Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Back for funeral or not?

Back for funeral or not?

Old Oct 29th 2012, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice
Default Back for funeral or not?

I would like to go back for the funeral of my nan who died at the weekend. I know my dad needs me now and I need to be surrounded by my huge and supportive family.

However, I realise the expense to my family if I do. I can only take about a week off work. My husband has been supportive and thinks that I should return.

Do I go back or say my goodbyes from here? My heart is telling me one thing and my head another
Old Oct 29th 2012, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

Vicksy G is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Back for funeral or not?

Originally Posted by scrawni
I would like to go back for the funeral of my nan who died at the weekend. I know my dad needs me now and I need to be surrounded by my huge and supportive family.

However, I realise the expense to my family if I do. I can only take about a week off work. My husband has been supportive and thinks that I should return.

Do I go back or say my goodbyes from here? My heart is telling me one thing and my head another
Sorry to hear of your loss It is so hard when this happens and you are so far away. I would definitely go back even if it is just for a week or so. My gran died afew years back, on Christmas Day, & I am SO glad I went back & I know I would've regretted it if I hadn't. Also it will mean alot to you & your family to be there to support eachother at this sad time.
All the best.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

I am sorry to hear of your loss - my gran died earlier this year. I didn't return for the funeral. I did contemplate this - but as I had a UK trip planned for August - I just could not justify the further expense. I agree your head and your heart pull in two different directions.

My gran said that she wouldn't want me rushing back for her funeral - so I guess I followed her wishes. However, ideally it would have been a benefit to my family to support them.

If my mum or sister or God forbid ( my children) died - then it would be a different kettle of fish.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

I think you should go back for your dad.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 2:05 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Its only money. Some things are more important
Old Oct 30th 2012, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
I agree with this. You could have $5,000, $10,000 or $20,000 in the bank and blow it all, but you can always save it back one day. You only get one chance to say goodbye to family at their funeral.

But at the end of the day it is what works best for you and your family.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 4:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Only you can work this one out. Your husband says go, you can get time off work, I guess you can afford it, then you go. It's not for anyone other than you and your dad and that's all that counts. You'll never regret going but you may well regret not going.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 4:50 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

You should go, for your dad, not your nan.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 5:14 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

The fact you are even asking the question tells you the answer my lovely. Get the flight booked and go and support your family, you will always have it in your mind if you don't
Old Oct 30th 2012, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I am so sorry for your loss, and being on the other side of the world is never easy and straightforward. As one who has missed a load of family funerals, including my nanna's, in the past (actually never returned for a funeral at all) - go for the living not the dead. So if you have surviving rellies who absolutely need the support and you can afford the time and money then go but you dont HAVE to go, they know you are grieving just as much as they are.

I would have gone back for a parent's funeral even though they have said not to bother, but I didnt even give a thought to my grandmother's funeral even had I not been about to give birth to my second son within days of her death.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
So true.You wont regret it.Sorry about your Nan.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 8:25 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I think you have answered your own question

Sorry for your loss xx
Old Oct 30th 2012, 10:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

When faced with decisions that seem tricky, like this one is for you, I ask myself what will be more important a year from now.

So a year from now, will you be saying, "I wish I had not spent that money on that flight" or would you be saying "I wish I had been there".

I suspect it would be the latter.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Only you know what is right for you. I am not one to go back for funerals so personally I wouldn't but everyone if different
Old Oct 30th 2012, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear of your nan's passing.
If you want to go, and your dad needs you- and you have the support of your OH- then go.
Yes, it is expensive, but as others have said, you can find ways to make up the money you spend. It isn't being selfish, it is being supportive and human.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.