Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australian Identity. What Is It?

Australian Identity. What Is It?

Reply

Old Dec 20th 2017, 3:48 am
  #46  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,790
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Identity. What Is It?

Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Hate filled picking order? How long have you lived there? When was the last time a mosque, church, temple or other place of worship vandalised, burnt down or otherwise treated with contempt?


What other countries allow primary education to be conducted in minority language schools?


Where else do you find a church, mosque and temple on the same street co existing?
Wow. You clearly want to take me down a dark alley for a mugging. Guess what. I'm not playing.


Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
The problem being in Malaysia is institutionalised racism which played a part in rectifying an economic imbalance between races after independence. But has long out lived its usefulness and should be repealed.


This does not infer a hatred between races where is so would have drastic consequences.


Like I wrote previously, Malaysia is a nation that recognises all religious holidays as no hatred in that what so ever.


I've a great idea. How about visiting one day then write about the hatred you witness on a street level?


Same all over Asia? Really? If that's the best observation you can make, hardly worth leaving your suburban paradise then .
Well you clearly have never spent time in Asia, other than the odd holiday.

You want to talk street level. Like jobs, like day to day respect for one another. Spend some time there. Listen to the way the Chinese address the Indians.
Beoz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th 2017, 8:05 am
  #47  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Hill overlooking the SE Melbourne suburbs
Posts: 16,495
BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Identity. What Is It?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle View Post
You can't really say that without spending time here, or in Western Sydney.


I'd say we have more gentrification closer by in Melbournes North compared to Western Sydney and Western Sydney is more clan like, however the mix of people in Melbourne and Sydney are very similar, plus the way the different ethnics associate with each other is very much the same.

Where Aus really excels is how quickly they are willing to take on the handle of being identified as Aussie or more specifically Melburnians or Sydneysiders. That Gentrification is where Melbournes North and W2 would be very much alike in vibe.
+1...Australia does a flavour of multiculturalism where people become as Australian as they can manage..its all a bit rich perhaps to applaud inner city areas when they are affluent and well supported by infrastructure...you won't get many established Or wealthy Anglos in parts of the SW of Sydney...multi-culturalism can mean groups minding their own business..in Melbourne's N the shops and parks bring people together..if you were an angry white man with inferior infrastructure and less supported it might be a different story..
BadgeIsBack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th 2017, 8:24 am
  #48  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Perth
Posts: 5,449
the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Identity. What Is It?

Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
Wow. You clearly want to take me down a dark alley for a mugging. Guess what. I'm not playing.




Well you clearly have never spent time in Asia, other than the odd holiday.

You want to talk street level. Like jobs, like day to day respect for one another. Spend some time there. Listen to the way the Chinese address the Indians.

You really need to take a back seat and listen to those of us that actually know what we are talking about.


You may give an explanation as to why you assume have only holidayed in Asia? Now your humour is reaching the verge of the ridiculous.


Saying that. Don't be shy and stab around in the dark, falling over your feet. Anything you want to know on Malaysia just ask....here to help as always.

Last edited by the troubadour; Dec 20th 2017 at 8:31 am.
the troubadour is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th 2017, 10:43 am
  #49  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,790
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Identity. What Is It?

Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
You really need to take a back seat and listen to those of us that actually know what we are talking about.


You may give an explanation as to why you assume have only holidayed in Asia? Now your humour is reaching the verge of the ridiculous.


Saying that. Don't be shy and stab around in the dark, falling over your feet. Anything you want to know on Malaysia just ask....here to help as always.
Ha yeah. Next time I hit Langkawi after a 2 week stint on the ground, I will let you know. Amateur hour is so much fun.
Beoz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th 2017, 11:08 am
  #50  
Moreland Member
 
ozzieeagle's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 15,112
ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Identity. What Is It?

Thinking about this thread, I think there are at least 3 different styles of Aussie Identity that all ring true.

There's the Urban one, which is very similar in four or five cities, that's Sydney/Melbourne/Adelaide/Canberra and Hobart. There's the Suburban identity, which seems to cover most middle and outer burbs around Australia, including most of the areas of Brisbane and Perth. Then there's the bush identity, which is a pretty random almost eccentric creature.

