Wikiposts

The Beatles

Old Jan 29th 2010, 12:21 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Beatles

Originally Posted by framac67
Your just trying to get a bite wee man.....hes a legend.
Who me
Old Jan 29th 2010, 1:09 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim

U2 are bit up themselves (especially Bonio) but have some classic tunes.
U2 are the most pretencious band on the planet. They genuinely believe they are music gods because they have been together for 4 decades. I didn't mind their 80s stuff and they have some great classics in Dancing Barefoot and When loves comes to town, but since then their material has been music by numbers.

Added to that the W@nker factor in Bono and The Edge they really are a bunch of clowns IMO. Larry Mullen Jnr is a very underrated drummer though.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 1:28 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
U2 are the most pretencious band on the planet. They genuinely believe they are music gods because they have been together for 4 decades. I didn't mind their 80s stuff and they have some great classics in Dancing Barefoot and When loves comes to town, but since then their material has been music by numbers.

Added to that the W@nker factor in Bono and The Edge they really are a bunch of clowns IMO. Larry Mullen Jnr is a very underrated drummer though.
There was a comedy skit about how The Edge (David Evans, born in London) would sound if they took away all the effects, can't remember who did it but it was funny ... and true ...
Old Jan 29th 2010, 1:30 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

There was a comedy skit about how The Edge (David Evans, born in London) would sound if they took away all the effects, can't remember who did it but it was funny ... and true ...
pretty much every one of his guitar tracks sound exactly the same as each other and yet many people hail him as a guitar god. Having said that those same people seem to hold John Mayer in the same regard
Old Jan 29th 2010, 1:38 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

pretty much every one of his guitar tracks sound exactly the same as each other and yet many people hail him as a guitar god. Having said that those same people seem to hold John Mayer in the same regard
I hear that ... I can't stand Carlos Santana meself but I'm sure he feels the same way about me.

I prefer Peter Green (he's lost a bit of spark these days, granted) ... and he's playing the Byron Bay Bluesfest ... and I have tickets. Happy, happy days.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 1:42 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

I hear that ... I can't stand Carlos Santana meself but I'm sure he feels the same way about me.

I prefer Peter Green (he's lost a bit of spark these days, granted) ... and he's playing the Byron Bay Bluesfest ... and I have tickets. Happy, happy days.
I liked his early stuff with Fleetwood Mac, but to be honest he is one of those artists who doesn't promote himslef that much making it difficult to follow him.

The Santana comment was semi-blasphemy to me! I hear you about his stuff since about 1980 he has been f#$%in awful. But his late 60s and early 70s stuff was out of this world. Hendrix often gets all the accolades for his performance at Woodstock, but Santana performing Soul Sacrifice remains one of the live performances of all time for me (behind Hendrix performing Little Wing at the Royal Albert Hall 68)
Old Jan 29th 2010, 1:48 pm
Mostly Harmless

I liked his early stuff with Fleetwood Mac, but to be honest he is one of those artists who doesn't promote himslef that much making it difficult to follow him.

The Santana comment was semi-blasphemy to me! I hear you about his stuff since about 1980 he has been f#$%in awful. But his late 60s and early 70s stuff was out of this world. Hendrix often gets all the accolades for his performance at Woodstock, but Santana performing Soul Sacrifice remains one of the live performances of all time for me (behind Hendrix performing Little Wing at the Royal Albert Hall 68)
I might open my ears again and try to listen afresh but it's like me and Phil Collins, I just can't abide the man.

I'm surprised Peter Green is making the trip to be honest but I'm glad.

Hendrix at Woodstock? Yeh, Star Spangled Banner was great but the rest is a bit ... meh ... for me. He was over his peak there.

I think his pinnacle was the Monterey Pop Festival, first time I saw that I sat open-mouthed as he launched into Killing Floor ... and his version of Like A Rolling Stone I could play all day every day.

(edit) Hendrix - Royal Albert Hall ... reminds me, I'll have to check that out again, it's been a while.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 3:08 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

I might open my ears again and try to listen afresh but it's like me and Phil Collins, I just can't abide the man.

I'm surprised Peter Green is making the trip to be honest but I'm glad.

Hendrix at Woodstock? Yeh, Star Spangled Banner was great but the rest is a bit ... meh ... for me. He was over his peak there.

I think his pinnacle was the Monterey Pop Festival, first time I saw that I sat open-mouthed as he launched into Killing Floor ... and his version of Like A Rolling Stone I could play all day every day.

(edit) Hendrix - Royal Albert Hall ... reminds me, I'll have to check that out again, it's been a while.
There's an Aussie guy who plays a lot of Hendrix covers live somewhere in Sydney. He's fairly well known, but I can't for the life of me remember his name, Richard something or other I think. He does a really good version of Hear My Train Comin' as well as Killing Floor. He also plays a lot of Clapton too...unfortunately.

As the topic is the Beatles, Hendrix actually played Sgt Pepper's live before the Beatles had a chance to. McCartney recalls in an interview how he went to the 100 Club in London to watch Hendrix play and they had released Sgt Pepper's just the week before and suddenly he hears Hendrix playing it!
Old Jan 29th 2010, 3:08 pm
F*** it!

Fenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond repute

vocals and lyrics were
McCartney had nothing to do with the composition. His childhood friend Pete Shotton may have helped with the odd word or phrase and George Martin (under Lennon's instruction) added the arrangement for strings and brass but the 3 basic songs that go to make the finished version are all Lennon's.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 3:09 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

There's an Aussie guy who plays a lot of Hendrix covers live somewhere in Sydney. He's fairly well known, but I can't for the life of me remember his name, Richard something or other I think. He does a really good version of Hear My Train Comin' as well as Killing Floor. He also plays a lot of Clapton too...unfortunately.

As the topic is the Beatles, Hendrix actually played Sgt Pepper's live before the Beatles had a chance to. McCartney recalls in an interview how he went to the 100 Club in London to watch Hendrix play and they had released Sgt Pepper's just the week before and suddenly he hears Hendrix playing it!
Richard Madden, that's it!

Sh!thouse band, but he does Hendrix very well
Old Jan 29th 2010, 3:16 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mono
Noting that there are some pro-Australia types here slagging off The Beatles. Wonder if there's something significant in that.................................

Something about cultural redundancy perhaps.
My local radio station have just been running a "Battle of the Bands" week. The Beatles lost out at the semi-final stage..... to Cold Chisel.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 3:17 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFHhB...eature=related

...played as our Bridal Waltz!

add Band Of Gypsies NYE 1969 Fillmore East performance of Machine Gun to that list too

Last edited by Broad Shoulders; Jan 29th 2010 at 3:19 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 3:18 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
My local radio station have just been running a "Battle of the Bands" week. The Beatles lost out at the semi-final stage..... to Cold Chisel.
Let me guess, ACDC won the final?
Old Jan 29th 2010, 3:21 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Let me guess, ACDC won the final?
Absolutely 100% correct.

Fifth year running apparently.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 3:23 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Absolutely 100% correct.

Fifth year running apparently.
Aussies are so predicatble in their music tastes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.