Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Barnardo's Break the Cycle TV ad 2009

Barnardo's Break the Cycle TV ad 2009

Old Oct 21st 2009, 6:59 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Barnardo's Break the Cycle TV ad 2009

Charities using shock tactics. Should they be doing this?

Old Oct 21st 2009, 7:38 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barnardo's Break the Cycle TV ad 2009

That's horrible and I can't see it doing anything for the poor kids going through abuse now
Old Oct 21st 2009, 8:20 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
That's horrible and I can't see it doing anything for the poor kids going through abuse now
That's my main objection too. Many will feel deeply distressed by it. Another negative point is it has a "happy slapping" look and feel to it meaning that victims of that kind of abuse will also be affected by it.

Well intended and it'll probably raise additional funds for the charity but I can't help thinking that it's at the victims' expense.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:04 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Well intended and it'll probably raise additional funds for the charity but I can't help thinking that it's at the victims' expense.
was it bernardo's that were spending 80p ('ish) of every £ raised on admin/office fee's and wages?
I remember one of the papers doing an article on it a few years back.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:30 am
Banned

Originally Posted by seang
was it bernardo's that were spending 80p ('ish) of every £ raised on admin/office fee's and wages?
I remember one of the papers doing an article on it a few years back.
I'm not sure. I know from personal experience that some charities spend a high proportion of donations on admin costs and unnecessary expenses.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I feel it is a very powerful ad and may get a child to seek help or for someone who witnesses abuse to step up and take charge.

As a Barnados child I can say that they do fantastic work and lets hope it doesn't stop.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:39 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hebe
Personally I feel it is a very powerful ad and may get a child to seek help or for someone who witnesses abuse to step up and take charge.

As a Barnados child I can say that they do fantastic work and lets hope it doesn't stop.
I agree they do do brilliant work but I'm not sure this ad will work. They put at the beginning that under 13s shouldn't see it and I assume it would be on the TV after 9pm. It's very powerful for an adult who doesn't have that violence in their lives, whether it has the same impact for others I don't know.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I agree they do do brilliant work but I'm not sure this ad will work. They put at the beginning that under 13s shouldn't see it and I assume it would be on the TV after 9pm. It's very powerful for an adult who doesn't have that violence in their lives, whether it has the same impact for others I don't know.

but it may make an adult sit up and take charge. A lot of violence takes place at home and often there are witnesses who do nothing

Looked up watershed in UK and can be shown before 9.00 pm

"According to Ofcom, the watershed on standard television in the UK starts at 9:00 p.m., and finishes at 5:30 a.m. the next morning. Programmes that are 15+ are shown during this period. However, some 12+ shows can be shown before 9:00 p.m., such as The Simpsons, Malcolm in the Middle and Doctor Who.

Last edited by Hebe; Oct 21st 2009 at 11:44 am.