Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australian Sense Of Humour

Australian Sense Of Humour

Old Mar 8th 2006, 9:07 pm
Home at last

michellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to all
Default Re: Australian Sense Of Humour

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Shouldn't that be "their"?

Regards,
MrsPedantgirl

Hehehehehe Eye sore that two.

Michelle
Old Mar 8th 2006, 9:49 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Shouldn't that be "their"?

Regards,
MrsPedantgirl (sorry, couldn't help myself )
Sod it, beet me two it
Old Mar 9th 2006, 4:47 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Australian Sense Of Humour

Originally Posted by kiwichild
They have one ???

They seem to be able to laugh at everyone else but can't handle a laugh at them. I once went to a pub and got shit( for bring a kiwi) from these two aussie guys for near an hour. When I decided to respond with 2 jokes about aussies, these guys looked like they didnt know whether to cry or hit me LOL

What posers/tossers/wankers
Yes I found I got the same from the Kiwis when I lived in NZ.

Probably Kiwis and Ozzies find the same in the UK.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Mar 9th 2006, 4:55 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I've realised that this post deserves a better response than it received at my hands the first time around.

You are right; Kiwis definitely cop more than their fair share of ribbing from Aussies, and many of the jokes are crude, insensitive and offensive. Unfortunately, this often leads Kiwis to respond in kind - and so the problem self-perpetuates.

I have a number of Kiwi mates, and we have found that if the jokes are kept at a certain level (general, not personal; good-hearted banter, not snide remarks) everyone has a great time.

On the basis of personal experience, I conclude that this approach works equally well in the context of British/Australian banter.

As a general rule of thumb, if people get off on the right foot with each other in the first place, the humour will usually remain good-natured and both sides will have a grand old time. But if not... well, the results are predictable enough.
I think the reason that Ozzies and Kiwis give each other such a hard time is because they are so alike!

(cue mud slinging)

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Mar 9th 2006, 5:03 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by sasbear
It's like rain on your wedding day - Not even close, unless you've gone from Manchester to Hawaii for your wedding and get the first rain in August for 30 years, while Manchester experiences glorious sunshine, and how likely is that?
[PEDANT'S CORNER]

Hawaii's annual rainfall - 70 inches
Manchester's annual rainfall - 31 inches

It is therefore extremely likely that it would be raining in Hawaii on your wedding day and not raining in Manchester simultaneously.

Sources -

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/narratives/HAWAII.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester

[/PEDANT'S CORNER]

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Mar 9th 2006, 5:17 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I think the reason that Ozzies and Kiwis give each other such a hard time is because they are so alike!

(cue mud slinging)

Cheers

Buzzy
Its all like happy families with Australians being our older (layabout) brothers/sisters.

But we still luv them.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 7:17 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Australian Sense Of Humour

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

(cue mud slinging)

Cheers

Buzzy
I think you're right.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:03 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I think you're right.
I still maintain aussies give kiwis more of a hard time than they get from us.

Also while there are similarities between us, there are also distinct differences.

Funny thing tho is that when the chips are down both aussies and kiwis will rush to each others aide if any outsider (pom, yank, or other non-kiwi/aussie) causes a scene.

Maybe aussie do actually like us (ANZAC spirit and all) after all
Old Mar 10th 2006, 5:13 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Australian Sense Of Humour

Originally Posted by kiwichild
I still maintain aussies give kiwis more of a hard time than they get from us.
I agree.

Also while there are similarities between us, there are also distinct differences.
I agree. (Again! )

Funny thing tho is that when the chips are down both aussies and kiwis will rush to each others aide if any outsider (pom, yank, or other non-kiwi/aussie) causes a scene.

Maybe aussie do actually like us (ANZAC spirit and all) after all
Amen to that!