Babysitters?

Old Mar 28th 2011, 10:33 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all
Default Babysitters?

Just wondering what the going rate for a babysitter is?

My friend's daughter, who is 14, is going to watch my 3 year old for a while on Saturday night (my near 13 year old son will also be there), but I'm not sure how much to pay her. She will be watching him/ them for about 3 hours, and I don't want to give too little and look cheap, or give too much and be taken for a ride, if you know what I mean.

So do you or do you have a babysitter, if so, what is the going rate?

K
Old Mar 28th 2011, 10:42 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Babysitters?

Originally Posted by kar-kier

My friend's daughter, who is 14, is going to watch my 3 year old for a while on Saturday night (my near 13 year old son will also be there), but I'm not sure how much to pay her. She will be watching him/ them for about 3 hours, and I don't want to give too little and look cheap, or give too much and be taken for a ride, if you know what I mean.

K
I would say about $8-10 per hour. My 16 year old gets $10/hr for 2 kids so $8/hr for one child should be good.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

I paid mine $15 ph.I made the mistake of saying I didnt want any house work done,just to spend time with the kids. After six months I decided to pack in my job in the evening when I realised that the baby sitter was geting paid more than me,was eating more than me,was sitting down more than me,watching tv more than me and hanging out and bonding with the kids,more than me.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishbloo
I paid mine $15 ph.I made the mistake of saying I didnt want any house work done,just to spend time with the kids. After six months I decided to pack in my job in the evening when I realised that the baby sitter was geting paid more than me,was eating more than me,was sitting down more than me,watching tv more than me and hanging out and bonding with the kids,more than me.

I pay my babysitter $14 an hour but she is an adult if i was to get someone of that age to babysit for 3 hours maybe $8-$10? Like dorothy said.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LINDZI

I pay my babysitter $14 an hour but she is an adult if i was to get someone of that age to babysit for 3 hours maybe $8-$10? Like dorothy said.
Another one for $8-$10.

I pay my babysitters $15/hr but they are qualified chilcare workers (I use the girls from the kids' childcare centre) and so fully trained in first aid and old enough to drive and know what to do in an emergency.

I used to pay uni students who lived locally $10/hr, so I would certainly not give more than $10/hr to a 14 year-old.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

ColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud of

K
Okay, I'm not a parent yet so pardon my utter ignorance in this matter.

If your near 13 year old son is going to be around, why isn't he babysitting his younger sibling for three hours?
Old Mar 29th 2011, 1:23 pm
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ColonialCousin
Okay, I'm not a parent yet so pardon my utter ignorance in this matter.

If your near 13 year old son is going to be around, why isn't he babysitting his younger sibling for three hours?
LMAO, I couldn't trust my boy to watch his brother! He would probably forget he was even looking after him!

Thanks for all your replies, $10 an hour it is!
Old Mar 29th 2011, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

ColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud of

LMAO, I couldn't trust my boy to watch his brother! He would probably forget he was even looking after him!
Old Mar 29th 2011, 1:54 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your replies, $10 an hour it is!
My 13 year old daughter watches my 8 year old, only the last 6 months or so I guess. Anyhow, before that I paid $12 an hour to my 14 year old babysitter.