I was trying also to think of people that personify for me at least a person that represents a typical Australian in my eyes..... Far easier for me to pick a woman in that category.... I'd go with Myf Warhurst or more particularly Julia Zemiro.... Can't come up with a bloke and click my fingers and say that's it yet.
ozzieeagle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th 2017, 9:54 pm
  #51  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Perth
Posts: 5,449
the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Identity. What Is It?

Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
Ha yeah. Next time I hit Langkawi after a 2 week stint on the ground, I will let you know. Amateur hour is so much fun.


You almost had me impressed with claims of knowledge of the street lingo. Finally some hard sought after cred. Alas not to be, with rereading, as you referred to something else. Never been to Langkawi as it happens, but any filling of those extensive gaps in knowledge by someone, as arrogant as it sounds, who has known that country over the decades rather well, I'll still be happy to help.


Now instead of displaying what you don't know about a foreign country, how about a take on Australia, as that is the reason of the thread. If you want to discuss Malaysia, start a thread doing so. A country, I'd be very happy to discuss ......

Last edited by the troubadour; Dec 20th 2017 at 9:58 pm.
the troubadour is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th 2017, 10:13 pm
  #52  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Perth
Posts: 5,449
the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Identity. What Is It?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle View Post
Thinking about this thread, I think there are at least 3 different styles of Aussie Identity that all ring true.

There's the Urban one, which is very similar in four or five cities, that's Sydney/Melbourne/Adelaide/Canberra and Hobart. There's the Suburban identity, which seems to cover most middle and outer burbs around Australia, including most of the areas of Brisbane and Perth. Then there's the bush identity, which is a pretty random almost eccentric creature.

I was trying also to think of people that personify for me at least a person that represents a typical Australian in my eyes..... Far easier for me to pick a woman in that category.... I'd go with Myf Warhurst or more particularly Julia Zemiro.... Can't come up with a bloke and click my fingers and say that's it yet.

Reflective post. I agree. I to find it ever increasingly difficult to pick any one person that represents the typical Australian.


I for one are more than happy that the 'old caricature' of what a typical Australian is supposed to be is passing into history.


People like the infantile Crocodile Dundee for example. Great to see some of 'ethnicity' becoming more at the forefront of the national psychic as well. There remains an old rear-guard out there of course, but thinning in the ranks with a new reality creeping up.......
the troubadour is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th 2017, 10:33 pm
  #53  
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs
 
GarryP's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,199
GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Identity. What Is It?

Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
People like the infantile Crocodile Dundee for example. Great to see some of 'ethnicity' becoming more at the forefront of the national psychic as well. There remains an old rear-guard out there of course, but thinning in the ranks with a new reality creeping up.......
Realism.

As I pointed out, the external australian identity is indeed Crocodile Dundee, and is likely to remain so for quite a while. That's no bad thing since it's a strong brand, in contrast to the weak, US copy, wishy washy, identity that's can be the internal one. I'd disagree with ozzieeagle that you can have multiple internal identities, though I would agree that different people tend to view the 'identity' as more like themselves. Overall I'd peg the internal identity somewhere closer to the cashed up bogan than anything else.

'Multicultural' certainly wouldn't get a look in.
GarryP is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th 2017, 11:49 pm
  #54  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Perth
Posts: 5,449
the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Identity. What Is It?

Originally Posted by GarryP View Post
Realism.

As I pointed out, the external australian identity is indeed Crocodile Dundee, and is likely to remain so for quite a while. That's no bad thing since it's a strong brand, in contrast to the weak, US copy, wishy washy, identity that's can be the internal one. I'd disagree with ozzieeagle that you can have multiple internal identities, though I would agree that different people tend to view the 'identity' as more like themselves. Overall I'd peg the internal identity somewhere closer to the cashed up bogan than anything else.

'Multicultural' certainly wouldn't get a look in.


You are probably right, as many would prefer to deny it, but the cashed up Bogan is probably as good as any definition and will take sometime to change such perceptions.
Around me in the inner city, it is a youngish, (in the main) urban, very tolerant crowd, with growing hipster (gasp) infiltration , but I am au fait enough to this is not the reality of the great mass of middling/outer suburbs where another type of human animal dwells.
the troubadour is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th 2017, 11:59 pm
  #55  
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs
 
GarryP's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,199
GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Identity. What Is It?

Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
You are probably right, as many would prefer to deny it, but the cashed up Bogan is probably as good as any definition and will take sometime to change such perceptions.
Around me in the inner city, it is a youngish, (in the main) urban, very tolerant crowd, with growing hipster (gasp) infiltration , but I am au fait enough to this is not the reality of the great mass of middling/outer suburbs where another type of human animal dwells.
If Melbourne had an identity it would probably be a hipster. Mind that's not even close to the reality either. And they certainly aren't tolerant either (try saying cyclists are a menace...)
GarryP is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st 2017, 4:35 am
  #56  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,790
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Identity. What Is It?

Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
You almost had me impressed with claims of knowledge of the street lingo. Finally some hard sought after cred. Alas not to be, with rereading, as you referred to something else. Never been to Langkawi as it happens, but any filling of those extensive gaps in knowledge by someone, as arrogant as it sounds, who has known that country over the decades rather well, I'll still be happy to help.


Now instead of displaying what you don't know about a foreign country, how about a take on Australia, as that is the reason of the thread. If you want to discuss Malaysia, start a thread doing so. A country, I'd be very happy to discuss ......
Well considering you nearly always push the Australian Identity towards a racist one, I just thought I would let you know how racist other parts of actually were.

You obviously missed that on the sun lounger.
Beoz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st 2017, 5:16 am
  #57  
Moreland Member
 
ozzieeagle's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 15,112
ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Identity. What Is It?

Originally Posted by GarryP View Post
Realism.

As I pointed out, the external australian identity is indeed Crocodile Dundee, and is likely to remain so for quite a while. That's no bad thing since it's a strong brand, in contrast to the weak, US copy, wishy washy, identity that's can be the internal one. I'd disagree with ozzieeagle that you can have multiple internal identities, though I would agree that different people tend to view the 'identity' as more like themselves. Overall I'd peg the internal identity somewhere closer to the cashed up bogan than anything else.

'Multicultural' certainly wouldn't get a look in.

I wish I had more time to punch out a more detailed response. I'd just respond by saying generally speaking where do the overall trends/traits and general influence of any country generally start?

Put another way, the Queen of the right wing Bogans and her divisive message was stopped dead in her tracks when her dubious message reached inner urban Melbourne.

A national identity is always undergoing change and that change in trends almost always starts in the Urban centers.
ozzieeagle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st 2017, 5:34 am
  #58  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Perth
Posts: 5,449
the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Identity. What Is It?

Originally Posted by GarryP View Post
If Melbourne had an identity it would probably be a hipster. Mind that's not even close to the reality either. And they certainly aren't tolerant either (try saying cyclists are a menace...)
Hipsters hit Perth later, but just another shade of mainstream.....
the troubadour is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st 2017, 5:43 am
  #59  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Perth
Posts: 5,449
the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Identity. What Is It?

Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
Well considering you nearly always push the Australian Identity towards a racist one, I just thought I would let you know how racist other parts of actually were.

You obviously missed that on the sun lounger.


Problem is you informed on nothing close to the reality. A country full of hate. Really I wonder if you have, if been there at all, ventured out side the airport bar?


You are quite correct though. I do in my posts refer to the Australian context. Hardly rocket science being the Australian Forum. If I do want to go into detail about something Malaysian, or German or South African I will do so on the forum for that purpose. (to which I at times do)


Probably best not to pass of things as factual from countries you have never resided and heard only second hand from drunken pub talk and social media.
the troubadour is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st 2017, 6:59 am
  #60  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,790
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Identity. What Is It?

Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Problem is you informed on nothing close to the reality. A country full of hate. Really I wonder if you have, if been there at all, ventured out side the airport bar?


You are quite correct though. I do in my posts refer to the Australian context. Hardly rocket science being the Australian Forum. If I do want to go into detail about something Malaysian, or German or South African I will do so on the forum for that purpose. (to which I at times do)


Probably best not to pass of things as factual from countries you have never resided and heard only second hand from drunken pub talk and social media.
Singapore is the same. If you ever bothered to get down and dirty with the locals, you would know the racism which is beyond belief.

Your arm chair works for you. No frequent flyer points there.
Beoz is offline  
Reply With Quote

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement