Bank profit

Old Aug 12th 2014, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bank profit

Am I reading this wrong or is that $100 million in tax on $8.7 billion profit?

Commonwealth Bank posts record $8.7 billion profit - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Old Aug 12th 2014, 11:36 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank profit

9% dividends

Time to invest in CBA methinks
Old Aug 12th 2014, 11:56 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige

I've always argued that the super profits tax should be extended to cover banking - but there seems to be no political will to do it.

I would be interested to see how they have managed to pay so little tax though. I can't see that the CBA would be headquartered in Ireland?

Commonwealth Bank posts record $8.7 billion profit - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Originally Posted by Amazulu
9% dividends

Time to invest in CBA methinks

Yeah, that's a pretty good return...

S
Old Aug 12th 2014, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Yeah, that's a pretty good return...

S
If the big four banks paid their fair share, we'd have a superb Medicare. Paying little over 1% tax is disgusting.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 12:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

If the big four banks paid their fair share, we'd have a superb Medicare. Paying little over 1% tax is disgusting.
You have a choice to help bolster their profit or not. Your choice.

If its the Robin Hood support you are looking for then you can rest in comfort knowing that the more money they make, the more they pay in tax.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 12:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like $3.2bn of corporation tax to me? On NPBT of $11.9bn. So about 27%.

Where are you seeing $100m?
Old Aug 12th 2014, 12:20 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't seen their annual report but I doubt that they only paid $100m in tax - it was probably in the billions

I reckon you're reading it wrong
Old Aug 12th 2014, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yeah well I think I was reading the article right but it didn't give all the facts.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 12:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I haven't seen their annual report but I doubt that they only paid $100m in tax - it was probably in the billions

I reckon you're reading it wrong
Indeed as above. I have just taken a quick look at the accounts and they appear to have paid $3.25bn in tax.

In the footnotes there is a reference to $100m or thereabouts in relation to "policyholders tax" quite another matter. That sounds like tax paid on funds invested for benefit of policyholders, so perhaps investment funds or investments backing life insurance policies. But on their own income, it is over $3bn accrued for tax.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beoz
You have a choice to help bolster their profit or not. Your choice.

If its the Robin Hood support you are looking for then you can rest in comfort knowing that the more money they make, the more they pay in tax.
Let's assume that I was correct and they were paying such low tax, you seem to be totally ok with a company paying only 1% in tax. We could all prosper with that advantage. I'm not sure what you mean by it being my choice to bolster their profit. Why would I do that? To get them to pay more tax? Let me remind you that these are the same guys who were knowingly swindling their customers out of their money by using rogue financial advisors.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yeah well I think I was reading the article right but it didn't give all the facts.
The article didn't even mention tax.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
The article didn't even mention tax.
It gave the figure $8.7 billion and then $8.6 billion after tax.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 12:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Let's assume that I was correct and they were paying such low tax, you seem to be totally ok with a company paying only 1% in tax. We could all prosper with that advantage. I'm not sure what you mean by it being my choice to bolster their profit. Why would I do that? To get them to pay more tax? Let me remind you that these are the same guys who were knowingly swindling their customers out of their money by using rogue financial advisors.
Oh seriously, you make an outraged post because you cannot read financial statements and then challenge somebody on a low tax rate that you have miscalculated.

When I read the article in your link, I saw reference to "cash profit" and as tax is not levied on "cash profit" and before I had found the financial statements, I was wondering what could have been in the non cash profit (or loss) to bring the tax rate down to such a low level.

My default would be to find out what caused it before assuming that the organisation are a bunch of tax dodging crooks.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 12:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It gave the figure $8.7 billion and then $8.6 billion after tax.
It certainly does not.

All the figures in that article are after tax "NPAT" (net profit after tax), just two slightly different view.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 12:43 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Everyone, both businesses and individuals, should pay the tax that is required by the law of the land. Equally, everyone has the right to try and reduce the amount of tax they pay - as long as yhey are not breaking any laws

If companies or individuals are paying massively reduced tax but staying within the law, then that's cool. In fact, it's their duty to their shareholders and families

If governments or individuals are not happy with this then change the laws

Simple as

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.