Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australian Sense Of Humour

Australian Sense Of Humour

Old Mar 7th 2006, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Sense Of Humour

Originally Posted by wengerboy
joke an aussie told me today!

guy is standing at a urinal havin a pee when a guy who appears to have no arms steps up beside him!

"excuse me mate i wuz wondering if you could give me a hand" said the guy with no arms.

"errrrm ok" said the guy peeing "what would you like me to do?"

"could ya unbutton me so`s i can have a pee?"

sheepishly the guy agrees and unbuttons his fly but he`s still not ready to pee!

"geez mate i`m really sorry" said the guy with no arms "but i really need me schlong out as well if you`d be so kind"

so begrudgingly he pulls out his schlong and jumps back in shock :scared:
" Arrrrrgggggh there`s all pussie things hanging off your shclong"
said the shell shocked guy.

" i know" he said "why ya think i hid me arms

:scared:
Old Mar 8th 2006, 9:24 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
I'll agree with that, but it's never stopped you any other time Rog .
I'll take that as concurrence then....<g>
Old Mar 8th 2006, 9:42 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I agree. Funnily enough, one of the questions I had to answer (within 10 minutes!) to get a job at AQA was "What is the difference between sarcasm and irony" - best I could do in the time limit was "The difference between irony and sarcasm is that the latter often has acerbic, mocking or derisive elements whilst irony is often completely unintended." I think they key words here are 'mocking' and 'derisive' - many Brits think behaving like this makes them funny. In reality they just look like arses.
The best way to explain irony is probably like rain on your wedding day, a free ride when you've already paid, it's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife, it's like meeting the man of your dreams and then meeting his beautiful wife. Isn't that ironic, don't you think? Hope this helps, Paul.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 10:18 am
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute

I always liked that song as well

Originally Posted by diddy
The best way to explain irony is probably like rain on your wedding day, a free ride when you've already paid, it's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife, it's like meeting the man of your dreams and then meeting his beautiful wife. Isn't that ironic, don't you think? Hope this helps, Paul.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 10:28 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sass73
Me too. Especially since none of the things she sang about were ironic (apologies if you were pointing that out Paul, but I'm three JD and cokes in now) ...

Turned up this good link on the very subject: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A700958
Old Mar 8th 2006, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sass73
That is not irony -
Definition -

saying one thing whilst meaning another. Irony occurs when a word or phrase has a surface meaning, but another contradictory meaning beneath the surface. There are many types of irony: rhetorical; Socratic; dramatic being the most popular.

So the cheryl crow song is more about 'murphy's law' or 'sods law' !
Old Mar 8th 2006, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sasbear
That is not irony -
Definition -

saying one thing whilst meaning another. Irony occurs when a word or phrase has a surface meaning, but another contradictory meaning beneath the surface. There are many types of irony: rhetorical; Socratic; dramatic being the most popular.

So the cheryl crow song is more about 'murphy's law' or 'sods law' !
Oops wrong song - but here is what I mean ___

What Irony Is Not

Irony can be humorous, but most humour is not ironic. Some informative examples of what irony is not come, ironically, from the Alanis Morissette song 'Ironic'. Here are a few.

An old man turned 98/He won the lottery and died the next day - Tragedy, not irony.

It's a black fly in your chardonnay - Bummer but not ironic (although there is arguably some irony in the fly being black, however this does at least mean you don't ingest it with the drink).

It's a death row pardon two minutes too late - Not irony, just another example of why the death penalty is fatally flawed.

It's like rain on your wedding day - Not even close, unless you've gone from Manchester to Hawaii for your wedding and get the first rain in August for 30 years, while Manchester experiences glorious sunshine, and how likely is that?

A traffic jam when you're already late - certainly fails the 'unexpected' criterion.

A no-smoking sign on your cigarette break - more of a life-saver than an irony, that.

It's like 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife - Not unless you are in the Acme Knife Factory being approached by a mad axeman and reach behind you for a weapon, only to find that you're in the newly-opened spoon department.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 10:59 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Oops wrong song - but here is what I mean ___

What Irony Is Not

Irony can be humorous, but most humour is not ironic. Some informative examples of what irony is not come, ironically, from the Alanis Morissette song 'Ironic'. Here are a few.

An old man turned 98/He won the lottery and died the next day - Tragedy, not irony.

It's a black fly in your chardonnay - Bummer but not ironic (although there is arguably some irony in the fly being black, however this does at least mean you don't ingest it with the drink).

It's a death row pardon two minutes too late - Not irony, just another example of why the death penalty is fatally flawed.

It's like rain on your wedding day - Not even close, unless you've gone from Manchester to Hawaii for your wedding and get the first rain in August for 30 years, while Manchester experiences glorious sunshine, and how likely is that?

A traffic jam when you're already late - certainly fails the 'unexpected' criterion.

A no-smoking sign on your cigarette break - more of a life-saver than an irony, that.

It's like 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife - Not unless you are in the Acme Knife Factory being approached by a mad axeman and reach behind you for a weapon, only to find that you're in the newly-opened spoon department.
You know, I posted the link to that so people could read the whole article - lol
Old Mar 8th 2006, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hutch
You know, I posted the link to that so people could read the whole article - lol
Sos I just get out of my pram when it comes to the Englsih language and the imperfections of the spoken word - lol

Being a teacher of English has its downsides - I am constantly picking up people - specially my daughter on her use of language - come to think of it my hubby too - but his is more for the use of bad language lol
Old Mar 8th 2006, 11:11 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Sos I just get out of my pram when it comes to the Englsih language and the imperfections of the spoken word - lol

Being a teacher of English has its downsides - I am constantly picking up people - specially my daughter on her use of language - come to think of it my hubby too - but his is more for the use of bad language lol
Ahem, I think you'll find that you meant to say "especially".
Old Mar 8th 2006, 11:12 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

Ahem, I think you'll find that you meant to say "especially".
So, is that irony, sarcasm or taking the piss.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

So, is that irony, sarcasm or taking the piss.
No I think you will find that that is being PEDANTIC !!!

I think the chat room language and msn language used is fine but so many people use it when they shouldn't. Take kids (please do) they use it in there essays and have difficulty switching from text/msn language to written English.

An example would be ...Shakespeare was rite wen e sed wat e sed....

I think it is a sad fact that many people are not taught the fundamentals of English language - and just the basics are taught.

The school I taught at in UK was an example of this - year 10 students (so 14 - 15 years old) - out of 180 on roll in that year group - 75 below KS3 - meaning that the level set by government for Y6 kids had not been attained. How can you move onto Shakespeare and other forms of literature when the basics have not been grasped - The kids need to be able to use English in there daily life - to fill in forms and apply for jobs or even to move on to further education.

Sorry you started me on one now
Old Mar 8th 2006, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Australian Sense Of Humour

I think the chat room language and msn language used is fine but so many people use it when they shouldn't. Take kids (please do) they use it in there essays and have difficulty switching from text/msn language to written English.

I think it is a sad fact that many people are not taught the fundamentals of English language - and just the basics are taught.

The school I taught at in UK was an example of this - year 10 students (so 14 - 15 years old) - out of 180 on roll in that year group - 75 below KS3 - meaning that the level set by government for Y6 kids had not been attained. How can you move onto Shakespeare and other forms of literature when the basics have not been grasped - The kids need to be able to use English in there daily life - to fill in forms and apply for jobs or even to move on to further education.

Amen!!!
Old Mar 8th 2006, 6:45 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

May I suggest you switch to a context-sensitive spellcheck? <g>
Old Mar 8th 2006, 8:46 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Take kids (please do) they use it in there essays
The kids need to be able to use English in there daily life
Shouldn't that be "their"?

Regards,
MrsPedantgirl (sorry, couldn't help myself )

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Mar 8th 2006 at 9:06 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.