Bar Room Brawls

Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:48 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bar Room Brawls

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
verystormy mentioned glassings in another thread, and it started me thinking.

When I was a kid it was unheard of. A fight in a bar was a fight. No knives, no slipping home to get your mates and a few guns.

Is it still like that in the UK, or is its like here, where the first thing you do is note which hand chummy holds his glass with? They you worry that he will be back with his cousins and a few Gloks to make his point.

And for that matter, do they have the same "knocked down and died" problem?

Every few weeks it seems here that some half drunk guy gets hit, falls over backwards and dies of head injuries.

I put the above to more of the overly protective influence at school, with no schoolyard fights, no boxing in schools etc. they simply don't know how to take a blow ( or stand correctly so that they don't fall over when they get one.....)

We'll need Gloks for this NC thing I suspect...

S
Old Jan 11th 2012, 2:03 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

S
I still have the keys to a bloody big armoury.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 2:07 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

It's a long time since I had a scrap in a pub; they can be great fun - if you win.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 2:08 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

S
Shhhhhhh - remember the first rule of coup club?
Old Jan 11th 2012, 2:12 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
I still have the keys to a bloody big armoury.

Cool. my weapons of choice are the Beretta 93R and H&K G36.

S
Old Jan 11th 2012, 3:16 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Like this scene from Trainspotting?
Old Jan 11th 2012, 3:35 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

This thread title has given me an earworm.

You're welcome (And it's far less violent than the last vid.)

Old Jan 11th 2012, 3:49 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ukecadet
raser
Wasn't uncommon where I grew up.All sorts of weapons used.No Gloks but some people would turn up with a very effective length of lead pipe or an axe"usually premeditated payback" Oh!nearly forgot the old cut throat razor.Oh! Oh! a steel comb.I could go on forever
My uncle had his face shredded.His fingers used to have chunks out of them from where he held his hands up to protect himself.He told me he could still see the guys face standing back from the blood splatter with his eyes half closed as he chopped away at arms length.These were men in their 30s around 1976.Maybe you were just fortunate to have been raised in a nice place and there's nothing wrong with that.
I can remember being shot at, along with half the clientele, in the Sherwood on Claremont Road. Now THAT was a rough pub. !
Old Jan 11th 2012, 4:08 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Cool. my weapons of choice are the Beretta 93R and H&K G36.

S
I'd love to still have my old Browning Hi Power
Old Jan 11th 2012, 5:12 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I can remember being shot at, along with half the clientele, in the Sherwood on Claremont Road. Now THAT was a rough pub. !
Ah! Rorke's Drift.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 5:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ukecadet
Ah! Rorke's Drift.
Fancy a trip down Memory Lane? I tried to find a picture of the Sherwood, (ideally without Michael Caine out front ) and I found this site. Lots and lots of pubs that I remember and drank in a lot of, now gone.

http://pubs-of-manchester.blogspot.c.../-%20Eastlands
Old Jan 11th 2012, 6:19 pm
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I'd love to still have my old Browning Hi Power
Ah FN - one of the few good things a French speaking country managed to do well...

S
Old Jan 11th 2012, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Of course it happened back then, and before that. Of course there were knives. Of course people ganged up. Your memory is failing, old chap.

I honestly dont know where to start... but I can say that Slapphead sounds very naive with his opening post.

I do know that out of season Millwall hoolies cleared the Bikies/Rockers, Hells angels types out of their havens from the Old Kent Rd and Lewisham way in that late 60's very Early 70''s....Those Bikies have never returned. They would literally practice their fighting skills on them and ambushed them all the time. Everytime one would pull up at the lights there were 13/14 and 15 year olds hanging off of them trying to knock them off thier bikes. There were shootups down Lewisham way at places called the Witch Doctor and Doctor Smiths in 1965.

Then my Dad can tell me about the Razor gangs of the late 40's of East London and Bermondsey way.

I dont think it's any worse or any better now to tell you the truth.

Bit surprised with the OP to tell you the truth.

Look up the origin of the word Hooligan... and you'll see it orignated in South London in the late 1800's.. Since then and almost certainly before there have always been weapons used in fights. Christ sakes. I had a Knife held on me in Sheffield back in 74.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooliganism

There's a bloke on the Palace Bulletin Boards that has been mugged over 20 times.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 11th 2012 at 7:18 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 7:18 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
There's a bloke on the Palace Bulletin Boards that has been mugged over 20 times.
Has he thought about moving !
Old Jan 11th 2012, 7:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Has he thought about moving !
It happened mostly in the 80's around Camberwell... got stabbed a couple times during these events as well.... I'll try and find a link.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.