British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Bag searches (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/bag-searches-663097/)

Pomster Apr 7th 2010 7:56 pm

Bag searches

Yes I know it has been done before but....

explain the logic in this.

I leave Big W, show them my bag.
Woman demands I show her my handbag as "it is A4 size". So if my handbag is smaller than A4 I am unlikely to be a thief, if it is bigger than A4, profiling shows I am 65pct more likely to be nicking stuff?

I had heard that razors are one of the most stolen items. If I was so inclined, I could stash several in my smaller handbag.

Next time they want to see my handbag I will tip the contents on the floor for them to rummage through- hopefully with my toilet training daughter's damp clothes in situ.....

James516 Apr 7th 2010 7:58 pm

Re: Bag searches

If you don't like it, don't go to bogan stores. Never happens at Myer, DJs etc.

Pollyana Apr 7th 2010 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Pomster (Post 8480748)
Yes I know it has been done before but....

explain the logic in this.

I leave Big W, show them my bag.
Woman demands I show her my handbag as "it is A4 size". So if my handbag is smaller than A4 I am unlikely to be a thief, if it is bigger than A4, profiling shows I am 65pct more likely to be nicking stuff?

I had heard that razors are one of the most stolen items. If I was so inclined, I could stash several in my smaller handbag.

Next time they want to see my handbag I will tip the contents on the floor for them to rummage through- hopefully with my toilet training daughter's damp clothes in situ.....

There is no logic, its a nasty unjustified practice, and is one of the reasons why I now do my shopping on the internet or when I come home to England. I avoid Queensland shops as much as possible.

emelems Apr 7th 2010 8:11 pm

It used to piss me off, doesn't nowadays strangely enough... now I just open said bag as I walk out.. odd the things that you can get used to isnt it?

Em x

squeezzii Apr 7th 2010 8:17 pm

Whenever I am stopped I cant help but give a filthy look and say to my kids, 'hang on, they think I have stolen something'. I then hand my bag to them unopened so they feel as uncomfortable as I do when they ask me to open it to peer in! :frown:
I dont think I will ever get used to it.
I have never felt that singling out someone as a possible thief is the best way to cultivate a happy customer base...

Pollyana Apr 7th 2010 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by emelems (Post 8480778)
It used to piss me off, doesn't nowadays strangely enough... now I just open said bag as I walk out.. odd the things that you can get used to isnt it?

Em x

Read some of my previous posts on the subject and you'll see why I'm so anti the practice!

emelems Apr 7th 2010 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8480793)
Read some of my previous posts on the subject and you'll see why I'm so anti the practice!

Look Pol, you are my hero in the bag searching superhero world... I plan to keep a supply of tampons, ky jelly and possible a rabbit (in the metaphoric meaning of the word) just to rile and shock some young or even older over enthusastic shop worker who has had a pissed off day.... ;)

Em x

The Bloke Apr 7th 2010 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8480757)
There is no logic, its a nasty unjustified practice, and is one of the reasons why I now do my shopping on the internet or when I come home to England. I avoid Queensland shops as much as possible.

You know I agree with you on there being no logic. I have seen lately that most don't even bother asking anymore.
I think they might have already met you.....:lol:

Japonica Apr 7th 2010 8:44 pm

I try to take as long as possible. Last time I was in express at Woolies and they asked to check my handbag, I SLOWLY opened it up and deliberately started placing one item at a time on the counter and explaining what it was..."Okay, no problem. Here's my house key, car keys...wallet, mints...old receipts, grocery lists, scrunchies, sunglasses..." A few items fell on the floor and that took a few minutes to round them up. Seriously, if they want to stop and ask me, I'll make it worth their while :p

lapin_windstar Apr 7th 2010 8:47 pm

It's really, really stupid.

It's not just Bogan stores - Coles, K-Mart, Woolies...

moneypenny20 Apr 7th 2010 9:38 pm

It's years since I've been asked. Don't think I've ever been asked more than half a dozen times in 4 and a half years. Couldn't care less to be honest because I know the person having to check wants to do it even less than you want to show.

Broad Shoulders Apr 7th 2010 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 8480942)
It's years since I've been asked. Don't think I've ever been asked more than half a dozen times in 4 and a half years. Couldn't care less to be honest because I know the person having to check wants to do it even less than you want to show.

Doesn't it make you feel a bit cheap doing that sort of thing in public toilets though?

moneypenny20 Apr 7th 2010 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders (Post 8480947)
Doesn't it make you feel a bit cheap doing that sort of thing in public toilets though?

You have to take what you can where you can sometimes.

soapy© Apr 7th 2010 9:48 pm

i always tie the plastic back in a knot and say help yirself lol
it always gets passed back to me with out even looking at it lol:lol:

Bernieboy Apr 7th 2010 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by soapy© (Post 8480970)
i always tie the plastic back in a knot and say help yirself lol
it always gets passed back to me with out even looking at it lol:lol:

You do the same wae yer trouser pockets when at the bar:lol: