Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Beach Driving - can we (AWD Hyundai Sante Fe)??

Wikiposts

Beach Driving - can we (AWD Hyundai Sante Fe)??

Old Dec 13th 2007, 12:26 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Beach Driving - can we (AWD Hyundai Sante Fe)??

So, my mother in law is visiting and we're thinking of heading up to Frasier Island (from south Brisbane). We're hoping to take the car over on the ferry and drive on the beach. Will we be able to take our all wheel drive Hyundai Sante Fe out on the beach, or am I dreaming?

If we can, any tips for the trip? Or for driving on the beach? I've driven on lots of snow and ice but never a beach
Old Dec 13th 2007, 5:16 am
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Beach Driving - can we (AWD Hyundai Sante Fe)??

Originally Posted by comet555
So, my mother in law is visiting and we're thinking of heading up to Frasier Island (from south Brisbane). We're hoping to take the car over on the ferry and drive on the beach. Will we be able to take our all wheel drive Hyundai Sante Fe out on the beach, or am I dreaming?

If we can, any tips for the trip? Or for driving on the beach? I've driven on lots of snow and ice but never a beach
Thought fraser island was all beach (well sand anyway) and I know billy connoly drove on it
Old Dec 13th 2007, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah - i think she's asking if the santa fe will be up to the job?

Sorry, don't know - but i've got a feeling it might struggle...sure someone else will know for sure

Have a nice trip btw

sam x
Old Dec 13th 2007, 5:42 am
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sammyg
Yeah - i think she's asking if the santa fe will be up to the job?

Sorry, don't know - but i've got a feeling it might struggle...sure someone else will know for sure

Have a nice trip btw

sam x
Ahh I get it. sorry no idea if the car will be up for the job
Old Dec 13th 2007, 6:09 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldnt trust it. The concept is you need to possibly change ratio, from high to low. Best of my knowledge, AWD could struggle, perhaps email a Hyundai dealership and ask the question.

I reckon traction is your biggest issue.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 7:30 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

You prolly could (just) but personally, I wouldn't!

If the sand gets soft, which it will on Fraser, you will need to use low ratio otherwise will be running at very high revs in high ratio (normal setting on AWD vehicles) just in order to keep going! Engine will very quickly overheat....I know - from experience!

As a footnote, unless you hate your car and have very deep pockets for repairs and lack of resale value ...then stay the hell away from sand and salt water full stop!
Old Dec 13th 2007, 7:35 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
You prolly could (just) but personally, I wouldn't!

If the sand gets soft, which it will on Fraser, you will need to use low ratio otherwise will be running at very high revs in high ratio (normal setting on AWD vehicles) just in order to keep going! Engine will very quickly overheat....I know - from experience!

As a footnote, unless you hate your car and have very deep pockets for repairs and lack of resale value ...then stay the hell away from sand and salt water full stop!
is that the voice of experiance i wonder ??
Old Dec 13th 2007, 7:41 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
is that the voice of experiance i wonder ??
lol thats a LOW BLOW !! stevO
Old Dec 13th 2007, 7:44 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
lol thats a LOW BLOW !! stevO
me?
what ?

further tips for beach driving

you must take a chuffin big flag
just to show em where your from
Attached Thumbnails Beach Driving - can we (AWD Hyundai Sante Fe)??-img_5303.jpg  
Old Dec 13th 2007, 7:51 am
Banned

Originally Posted by steve`o
me?
what ?

further tips for beach driving

you must take a chuffin big flag
just to show em where your from
Its a fqn wonder he didnt take off with that strapped to the bumper !!!!!
My daughter said, DAD thats the DANISH flag isnt it !!!!
Old Dec 13th 2007, 7:57 am

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it can be done..but would I do it..NO..best way is hire a decent fourby,you'll find it more relaxing...it's bloody expensive to recover a vehicle from Fraser..Have you looked into the 4wd coach trips that go from Hervey Bay.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 8:26 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Not tried it in mine, guess I've seen what sand/sea does to a car living at the seaside in the UK.

No low gear option, just a 50/50 diff lock option, but the off-road reviews are good.

There's even a santa fe forum in australia4wd

http://forum.australia4wd.com/index.php?showforum=94
Old Dec 13th 2007, 8:29 am
Banned

Originally Posted by datamile
Not tried it in mine, guess I've seen what sand/sea does to a car living at the seaside in the UK.

No low gear option, just a 50/50 diff lock option, but the off-road reviews are good.

There's even a santa fe forum in australia4wd

http://forum.australia4wd.com/index.php?showforum=94
specifically

http://forum.australia4wd.com/index.php?showtopic=9150
Old Dec 13th 2007, 9:41 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

You'd be OK on the beach but you'd quickly get into difficulties on some of the inland tracks. Let your tyres down and you'll be OK.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Just don't drive through any water.. a friend of ours hired one and drove through a small stream, water flooded in and wrecked all the electrics.. cost them 6 grand!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.