Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Bedding - do you use the same size or one size bigger?

Bedding - do you use the same size or one size bigger?

Old Feb 19th 2020, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bedding - do you use the same size or one size bigger?

Yeah, I know it is a bit of a random question!

My wife (separated) always got duvets one size bigger than the bed. I designed and made the boys' beds king single size, so she got double-size duvets (sorry, doonas...) for them. Is this normal? Is this what you do? (I'm going bedding shopping later this morning, but plan on getting single-size stuff - if only because it's cheaper).

And (related, but digressing) is it odd that I'm looking forward to going to court on Monday? My control freak wife (separated) won't let me have our boys overnight. She has told me "not until you have suitable self-funded accommodation". Lawyer has told me this is ridiculous with no basis in law, so after next Monday I'm looking forward to finally being able to read bedtime stories again with the youngest, or cheering the Swans on Kayo with my eldest when they play evening matches , and the simple joy of being woken up by them at 6am for breakfast. Well, maybe not the 6am bit, but you know what I mean

Thanks to Facebook marketplace (and a good mate with a big car - I only have a bicycle) I got two good solid single beds for $25, and thanks to the mate's wife who works at a furniture shop, two new mattresses on staff discount. Am going bedding shopping later this morning. The boys have no idea. So excited to see their reaction when they're round to me on Friday!
Old Feb 19th 2020, 11:12 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Bedding - do you use the same size or one size bigger?

We have a hand made king single. I bought queen size duvet, cover and bedding for it. One size up. I do the same with the other beds too.
I like there to be a generous overhang and if someone is restless there is more generosity in the one size up approach to allow for that.
Old Feb 20th 2020, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute

That makes sense. So I guess for my queen size bed then I have a kind size duvet? I could ask the wife, but her communication is about as good at the duvet itself.

I have actually found two double duvets left behind by her, in a cupboard above my guitars (I didn't think to look there; evidently neither did she else she would have taken them). So, as I'm already in possession of duvets that has saved me a decent amount of money, and I went out and bought double-size duvet sets rather than singles

Cheers
Old Feb 20th 2020, 11:46 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad
That makes sense. So I guess for my queen size bed then I have a kind size duvet? I could ask the wife, but her communication is about as good at the duvet itself.

I have actually found two double duvets left behind by her, in a cupboard above my guitars (I didn't think to look there; evidently neither did she else she would have taken them). So, as I'm already in possession of duvets that has saved me a decent amount of money, and I went out and bought double-size duvet sets rather than singles

Cheers
We have a queen bed and a king size duvet. Apparently (and I think he's a big fat liar) I hog the blankets. On my single beds in the spare rooms I have double size doonas. Like BEVS I like a generous overhang.

Good luck at court. It would be nice for the boys to get to stay overnight with dad too.
Old Feb 20th 2020, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dorothy
We have a queen bed and a king size duvet. Apparently (and I think he's a big fat liar) I hog the blankets.
Sounds like the cert ain someone who used to share my bed

Like BEVS I like a generous overhang.
So size does matter...

Good luck at court. It would be nice for the boys to get to stay overnight with dad too.
Thank you. Proceedings were instigated by the wife. She thinks it is just so she can force the sale of the house. We're going to go in with "let's get formal custody of the kids sorted first, shall we, isn't that more important?" and hopefully the judge will agree. I came off my medical exemption on 12th Jan and I hoped to have a job by now, but after 6 applications I've had 6 rejections. Quite difficult getting back into the IT game when I've been a full time dad for 7 years. I'm keeping positive though. Things can only get better!
Old Feb 23rd 2020, 11:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Queen bed, king duvet here as well. Can't imagine going back to same sized duvet, too much draught.
Old Feb 23rd 2020, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Queen bed, king duvet here as well. Can't imagine going back to same sized duvet, too much draught.
My 'draught' is something my wife complained about too 😆
Old Feb 24th 2020, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I also go one size up, but I have noticed that there is a trend for people sharing queen or king beds to go to 2 twin duvets. But I also go one size down for a king duvet .... it seems that a queen cover will plump the duvet up more yet also gives the extra width.

We first saw the twin duvets in Europe about 10/12 years ago, it made sense in hotels ....... 2 twin beds pushed together to make a king bed for a couple with twin duvets. It made sense for easy separation to a 2 bed room.

But our daughter went to twin duvets several years ago. Her husband is much taller and broader (muscular not fat) than she is and she always lost out in the war for the covers. She said several of her friends had done the same thing!
Old Feb 25th 2020, 7:35 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad
...cheering the Swans...
Alarming!

Also, yes, I've always used a duvet that was a size larger than the bed size.