Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australian Sense Of Humour

Australian Sense Of Humour

Old Mar 6th 2006, 10:27 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Sense Of Humour

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Whats the difference between yoghurt and australians?

Yoghurt has culture
And dont you just get sick of Aussies asking you if you remembered to turn the light off when you arrive from NZ.

Whats australian foreplay?

Are you awake

Whats Tasmanian foreplay?

Are you awake

Mum
Old Mar 6th 2006, 10:32 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

My hubby is an Aussie...not a broad speaking one as being married to a pom and living here has subdued his accent. I have to say that his sense of humour has improved since being here, he loves Little Britain and Billy Connelly ( when he can understand him) , he has the piss taken out of him no end at work with things he says. When we lived in Oz I think the girls etc that I knew had a good sense of humour, very kath and kim...!!But I do think it takes a while for the "humour" we have to hit them in the right spot!!!We are more sarky for sure.

Lets face it they don't have the shows do they.!!!
Old Mar 6th 2006, 10:36 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
And dont you just get sick of Aussies asking you if you remembered to turn the light off when you arrive from NZ.

Whats australian foreplay?

Are you awake

Whats Tasmanian foreplay?

Are you awake

Mum
Old Mar 6th 2006, 10:37 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pants
My hubby is an Aussie...not a broad speaking one as being married to a pom and living here has subdued his accent. I have to say that his sense of humour has improved since being here, he loves Little Britain and Billy Connelly ( when he can understand him) , he has the piss taken out of him no end at work with things he says. When we lived in Oz I think the girls etc that I knew had a good sense of humour, very kath and kim...!!But I do think it takes a while for the "humour" we have to hit them in the right spot!!!We are more sarky for sure.

Lets face it they don't have the shows do they.!!!
Billy Connelly is just Bloody Brilliant!! Haven't seen the others you mention yet, must check them out.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by turtletom
BINGO! Your God dam right Kiwichild!! Welcome to my world!! I have the same jokes cracked about the way i talk day after day after day and its been over a year now!! Its like bloody groundhog day!! The scariest thing about the whole situation is that i dont think they have the brain capacity to think up of anything new to say! Which is very scary! It really pisses me off! Thats the things i hate most about Australians, they can dish it but cant take it. AT ALL!!
Now you know what it feels like to be a Welshman in England.

After a while it it just becomes background noise
Old Mar 6th 2006, 10:40 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by turtletom
BINGO! Your God dam right Kiwichild!! Welcome to my world!! I have the same jokes cracked about the way i talk day after day after day and its been over a year now!! Its like bloody groundhog day!! The scariest thing about the whole situation is that i dont think they have the brain capacity to think up of anything new to say! Which is very scary! It really pisses me off! Thats the things i hate most about Australians, they can dish it but cant take it. AT ALL!!
Spot on TT. Sending you some karma to cheer you up
Old Mar 6th 2006, 10:48 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MartinLuther

What, comments like,

"Shit myself, have you?"

"Whose coat is that jacket?"

"There's Mike, on his bike, down the Rhonda see!"

Mate I'm only kidding with you, I have a few Welsh mates and they are sound. At the end of the day if you can laugh at yourself and laugh with them (your mates) then you can't go wrong.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 11:03 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther

All Welsh most welcome in NZ. One of my old girlfriends was Welsh and her family were a cracking lot.

Especially if you are coming for the world cup (rugby).
Old Mar 7th 2006, 4:56 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Australian Sense Of Humour

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Bullshit! You lot love to dish it out but can't take it! Aussies will spend hours, days and longer 'taking the piss' out of kiwis for example and think they are so bloody great for doing so, but can't stand it when a kiwi gives them a joke or two back. Double standards and insecure methinx.

In nz an aussie will get a few jokes targeted at them, then that will be it. On the reverse, aussies never seem to know when to shutup and give it a rest. And this in the end just pisses people off and makes aussies seem like arrogant dipshits.
Thankyou for your opinion. Others feel differently.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 7:05 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 7:48 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rossifumi
What, comments like,

"Shit myself, have you?"

"Whose coat is that jacket?"

"There's Mike, on his bike, down the Rhonda see!"

Mate I'm only kidding with you, I have a few Welsh mates and they are sound. At the end of the day if you can laugh at yourself and laugh with them (your mates) then you can't go wrong.
I must admit I never heard any of those before – and I’m not quite sure what they mean! I do like the joke about "Dai the Spy" (although it probably only works verbally).

My point was more about the reaction I used to get to "How many times were you buggered in school?" which I used to use in (joking) response to "How many sheep have you shagged?". The quips about being Germans, Animal Lovers and Sexual Deviants were never appreciated either.

It is funny that some poms complain about having the piss taken out of them and that the Aussies react badly when they take the piss back. Surely the view from 180 degrees is the same.

Having lived in England for about half the time I lived in the UK, I know that there are a lot of English out there who are good at the banter... but there are loads that are not. Unfortunately those that are not, tend to be the ones who insist that they have a good sense of humour.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Mar 7th 2006 at 7:51 am.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 8:08 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

As an Aussie, I dont intend to make any comments about any of the posts on here as no matter what I say I would look like I either cant take critisism or I dont have a sense of humour.

So all I am going to add is that I just told my English Hubby about this thread and what some of the comments were and his reply was "What a load of shit!! They should all work where I work....its a bloody laugh a minute!!"
Old Mar 7th 2006, 9:00 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hels
As an Aussie, I dont intend to make any comments about any of the posts on here as no matter what I say I would look like I either cant take critisism or I dont have a sense of humour.

So all I am going to add is that I just told my English Hubby about this thread and what some of the comments were and his reply was "What a load of shit!! They should all work where I work....its a bloody laugh a minute!!"
Must be wrong then
Old Mar 7th 2006, 9:13 am
Tiny Member

tucs is on a distinguished road

UNLESS HE IS UNDER THE THUMB

Originally Posted by fraser
Must be wrong then
Old Mar 7th 2006, 9:16 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hels

Don't sweat it Hels - the whole thread's awash with the forum shit-stirrers ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.