Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Bad news for home sellers.

Bad news for home sellers.

Old Mar 17th 2008, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

scotty 71 has a spectacular aura aboutscotty 71 has a spectacular aura aboutscotty 71 has a spectacular aura about
Default Bad news for home sellers.

I knew it would only be a matter of time before I would be reading articles such as the one below

Taken from the Market Oracle.

A matter of days after soothing words on the prospects for UK house prices for 2008 were issued by the chief economist of Britain's largest Mortgage Bank (The Halifax), the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors released data today which shows the worst margin between rising and falling house prices since the height of the 1990's property crash.

The RICS data shows that only 4% of surveyors reported a price rise against 57% reporting price falls, thus resulting in a net negative reading of 53%, which seasonally adjusts to a 64% negative reading, the worst since June 1990. Stocks of unsold inventory continue to build up on surveyors books to levels not seen in a decade and up more than 50% over the last 12 months.

Home sellers hoping to escape the property slump via the quick auction route may find the situation there having further deteriorated since the most recent analysis of 2nd December showed a near 1/3rd of properties unable to be sold at that time despite cuts in reserve prices from months earlier.

As this analyst warned in an article barely 3 days ago, the UK housing market is primed for a crash that is scheduled to occur in April 2008 following the changes in capital gains taxes, though this is not the reason for falling house prices but merely a triggering point. Today's RICS data merely illustrates the tail end of the hurricane that is about to hit the UK housing market, which will be far more lasting and damaging than the recent stormy weather that has battered much of Britain's coastline.

The prospects for the UK housing market is to continue to trend towards at least a 15% fall in average house prices over 2 years from August 2007 to August 2009 (Data:Halifax NSA).

Last edited by scotty 71; Mar 17th 2008 at 6:18 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Mar 17th 2008, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Basty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to all
Default Re: Bad news for home sellers.

GUTTED
Old Mar 17th 2008, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

scotty 71 has a spectacular aura aboutscotty 71 has a spectacular aura aboutscotty 71 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Basty
GUTTED

Me too Basty, absolutely gutted!
Old Mar 17th 2008, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: A Small Village in Somerset.......out in the sticks
memewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Basty
GUTTED
Me Too....
Old Mar 17th 2008, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

seat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to all

I'd rather the exchange rate go back up
Old Mar 17th 2008, 6:41 pm
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

Somebody pass me my happy pills
Beth x x
Old Mar 17th 2008, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by seat151
I'd rather the exchange rate go back up

So would I if I had some money to exchange!
Old Mar 17th 2008, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

DEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud of

My god :curse: !!

I think I am now going to take drastic action, if we don't sell our house, we have nothing, I mean, NOTHING.

Think we are going to offer any possible buyers the 5% deposit towards their mortgage, we feel that is the only way to find somebody

Donna & Pete.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:01 pm
Account Closed

CarolineW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DEEDEE01

I think I am now going to take drastic action, if we don't sell our house, we have nothing, I mean, NOTHING.

Think we are going to offer any possible buyers the 5% deposit towards their mortgage, we feel that is the only way to find somebody

Donna & Pete.
Why not just drop the price enough to make everyone want to buy your house?

I see that report about prices holding up was by the Halifax- not that they have a vested interest or anything.I bet they have been handing out 100% mortgages so the last thing they want is for prices to fall.The mortgage banks have a lot to answer for.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:04 pm
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

Been on the market 11 months now
Knocked £40k off so far...........and have changed EA's 3 times.
Totally a buyers market at the mo
Beth x x
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

DEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CarolineW
Why not just drop the price enough to make everyone want to buy your house?

I see that report about prices holding up was by the Halifax- not that they have a vested interest or anything.I bet they have been handing out 100% mortgages so the last thing they want is for prices to fall.The mortgage banks have a lot to answer for.
Hi Caroline,

Think we may have to !!

Even if we only get £5k out of it, it will be better than nothing !!

Donna.

Last edited by DEEDEE01; Mar 17th 2008 at 8:30 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:16 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Isnt it about time, poms got 5 extra points for having a house to sell !!!
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:24 pm
In Perth & Loving it...

aus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud of

The prospects for the UK housing market is to continue to trend towards at least a 15% fall in average house prices over 2 years from August 2007 to August 2009 (Data:Halifax NSA).
Doesn't look good. Though it depends somewhat on your point of view.

Say for example (this is a real example in our area) last year a property would have sold for £200k. It is on the market today for £200k, thinking is it is worth at least what it was last year. Right?
Property does not sell and they keep reducing price until it reaches £150k. 25% drop in price! Not too good at all

Then again?

The house was bought 5 years ago for £50k. Over 5 years they have made a whopping 200% total profit or an average annual return of 40% .

Now I don't know about you but I don't know of any other asset that could have provided that level of return over the previous five years with such a relatively low level of risk.

Doesn't help those selling house at the minute (and I am one of them), but as I said it does all depends on how you view the situation.

Darren
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DEEDEE01

Donna & Pete.

Yes, we are in the same boat, this comes as a big blow to us, although not a surprise.
All our money is in the house too and we were hoping to go via the student route (the most expensive route for familys with children of school age) as the student route looks like the only way for our family to get to Australia anytime soon.
My husband hasn't enrolled onto the course YET as we wanted to sell the house first, we weren't brave enough to rely on the house selling fast given the current housing market.

I really don't know what we should do now, should we ride this out wait a few years for things to settle, because if it's going to be anything like the recession of the late 80's that's how long it took for things to get back on track, or should we just hold on tight and hope for the best and more than likely end up dropping the price of our house extortionate amounts, which then won't set us up as financially sucure as we would have been.

It's a hard one, it really is, I don't know what to do for the best at the moment. My eldest son is 10 and I really did not want him to start high school in England.

We are gutted to say the least but deep down I am sure we all knew what was coming. Blame the greedy Labour Government, they always manage to balls things up!:curse:

Gilly.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Isnt it about time, poms got 5 extra points for having a house to sell !!!

Can't you make that 100 points? With a nice new 4 bedroom house chucked in for good measure? Or am I being greedy now?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.