was good enough to have a go at Maths B but to watch out for Maths A as it was for 'Dumbos' OMG.
God, I can't believe any teacher said those things, let alone a private school one!
I must say, or two go to the local government Williamstown Primary school and we are very happy all round. My son has mild arpergers and was bullied in Scotland because he's a quiet gentle boy, but here he's a hero. The kids are so friendly and protective of him and his confidance has soared.

I'd definately consider complaining to the headteacher at your school, and if he/she was like the teacher then move schools!
Good luck!
Old Apr 28th 2008, 9:12 pm
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle

If anyone ever threw anything at my kid for TALKING (FFS) they would be in for trouble.
I regularly had the black board wiper thrown at me in secondary school

In the UK

(ok it was mid 80's) the teacher had me excluded from lessons mainly because
he didnt like my brother (who he had taught a year previously) ok ok i was bit lippy too but nothing uncontrollable

Bloody arse became deputy head.........

went back for a reunion

was well pleased that he remembered me and my bro
Old Apr 28th 2008, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

confuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really nice

Originally Posted by bev1
Thats appalling

Teachers are ans should set an example. No wonder half the Kids are unruly !!!

I know the ozzies are supposed to be more laid back but thats just rude, inappropriate and unprofessional
I'm sorry but WHATTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!! You can not be serious! what about the teachers who do set an example and still have the unruly kids? About time some parents took some responsibility IMO!

As for the OP- that is seriously inappropriate not to mention unprofessional. Since it was the HOD, I'd be making an appointment to speak to the deputy. Everyone makes mistakes, doesn't mean they shouldnt be made accountable for them.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

confuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really nice

Originally Posted by confuzzled
I'm sorry but WHATTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!! You can not be serious! what about the teachers who do set an example and still have the unruly kids? About time some parents took some responsibility IMO!

As for the OP- that is seriously inappropriate not to mention unprofessional. Since it was the HOD, I'd be making an appointment to speak to the deputy. Everyone makes mistakes, doesn't mean they shouldnt be made accountable for them.
And those of you who think it doesnt happen in the UK, sorry but it does! More times than i care to remember (while teaching in various areas in the UK)i had to do a double take to think "did i really just hear that teacher say that to that child/ parent"
Old Apr 28th 2008, 9:38 pm
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

Went to my boys parents evening a couple of weeks ago. Met his teacher she was bloody gorgeous, I think the boy's getting on ok wasn't really listening
Old Apr 28th 2008, 10:22 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sam
I regularly had the black board wiper thrown at me in secondary school

I remember our (excellent, though short-tempered) physics teacher launching a blackboard duster at a boy who was blabbing away. Unfortunately she missed and the thing landed in the back of the head of some girl, who was just sitting innocently. I can still hear the "crack" that the thing made.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.