Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Been to parents evening: OMG!!!!!!!

Been to parents evening: OMG!!!!!!!

Old Apr 28th 2008, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold
Default Been to parents evening: OMG!!!!!!!

Just back from first parents evening for yr 10 daughter and up to now was feeling ok about our choice for daughters school here in OZ(private school with good reputation). But OMG now am worried, one teacher refered to some of the children in daughters class as 'Nerds' Then when discussing different types of maths courses in yr 11/12 teacher said daughter was good enough to have a go at Maths B but to watch out for Maths A as it was for 'Dumbos' OMG.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 9:33 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Been to parents evening: OMG!!!!!!!

Wow, I would be a bit concerned about how the teacher was talking as well. I'm a math teacher and would NEVER say a class was for dumbos, or anything like that. I can't ever remember using the term nerds either, at least not since I left high school!

Not sure what I'd suggest, but if it bothers you then maybe a talk with the teacher about using appropriate terms.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 11:35 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

OMG !
Old Apr 28th 2008, 12:14 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tillysmum
Just back from first parents evening for yr 10 daughter and up to now was feeling ok about our choice for daughters school here in OZ(private school with good reputation). But OMG now am worried, one teacher refered to some of the children in daughters class as 'Nerds' Then when discussing different types of maths courses in yr 11/12 teacher said daughter was good enough to have a go at Maths B but to watch out for Maths A as it was for 'Dumbos' OMG.
Think I would have asked if she/he had been in Maths A when they were a student.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold

The scary thing is it was two different teachers that came out with the comments!! The maths teacher was head of maths dept
Old Apr 28th 2008, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

The scary thing is it was two different teachers that came out with the comments!! The maths teacher was head of maths dept
Think I'd be inclined to voice these concerns to the principal if it were me.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

LindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the rough

The place I work at would have strung me up if I had spoken like that to parents. And then they would probably have given me some grammar lessons. The upshot is, they were probably being accurate.

In some cultures there is a huge status students to be good at Mathematics. This may mean that the students do very little other than studying mathematics, which can make rather "nerdy" young adults.

Mathematics A would be a general mathematics course that is the minimum requirement by employers and non-science degree courses. Mathematics B is 'real' mathematics that would be required if you are doing engineering/science/mathematic at university. Mathematics C is pure maths and is normally studied by those also doing maths B and intending to further their mathematical studies after school.

So to put it bluntly, Maths A is for the less mathematically gifted.

Ps. Maffs teacher in a private Queensland school.

</IMG>
Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:39 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Dumbos and nerds

At the school my eldest goes to, a teacher told a pupil to 'shut the f**k up' and got away with it.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:46 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Lindyloo's explantion probably sums it up what the teacher meant, although I still don't like how it was phrased by the teacher in question. My problem (other than the terms) is that I don't think anyone should automatically assume that students in the lower level math courses aren't mathematically gifted. I do think the majority of students (if not all) probably aren't the strongest in math, but there could be a few in there that just don't need to take the higher level math.

You could be really good at math and choose a career that doesn't require taking any higher level mathematics courses. I was great at math in high school, but I could have easily chosen to be a photographer or mechanic or some other trade that didn't require math. That wouldn't have made me stupid, it just would have meant that course wasn't required for me.

However, I do think that if a student is good at math then they should do those courses just so they have options later down the line.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

John_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Dumbos and nerds

At the school my eldest goes to, a teacher told a pupil to 'shut the f**k up' and got away with it.

I think that is needed here in the UK. Some unruley kids just need a firm harsh word or two since corpral punishment isn't allowed.

John
Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:59 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by John_R
I think that is needed here in the UK. Some unruley kids just need a firm harsh word or two since corpral punishment isn't allowed.

John
I can understand how a slip of the tongue is easily done. Especially with teenagers.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so glad I'm doing this on my own. This thread got me thinking of all the different things I've have to consider if I was emmigrating with a family. Dont think I'd manage.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

bev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nice
Thumbs down Re: Been to parents evening: OMG!!!!!!!

Thats appalling

Teachers are ans should set an example. No wonder half the Kids are unruly !!!

I know the ozzies are supposed to be more laid back but thats just rude, inappropriate and unprofessional
Old Apr 28th 2008, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

scotty 71 has a spectacular aura aboutscotty 71 has a spectacular aura aboutscotty 71 has a spectacular aura about

Teachers would NEVER get away with saying that in England, not a chance!

The more I read and hear about the Australian Education system the more I feel worried. Should I be? Is it really as bad as people make out?
Old Apr 28th 2008, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

flodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really nice

Here in England in my Daughter class the teacher got a way with telling a pupil he was stupid in front of the whole class.

Apparently when the mother went to talk to the teacher, she explained that he was a unpopular, strange boy that brags. I know the young boy in question he is a very good natured boy age 10.

It' still not been sorted out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.